New to WISH. Thinking of 2006/7 WDW Marathon. (long)

hAm53

hi!!!
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
I'm new over here to the WISH board, but after losing 18 pounds on South Beach, then heading over to WDW last weekend for a planning trip for our wedding, I'm thinking of doing the WDW Maraton in either 2006 or 2007 (it depends on how much vacation time I'll have at work). I think if I know I'll be walking/jogging a marathon, it'll make me train and I'll lose the other 15 lbs that I want to before the wedding in Sept 2005.
I ran all through high school b4 3 stress fractures in my shin ended my running career my freshman year in college. And between work and life, I just can't get out to run anymore (plus the winters in New England don't help much).
Here's the rub . . .
After looking at all of the WDW Marathon info, they want a race result for a race over 10 miles, which I don't have. Now I KNOW that I'll be able to finish the marathon (heck we walked 15.7 miles at MGM and EPCOT last Thursday), but I don't have anything that tells me that I can. It seems like if you don't give them any info, you'll be put in the last corrall. Is that such a bad thing?
I can't really do a 1/2 marathon to get a walking time, as there aren't really any around here. The only one that I could do is back home on Long Island, but I want my doing the WDW Marathon to be a suprise to my parents and sisters after I finish. So if I go home, then they'll know what I'm up to.
I've worked at a bunch of marathons growing up, so I know that people in the back can easily start passing people that start in pens in front of them, but didn't know if WDW was really stringent on the whole needing a time thing.
Sorry this was so long.
~Chris

Hi Chris,
I really can't answer your questions about the marathon, but I wanted to welcome you to WISH. :bounce: The people here are fantastic! I am walking the 1/2 and put down 3.5 hours - so I'll definitely be in the very last corral. Do they actually have to have a race result or could you estimate the time you would finish based on your training between now and then?

I don't think you really need proof of time. Just guesstimate your time and you'll be fine.

Welcome to WISH!

Come often post lots!
:teeth:
I think if you are looking to enter a certain corral you must present time qualifiers. Otherwise you get put back is all.

Hi There!

If I remeber correctly from my marathon registration, they only need time proof from a previous race if you plan on finishing in under 4 hours. I have an estimated finish time of 5:30 -5:45, and I didn't provide proof. I did finish a 1/2 in 2:20 but the race was 3 years ago, and that wouldn't have counted anyway.

I gathered from a race report from the 03 marathon that the sub 4 corralls are in a differnt location than the 4 + corralls. If your goal is to walk/run and be a proud finisher, than you don't need time proof.

I don't know if I will be in the last corrall or not, I will certainly let you know after Jan. where I got put. I can't imagine the last corrall would be too bad. I'm not try to win my age group, qualify for Boston, or any other impressive feat. I just want to finish - and I will be so excited when I do.

Sorry - this was rambling. It must be the cold medicine talking:crazy:

thanks for all the quick feedback!
we've settled on the 2007 marathon, as that'll be easier for us to save vacation time for.
and i know hafta say "we" and "us" since my fiance' decided that she'd wanna walk it with me. "at least they'll be a lot of cool stuff to look at" she says.
do guys and girls get seperated in the last corral, or can i actually walk the whole thing with her?
thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter