New to Pins - where can I buy from a store?

FirstTimeWithMickey

Earning My Ears
My kids are interested in trading, but we haven't done any of this before. I like the idea of my shy kids having to talk to CM to open them up. But the only pins I see available for sale at stores around us have rating messages saying they were hard to trade. So my question is do you just buy them when you get there? We were going to buy some on ebay but I don't want to worry about scappers and I don't want 50. LOL. Just a few to get them started. So would the Disney stores have more than what is showing online? There were very few available to purchase from the store. If I buy my kids the starter sets is that going to mean the CM have them already because EVERYONE is buying them so therefore hard to trade? I don't want my kids to be disappointed. Thanks for any help!

From my knowledge, the Disneystore does not have a lot of pins. I don't see much if any at our DS. You can certainly buy pins while you are there, the pin traders at Downtown Disney has the largest variety and you'll find a lot of starter packs. Pins are everywhere. CMs don't normally have a ton of the starter pack pins, they usually keep 7-8 on their lanyard at a time so even if they do, they'll have something else.

Make sure you look for the 20% discount on the quick service receipts, might be able to pick up a few pins cheaper that way.

Also be aware that CMs do have scrapper pins on their lanyards since they're allowed to accept them from guests, the only ones they can't trade are non-disney pins. So, when you go to trade you might find a lot of scrappers, just ask the CM if you can hold the pin to check or see if they know whether it's legit.

Also, all merch CMs have lanyards and some stores have a pin board. Mousegears has one, though I think it's only put out at certain times. Stage One Muppet Shop at DHS has a pin board, just as one of the CMs if you could see it. At Storybook Big Top on each side there is a box of "popcorns" that have pins stuck on the tops, they are usually sitting out so just ask to see it. Most of the hotels have pin boards out at certain times of the day, I've found pretty good ones there.

Have fun!

Thank you! That is good to know! Downtown Disney is outside of the park, is that correct? We could find that before we head in so they would have them already? The hard part may be getting my daughter to trade them...lol. So many are really adorable. :)

Thanks for answering! :)

My kids are interested in trading, but we haven't done any of this before. I like the idea of my shy kids having to talk to CM to open them up. But the only pins I see available for sale at stores around us have rating messages saying they were hard to trade. So my question is do you just buy them when you get there? We were going to buy some on ebay but I don't want to worry about scappers and I don't want 50. LOL. Just a few to get them started. So would the Disney stores have more than what is showing online? There were very few available to purchase from the store. If I buy my kids the starter sets is that going to mean the CM have them already because EVERYONE is buying them so therefore hard to trade? I don't want my kids to be disappointed. Thanks for any help!

In my experience, the Disney Stores (brick-and-mortar stores) don't have a wide selection. I would look at DisneyStore.com; they frequently have sales and free shipping promotions.

In terms of buying pins once you get there, I would look to buy one of the starter sets or sets rather than individual pins. The cheaper the set, the more often you'll see those pins on the CM lanyards. When they were doing a $20 starter set as the "purchase with purchase" option, those pins seemed to be on every lanyard. In most cases, there are enough starter sets that you should still be able to find enough CMs that don't have those pins on their lanyards.

Each park has one major pin shop, as well as DTD. Finding pins, and starter sets, is really easy in WDW.

Regarding scrappers/fakes/counterfeits, I will say that if you do trade with CMs, there is a high likelihood that you'll end up with scrappers/fakes/counterfeits. That's not to say you shouldn't trade, but it is something to keep in mind.

eBay has some good sellers that do often offer pin sets at a discount (I think they're either buying them at the clearance centers in Orlando, have the CM discount, or something like that). If you stick to sellers that are offering pin sets still on their backing and wrapped, you stand a much better chance of getting a legitimate set.

Thank you! That is good to know! Downtown Disney is outside of the park, is that correct? We could find that before we head in so they would have them already? The hard part may be getting my daughter to trade them...lol. So many are really adorable. :)

Thanks for answering! :)

Yes! If you're staying on site you'll have a bus that can take you to Downtown Disney. If you're driving yourself you can drive there as well, it is still on Disney property. But you can find starter pins anywhere, however, Downtown Disney Pin Traders has the widest selection.

Go check out and join my Facebook Group! I'm a Disney World personal shopper and can get any of the pins available! I don't mark up the price so you pay what I pay + tax, shipping and a small service fee :)
I've noticed that you've posted on a few threads to the Collector's Board and are fairly new, but it is technically against the board rules to post advertisements (see Section 7).
http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter