New to the board with a few questions

Deltagirl1913

Earning My Ears
I have a 5 day pass, but did not include the park hopper option. We are going on Christmas (Dec. 15-23) and I am curious about which parks we MUST attend. I have a 6 and 11 year old. :yay:

Also, should I switch to the park hopper? We have reservations at Chef Mickeys on Tuesday, Cinderella's Royal Table, Aekershus, and Bippity Boppity Boutique on Thursday. Were going to Mickey's Christmas Party on Sunday, so that day we will be at Magic Kingdom.

Help! Were going for our first time!:banana:

You have to have park hoppers. YOu have reservations at two restuarants at two different parks on the same day. You MUST have park hoppers to travel between parks. You CANNOT use multiple days on your multi-day tickets on the same day.

To re-iterate, to visit two parks on the same day, you must:
A) purchase a seperate ticket (completely physically different ticket than the one you already have)
2) have a park hopper

See Cheshire-Figment's sticky thread vis a vis tickets.

As the previous poster said with your current schedule you have to have hoppers. If you want to cancel Askerhus or CRT (assuming your BBB is at Downtown Disney) you could get by with your current tickets. I would do each of the major parks one day, not do MK no your MVMCP day and go elsewhere, probably AK and then head to MK using your MVMCP ticket to get in after 4pm. Then I would use the 5th day to repeat which park your kids like best, for us it would be Epcot b/c it is so hard to see all in one day and our kids love the World Showcase and at Xmas there are all the Santa storytellers to watch which takes some time.

I don't recommend park hoppers for first time Disney goers. You'll very likely have more than enough to do at each park in a single day, because you've never done any of it before, and you cannot take advantage of Fast Pass as effectively if you hop between parks.

Your Thursday concerns me with or without hoppers. 2 meals and BBB is a lot to do in a day, especially since one of those meals is in a completely different park. If your BBB appt is in DTD, as a previous poster suggested, that complicates matters even further. The parks are not close together. If you have your own car, you can drive between them in around 10 minutes, but you also have to take into account the walking from where you are in one park to the front of that park, then getting from the front of the next park to where you need to be in the next. In most cases, it takes at minimum 30 minutes to get from one place to another when traveling between parks, and that's low. If you're taking Disney transportation, it often takes longer. Either way, the time you spend traveling between parks is time you cannot be spending experiencing attractions. If you add in over an hour for each of the things you have scheduled for that day, you'll be down to a very short amount of time for actually riding rides and seeing shows. I would drop one of the meals on that day. The Akershus ADR would likely be the easiest to switch to a different day. Your daughter(s) won't be dressed up, but it would still be fun.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doing MVMCP during your travel dates. The December 18th party is the last one because they start doing all the party activities (the parade, the fireworks etc) every day from the next day on. The parties allow people who don't want to actually be at Disney for Christmas to actually experience Disney at Christmas. I suppose it might be a decent time to ride some rides, but you could likely get more done by adding a few days on to your regular tickets and arriving at Rope Drop, and it would cost less. I'm sure others have their own opinions about it, and maybe it would be worth it for you, but personally I wouldn't want to do it. I've put some thought into it, because I'm planning on going to WDW for very similar dates next year.
If you do opt to go to the Christmas Party (maybe you've already bought your tickets?) I wouldn't go to the MK for the rest of the day. Your party ticket can get you in at 4pm, so until then you can go to another park, or just hang out at your hotel. It's a late night for most 6 year olds (and most other people too), so it would probably be worth resting up a bit before embarking on it.

Also, what are you planning on doing for the other days you're in Orlando? If you're only doing Disney, I would recommend adding extra days to your tickets and spreading out your parks over those days over doing park hoppers. You would easily be able to fill your days just at Disney.

Okay, so I messed up the schedule....:confused3

Here is the actual places and dates....

Wed., December 21, 2011
Dining- Chef Mickey's at The Contemporary in Orlando, FL, USA at 11:40 AM,

Thu., December 22, 2011
Dining- Cinderella's Royal Table in Orlando, FL at 08:20 AM, ending
Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table

Thu., December 22, 2011
Boutique- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in Orlando, FL at 03:40 PM,

Thu., December 22, 2011
Dining- Akershus Royal banquet Hall in Epcot in Orlando, FL, USA at 05:20 PM,

We've made the Thursday a heavy day because it is the last day there. We will be there From December 18-23rd, so we have some time to eat at some great places. Does this look good? Where else should we consider going?

It's our first time

Okay, so I messed up the schedule....:confused3

Here is the actual places and dates....

Wed., December 21, 2011
Dining- Chef Mickey's at The Contemporary in Orlando, FL, USA at 11:40 AM,

Thu., December 22, 2011
Dining- Cinderella's Royal Table in Orlando, FL at 08:20 AM, ending
Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table

Thu., December 22, 2011
Boutique- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in Orlando, FL at 03:40 PM,

Thu., December 22, 2011
Dining- Akershus Royal banquet Hall in Epcot in Orlando, FL, USA at 05:20 PM,

We've made the Thursday a heavy day because it is the last day there. We will be there From December 18-23rd, so we have some time to eat at some great places. Does this look good? Where else should we consider going?

It's our first time

Like previous posters have said, your Thursday is not doable unless you have park hoppers. CRT is at the Magic Kingdom and Akershus is in Epcot.

If Thursday is your last day, I would think you'd want to spend the day at the park you liked the most. With your present schedule you will literally be spending almost the entire day travelling amongst the parks and eating.

If it was me I would only do one event on your last day, BBB or CRT or Akershus.

If you decide to go with BBB and Akershus, you may have a hard time making your 5:20 Akershus reservation. You can't take a bus from DTD to any of the parks. Even with a car, you may be cutting it close.

As someone else mentioned, go to another park rather than MK on the day you are attending MVMCP in the evening. This will maximize your ability to 'hop' that day without having park hoppers. They let people into the MK around 4 pm for the MVMCP.

I'd really rethink your Thursday!

Okay,

So the agent moved Akershus to Wednesday @ 5:20 pm

Chef Mickey is still at 11:40 (Wednesday)

That Thursday is now Breakfast at CRT 8:20

Enjoy the Park until Bippity BOppity Boutique at 3:40

Finish out the night with dinner at 1900 Park Fare at 6:05

Will this work???? There were some issues getting some of these places on other days. Are there any restaurants that I should consider looking at in addition to these? We will be there for quite some time. FYI, the ending of the trip is heavier because we have a "grand gathering" where family will come in that Monday evening. That said, We are still there from the Thursday night prior to and need to get the other days planned. We will use the MKingdom for that Sunday night, what park is recommended for the other days?

Thank you all for helping me get this worked out!!!

You still may need to clarify whether you are going to BBB in the MK or DTD. Getting from the MK to DTD can be a little time consuming (not to mention getting back).

Okay,

Will this work???? There were some issues getting some of these places on other days. Are there any restaurants that I should consider looking at in addition to these? We will be there for quite some time. FYI, the ending of the trip is heavier because we have a "grand gathering" where family will come in that Monday evening. That said, We are still there from the Thursday night prior to and need to get the other days planned. We will use the MKingdom for that Sunday night, what park is recommended for the other days?

I just wonder if the kids would rather be doing more rides/attractions and less time travelling between places and doing so many sit down restaurants.
For example, Wed you are going to the Contemporary Hotel at 11:40 so you want to arrive at 11:30 are you going to EPCOT before this? Then lets say you are at the restaurant till 1-1:30, leave and travel to Epcot. So with travel time, security etc you will be in EPCOT at 2 or 2:30 and then have to be at supper at 5Pm. That leaves you 2.5 hours to go on rides. Will you even be hungry again by then. My kids would be complaining.

Then on Thursday you are at Magic kingdom, then Downtown Disney and then at the Grand Floridian Hotel if you estimate about one hour of travel time between etc, it's a lot of wasted time.

I agree with others. While the food options are nice, there is so much to do, see, and experience in the parks. Plan on 1 1/2 hours per meal by the time you walk to the restaurant, wait to sit, eat, pay, & leave. While I really like Disney dining, I like the attractions and views even more. You can keep your ADRs until you have your first meal, then determine if you want to keep all of the others. 1900 Park Fare has you leaving the parks - so more time travelling.

Still - great time to be at WDW. It will be here before you know it.

Okay,

:sad1: Sorry, I agree with other posters. You r going to b so upset waiting for bus in dtd. Which hotel r you at? Do you have a car? Brunch at Contemporary is not until 11:30?? Your family will have nothing to do until that time? Since you don't have park hoppers and Contempory is within view of MK so it's like looking in the candy shop with noses pressed up against the window - bus travel is time consuming so you need to limit your travel time and coincide with witchever park your in for your dining experiences. :confused:

Hi. Can you tell us if you're staying onsite at Disney and if you'll have a car? Will you have the dining plan or are you paying out of pocket for your meals?

Sounds like you're depending on a travel agent to book your trip. Have you looked at a Disney World map and do you understand where everything is in relation to each other? For instance, DTD is miles away from Magic Kingdom. Bus waits there are usually 20 minutes or longer before the bus even arrives. You can't go directly to Magic Kingdom from DTD, so you'll have to go to a hotel first, then wait for another bus to MK. If you're driving, you'll still take around an hour to drive between them, park the car, take the ferry or monorail to MK and walk in.

For a first trip, booking a character breakfast to start a day, then a couple of meals inside a park throughout the trip is usually enough. There is SO MUCH to see and do, and nothing takes away from the experience like running from one place to another, waiting for transportation and generally getting angry or frustrated by the schedule.

Plus it will be busy. You'll need as much time as possible inside the parks to try and see a good portion of it.

My opinion would be to cancel some dining. Keep Akershus, Chef Mickey and maybe try Crystal Palace if you can. Get up, go to a park and stay there until you're ready to go back to your room. Add days to your park ticket so you can go to a park every day.

It's really overwhelming to plan a trip without knowing the details of where you're going. Take it slow and easy. You'll want to just walk around and look at everything!

Good luck and enjoy! Christmas at Disney World is awesome. Make sure you spend a lot of time at Osborne Lights at Hollywood Studios!

Okay - I think you've got some good stuff here, and it's potentially doable - but I would not personally do all of it Christmas week and here's why. I would do SOME of your plan.

It would help us- help you - to know where you are staying, and if you are going to use the DIsney transportation or have a car with or without a GPS.

First, let me say I understand how hard it is to picture how BIG Walt Disney world is before you go, and how time consumig it is to get around WDW. WDW is HUGE. Especially on a busy holiday week getting around is VERY unpredictable and takes LOTS of time. How long is impossible to pinpoint exactly, even for someone who has been many times. ButI can tell you the minimums.
You will have LOTS of fun, but understand there will be lines for everything: bathrooms, buses, checking in at restaurants, waits for your tables, waits to get quick serve food, waits to check in, rides. Some of those lines will be long.

You have - what appears to me - to be THREE days in Magic Kingdom. That's the first reason to consider changing something.

It really matters which BBB you are visiting. One is in MK, the other in DTD. They are literally at opposite ends of WDW, and more than an hour apart from each other. IF you were to drop ONE thing, I'd drop BBB. It's great fun for a girl to feel like apincess, but that can be done without BBB, and the logistics are an issue. Buy a Disney dress now for Halloween! Buy a can of glitter hairspray and do her hair yourself. (Only spray it outdoors!) Get manicures or pdeicures before you go to Disney!

You have your daugher going to BBB AFTER one princess breakfast in Magic Kingdom AND before dinner at a second Princess meal In Epcot. That's two in one day. If it were me, I'd buy a princess dress now during Halloween season - and put it on before the first breakfast - if you decide to keep both meals. You are going to take lots of photos at each meal, so you'll want her in a princess dress if she's going to the castle like all the other little girls- not after her visit.

A second reason to drop BBB and one of the princess meals is princess overlap. You'll be seeing Belle, Jasmine, Snow White twice in one day. Simply put, morning Belle and morning Snow White are not going to look the same as dinner Belle, dinner Jasmine and dinner Snow White. Your children are probably old enough to know the gig - but why rub it in their faces and ruin the illusion entirely? Surely they are going to notice thay Belle looks entirley different. The photos from each meal side by side in your photo album will look odd!

Second , as others have pointed out - the logistics of getting to MK, then to DTD, and THEN to Epcot in one day is going to be miserable. You'll spend a minimum of three full hours of your day just getting from place to place - and THAT is if you have your own car. You'll spend a minimum of four hours more likely five if you are using Disney transportation. (it's Christmas week) You can't get directly from a Disney park (MK) to DTD.

***The previous poster was INCORRECT!! Getting from the gate of MK to DTD - even with your own car takes WAY longer than ten minutes. The DRIVING alone- once you are in the car - takes 25. I've timed it more than once. The drive is long and there are LOTS of traffic lights along the route. You can NOT drive between any two parks in ten minutes! it's going to take over ten minutes to get from the park gate to your car, then over ten minutes to dirve, and more than ten minutes to get into the next park. The only two parks that are close are Epcot and HS via the back exit of Ecpot. You can walk briskly between those two parks in about twenty minutes (it's a long walk to do "briskly.") But there is no parking at the back gate of Epcot....I've been to Disney many times. We no longer hop between parks, because it takes too mcuh time, and really limits your ability to go on rides.

More important, getting from the Magic Kingdom GATE to a car is going to take even longer....the parking lot for Magic Kingdom is not anywhere near the park gate of MK. To get from MK parking lot for MK, you have to take a tram AND ride the monorail. You have to WAIT for each vehicle, you have to walk between each of them, then you ride and unload. Additionally, since it's Cristmas week there will be crowds. It could EASILY take you a FULL hour JUST to get from your CAR at the MK parking lot to the GATE of MK. Once you are in the MK, you then have to walk another ten minutes before you get to any RIDES (or the Cinderella Castle). You also have to get through the bag search and turnstile, Chrismas week, there will be crowds at the MK bagcheck/turnstiles. (At the other three parks, you'll park closer.)

In short, just getting to the parks once each day is enough, especially on your first trip, during Christmas week. Don't forget you also have to get BACK out of the parks each night.

If the BBB you booked is the one inside MK, then you can get from the Cinderella breakfast to BBB easliy enough - but then you'd be ding BBB AFTER the breakfast. Your daughter is going to want to be dress up FOR the breakfast and all the photos - not AFTER the meal. If the BB is in the MK though - you are NOT going to want to go from MK all the way to Epcot for dinner. Again, you'll lose too much time.

Before you go to Chef Mickey's you COULD go to the Magic Kingdom. It takes about 20min to get from the gate of MK to Chef Mickeys. Do ask a cast member at teh ENTRANCE of the Contemporary how to find the restaurant! It doesn't take long, but is tricky to find on your own.

While it's possible to get from Chef Mickeys to any of the parks, its' not worth doing, especially not at 11am. If you go to any park other than MK, you'll lose an hour each way getting to and from breakfast, plus over an hour for the breakfast. All at a critical time of the day.

Lines for many attractions at Christmas are going to be (well) over an hour long. At the start of your trip, they will be slightly shorter. As you get closer to Dec 23, the lines will get longer each day. Learn what fastpass is.

The other concern I have about your plans, is that it essentailly puts you as going to Magic Kingdom three days: Wed, Thurs, and Sunday. I don't think i'd do it that way.

What I suggest is that you spend at least one day in each park, with two days in Magic Kingdom and two days in Epcot. Epcot and Magic Kingdom have the most to see, especially during the holidays.

I DO think - however - that you SHOULD also try to walk through at least ONE deluxe resort while you are there. Again, you don't say where you are staying. What I would do is keep my plans simple. I would go to one park each day. I would personally only book one princesss meal - especially since the ones you book require a credit card hold - UGH! if you miss one - you're going to get charged in full on your CC. The logistics of getting to both are complicated. It's truly likely you are going to miss one or the other because you can't get there in time due to big holiday crowds.

All that said- I realize you are going during a busy time and meal openings are limited. If that's the only time you could get Chef Mickey's - then go for it. USe that morning to visit the monorail resorts quickly. Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and maybe the Polynesian. (take the bus from your resort to MK, then walk to the monrail stop - unless you are staying at one ofthe monorail resorts.)

There are LOTS of places to eat that don't require a credit card hold. I generally only pick those ones myself. Again, I realize your choices may have been limited. I would do ONE of the three things you have picked for Thursday. One of them is PLENTY to do in one day - especailly with all the TONS of fun attractions there are to see at WDW. If I were going to do one of them, it would be the princess dinner at Akershus -Or I'd cancel Akershus + BBB, and keep the castle breakfast.

If you are staying on WDW property, and you are staying at a deluxe resort- I'd eat dinner at your home resort - even if it's a late dinner - on the day you go to Animal Kingdom. Mostly, If I was going Christmas week - like other posters said - I'd eat mostly at the quick serve places, especially sine this is your first visit! The logisitics will be WAY less stressful! You can eat when you want, when It's convenient, and you'll minimize how much time you are waiting. Last, you can minimize lunch lines if you avoid eating lunch at noon. Eat by 11:40am - or - wait until after 1:30pm to get lunch with short lines.

The other tip I'd give you is to go light. You will likely need jackets and long pants, but if you can avoid carrying a bag - you'll be able to get inthe parks more quickly, and you won't have to lug all that weight around all day. Wear cargo pants, and put all your belongings in your zippered pockets. If you don't have a bag/pocketbook, you can avoid the bag check line.

The previous posts have great tips and suggestions!
However, my recommendation would be KEEP EVERYTHING SIMPLE.

It's your first time, so everything is new and unknown. As the previous poster noted, Disney is huge and as complex as a city.

I believe you will enjoy a lot better your precious time there if you're not stressing about so many appointments at some many different places (sometimes on the same day) at a time of the year that is extremely crowded.

I cannot say what you should or shouldn't see, because people like different things, however I think you should keep these two things you already have booked: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and CRT.
These are amazing, magical and unforgetable experiences, wich make Disney, well, Disney!

PS- 1900 Park fare dinner is a character meal with Cinderella, wich you'll be doing at CRT.

PS2- You don't need an agent to book you meals. It's quite simple to do it yourself here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/

Deltagirl, can you give us a little more info? That is a nine-day vacation but you've only told us your activities for a few of those days. Will you be on property (in a Disney hotel)? Are you doing just Disney the whole vacation, or are you visiting other parks or attractions also (Universal, Sea World)?

Somehow I missed the part about 1900 Park Fare. Ouch. That is WAAAYYYY too much princess meal; WAY too much of the SAME THING. Also, 1900PF is ANOTHER MEAL located near Magic Kingdom. Also, the food quality at non-character meals is decidedly better. Many dining choices at WDW offer really unique, fun themes, that go well beyond just characters. Ask your TA to suggest something other than a character meal; maybe at one of the other theme parks. But I will modify what I said earlier....of the three princess meals you picked, I'd go with 1900 PF. You COULD easily pair BBB with dinner at 1900PF. That is actually a very nice combination, and GF at Christmas is worth the visit. I'd drop the other two entirely.

Magic Kingdom is the park that is FARTHEST from the other parks. (and has all the parking lot complications I mentioned previously) It's way on the north end of WDW property. While Epcot, HS and AK are also sort of near each other. THe monorail resorts, Ft. W, and WL are all sort of located near MK. AK is kind of in the bottom right corner, and DTD is inthe lower left corner. Most other stuff is more towards the middle of the property. So going anywhere other than MK from Grand Floridian or Contemporary is not a great idea. While you do want to visit MK, you don't want get stuck in that part of WDW every day. This is especailly true during Christmas week. Try looking at Google Maps. The DIsney maps with pictures are wildly inaccurate.

I understand that you like princesses, and want to see them. There are TONS of princess activites, shows, rides in the parks! Princess is everywhere! One place you'll want to see them is the evening parade at MK.

If you want a fun meal, consider Mexico's San Angel, Japan's Teppan Edo, Kona Cafe, SciFi Dine-in, 50's Prime Time, Coral Reef, Garden Griil (has characters), Ray's Starlight cafe (it's a quick Serve), Japan's Yakitori House (also a quick serve; take your food outside).

Okay, looking at the park hours for your time frame and taking into account what you've already told us....

If this were my trip, this is how the itnerary would go:

Thurs 12/15: Travel day

Fri 12/16: EPCOT (with PM EMH)

Sat 12/17: MAGIC KINGDOM

Sun 12/18: Relax in the morning and afternoon, go to MVMCP (4pm-midnight)

Mon 12/19: HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

Tues 12/20: ANIMAL KINGDOM

Wed 12/21: EPCOT. Keep only ONE ADR, either 11:40 am Chef Mickey, OR 5:20 pm Akershus. Cancel the othe one.

Thurs 12/22: MAGIC KINGDOM. Get rid of the CRT reservation--the park has morning magic hours that day. You'll be wasting prime touring time during a busy park day. Keep the 3:40 pm BBB reservation but only if it’s the MK location--otherwise you'll have to move it up or cancel in order to make your dinner ADR. Keep 6:05 pm 1900 Park Faire.

Fri 12/23: Travel day

This itinerary allows you to keep some of your existing activities. There's no need for parkhoppers. It gives you two days in Epcot and two days in Magic Kingdom (plus the Christmas party night). It keeps you OUT of extra magic hours for the most part, except for PM EMH at Epcot 12/16 and AM EMH at Magic Kingdom 12/22. It also gets you into Epcot and Magic Kingdom towards the beginning of your trip when (hopefully) the crowds will be a little lighter. And it cuts down some of the running around and sitting around eating.

If you're not staying on property... then you really should AVOID all EMH parks, however.

Edited to add: You would need to add a day to your tickets for this plan, if you only have 5-day tickets now.

Please don't become overwhelmed or upset about how complicated this all has sounded. I read all the posts and you got excellent advice. When typed out it just sounds awful and confusing. It's really not, and all of it is sound advice. I really liked the the itinerary format. Did you know that the bulk price of a park ticket is in the first couple three days. Additional days are then just a very small amount. Like an ice cream cone 2.00 one scoop, two scoops 2.35

You have kids and you want to take them to character meals and that's okay by me. I love CRT and had a good time at 1900's dinner. However, I am one of the very few that did have a pleasant experience at Ankershus. It just didn't feel right to me. And I only went at breakfast when they serve mostly non-Norwegian food. Have you checked out the menu for dinner at Ankershus to make sure that your kids will eat the food?

I know another poster mentioned Crystal Palace but that may be a fairly difficult reservation to get at this point. A call could clear that up. If you want another fun character breakfast, consider 1900 Park Fare (Mary Poppins, Mad Hatter, Alice, Tigger and Pooh) or Cape May (at the Beach Club where you can walk into the back part of Epcot and have breakfast with Minnie, Donald and Goofy). Also, I highly recommend the Garden Grill if you can get in.

I'm confused. You said that you're going to a MVMCP but there are no parties for the dates that you listed ressies for.

There are lots of great restaurants at WDW but you know your children best and you know what they will eat. Is it worth it to force them to try something new and possibly have a meltdown or is it better to stick with the tried and true to keep the peace? Only you know how they react when they get tired. Good luck!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter