New Tsa xray machines and patdowns

Racial profiling at it's best. I will say that my mother told me she never felt so safe as she did when flying El Al. Well, once she got past all the guns in sight!! The way they run airport security over there would have the vast majority of people in the US screaming about violation of rights. Too bad...it works very well for them over there.
That airport security, and the accompanying outrage over violation of rights, is WHY Israel doesn't use what some people perceive as 'virtual strip search' scanners.

That airport security, and the accompanying outrage over violation of rights, is WHY Israel doesn't use what some people perceive as 'virtual strip search' scanners.

I would rather have patrolling troops with guns drawn then to walk through an xray scanner so someone can see me naked. And I'm pretty sure I would be one of the people they'd turn it up and save the picture for. They see me 'naked' in even a different way than my DH does, because DH only sees me without a bra, so the TSA screeners get all of the perkiness without the bra in the way.

Just really skeeves me out.

It's absolutely your right to feel that way. The alternative that seems to work even better - the way Israeli airport security is run - would outrage many Americans. Civil rights and all that (again, forgetting there's no right to air travel). http://www.examiner.com/populist-in...rt-security-measures-and-would-they-work-here

From that article... "Would Americans put up with this kind of screening? The cynical answer: Of course they would! All they need is an occasional jolt of "terror" and you'll be amaze at their compliance."

Amazing how true that statement is. :sad2:

Don't care if they see me "naked" (cause it's not really naked in the normal sense - it's just an image, and it doesn't have your recognizable face on it, so who cares?). I'd rather that than to be "felt up". ;)

And I don't fly nearly often enough to be worried about cumulative radiation exposure.

Don't care if they see me "naked" (cause it's not really naked in the normal sense - it's just an image, and it doesn't have your recognizable face on it, so who cares?). I'd rather that than to be "felt up". ;)

And I don't fly nearly often enough to be worried about cumulative radiation exposure.

This is exactly how I feel! It's not like you are stripping down and standing there for all to see. That would be far worse and unacceptable.

As for the radiation, I just don't think it's enough to worry about, even if you are a frequent flyer. I don't fly often enough for it to matter, but even if I did, I still wouldn't care. Between cell phones and microwave ovens, diet coke and theater popcorn, everything out there is, reportedly, going to kill us.

I'd rather be felt up for 30 seconds by a female TSA agent than have the possibility of having a male TSA agent print off a naked picture of me and bring it home.

Besides, there's an easy way around getting felt up. Just don't wear a bra going through security.

I'd rather be felt up for 30 seconds by a female TSA agent than have the possibility of having a male TSA agent print off a naked picture of me and bring it home.

Besides, there's an easy way around getting felt up. Just don't wear a bra going through security.

Are you sure the no-bra thing would work. Wouldn't a wireless bra be just as good, and without the extra jiggle?

Have you seen what the images look like? I'm having a hard time imagining someone would bother to print the grey blob (which they aren't supposed to be able to do anyway) rather than run to 7-11 and buy a girly mag or heck use that thing called the internet.

backscatter_small.jpg

mmw_small.jpg

I guess I just don't get how that's really so "naked" There are much better/easier places to find naked girl parts than some TSA scanner image.

Happened exactly like that to a friend of mine just recently. We were just talking about it last night. She said the 'pat-down' she had was much more invasive than the ones done at the prison she volunteers at!!

Racial profiling at it's best. I will say that my mother told me she never felt so safe as she did when flying El Al. Well, once she got past all the guns in sight!! The way they run airport security over there would have the vast majority of people in the US screaming about violation of rights. Too bad...it works very well for them over there.

Let's not get into a 'discussion' about whether or not security in the US really works. We have no way of knowing. And I actually prefer to blindly go along and think that it does work. Since there isn't much I can do to make it otherwise, I figure ignorance is bliss....just keep those fingers above the waistband please!!!

Something is very wrong when prisons are more respectful of privacy than our airport security apparatus is.

I am one of the people who do not want our transportation systems turn into armed "camps."

As for whether or not security at airports works or not, ignorance isn't bliss, it's simply ignorance. The TSA workers can grope you when and where they please - that isn't good.

If you are selected for a frisk/grope, you do have the absolute right to have it done in a private area and with the witness of your choice. If you do opt for privacy, make sure that the TSA people bring all your carry ons so that you can always see them.

Something is very wrong when prisons ...
... provide better nutrition and basic health care than many low-income and unemployed people have access to.

There are a lot of things that I'm sure we'd each like to change within our society, but I'm sure most people would agree that nutrition and basic health care are critical aspects of life, aspects which our society denies many people for no good reason, while pandering to personal modesty is not as important, by comparison.

Ugh - you aren't naked, what would someone do with the picture? And secondly who would care- I mean really you cannot recognize faces - who would ever know it was you?

Have you seen what the images look like? I'm having a hard time imagining someone would bother to print the grey blob (which they aren't supposed to be able to do anyway) rather than run to 7-11 and buy a girly mag or heck use that thing called the internet.

backscatter_small.jpg

mmw_small.jpg

I guess I just don't get how that's really so "naked" There are much better/easier places to find naked girl parts than some TSA scanner image.

My point exactly...I find this much more preferable to being patted down..and I don't really care who is doing the patting. I just can't imagine that someone is going to print one of those 'photos' down and take it home. But heck....it that's what is going to happen, have at it.

Are the security measures we have at this moment the best possible measures available? Probably not. As someone already said..they are the measures that have been lobbied for the hardest. And that's a sad thing. But, lobbying is a whole different argument for a different board!!! Don't get me started on that particularly nasty part of our 'system'.
But, as it stands now...we can educate ourselves....get as much info as we can so we can do away with rumor and inuendo. Then, we can try to change the system in some way. For the time being, it's not perfect, but is't what we got (so to speak).

Ugh - you aren't naked, what would someone do with the picture? And secondly who would care- I mean really you cannot recognize faces - who would ever know it was you?

Exactly. Who would really "get off" on an image like that, given the other sources out there for much better naked pics? And even if they did, it's not me they're getting off on - they can't see my face, it's just an image of a female body - any female body. They can get that out of a medical text book, for cripes sake! It would be easier!

Exactly. Who would really "get off" on an image like that, given the other sources out there for much better naked pics? And even if they did, it's not me they're getting off on - they can't see my face, it's just an image of a female body - any female body. They can get that out of a medical text book, for cripes sake! It would be easier!

I agree 100%. Seriously TSA screeners are not getting off on your xray photo and they are not being saved in some super secret computer.

If you don't want to go through them thats cool but if your reason is you think these images are "saved" in the government vault somewhere your giving the government waaaaay to much credit.

Seriously, I have a right to be skeeved out by the naked images, really I do. I have a pretty close to perfect hourglass shape and I didn't sign up to be a model or a stripper, thankyouverymuch. I get cat called enough wearing clothes, I don't need to know that there are men looking at my body without them.

It bothers ME, so I am not going to do it, and will be very angry if it becomes a requirement in the future, because it is MY privacy, and MY body.

Today in Miami I opted out. I went through the WTMD, didn't alarm, had an extremely thorough pat-down (everything, even the gentleman area), and was on my way.

hey its your right, if you don't want to go in them. I have no issue with it so ill be using them as it will get me through the process faster then a pat down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter