New to DSLR

tylersmith

Mousketeer
Jeez, you guys probably get tired of hearing this. But I'm about to order my first DSLR (nikon d3100). I don't want to spend a lot because I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I usually take short video clips with a point and shoot to make a vacation video but now i want to step it up. I will most likely begin to do pictures as well. It comes standard with an AF-8 DX VR 18-55 lens. Are there any others you recommend to get too? And some tips to get started that you wish you had? Thanks so much in advance

I'd stick with the kit lens until you get a feel for how you shoot. It's really easy to go out and spend a lot of money on lenses that end up being the wrong lenses for your style.

As far as what else to do... learn. Learn the basics about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. How they affect the image and how they work together to make the exposure. Those things will also help you with video as well. Understanding just the basics of the technical aspect is the single biggest thing you can do and it's also the cheapest.

photo_chick said:
I'd stick with the kit lens until you get a feel for how you shoot. It's really easy to go out and spend a lot of money on lenses that end up being the wrong lenses for your style.

As far as what else to do... learn. Learn the basics about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. How they affect the image and how they work together to make the exposure. Those things will also help you with video as well. Understanding just the basics of the technical aspect is the single biggest thing you can do and it's also the cheapest.

Thank you so much.

I'd also recommend this book if you really want to get a grasp on the basics.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
ir

Agree with Photo Chick -

Part of growing as a photographer is figuring out what kind of pictures you like to take and then you can start buying lenses towards those kinds of goals. Playing with the kit lens will get you a feel for your style and eventually you'll find yourself going "If I only had a lens that did X I could've gotten that shot"

And then you're in trouble because you're hooked. :lmao:

For me it started with a kit lens a camera that did the typical 18-55mm. Eventually I upgraded to a 24-105 for the better zoom and image quality but I really didn't have a true "style" at the point. It really kicked in for me when I was trying to get a picture of some landscape and couldn't figure out why my 24mm lens couldn't fit the whole scene in. I really didn't think there would be that much difference between 24mm and 18mm but there *IS* and with that Eureka (hey, Math works!) moment I realized that I wanted an even wider angle and sprang for a 10-22mm EF-S lens (This was on a Canon rebel).

Eventually you may find your way to prime lenses (no zooms) which give you far sharper images with better lighting conditions (but you can't zoom!).

Personally I've settled on the typical 3 lenses - a wide angle, a general purpose lens (used to be my 17-55 EFS but looking at the full frame equivalent now) and a zoom lens (70-300). Although when travelling the wide angle is almost always on the camera by default.

Was that on sale? showing its $429 online right now

In store clearance while supplies last!
Saw another tonight in NJ.
They also have the d-3100 with two NON VR lens and bag for $350.
IMO NOT a good choice as any slight movement will blur the pictures !

I ended up getting the Canon t3, target priced matched a bundle they had online. Camera w/lens, 300mm lens, bag, memory card. $449, then 5% off with my target red card. ;) Im so excited to start learning how to take better pics. My Nikon point and shoot took the worst pics! I've been eyeing a DSLR camera for 2 years, this past weekend my Nikon took horrible grainy yellow pics at my daughter's baptism, so the time was right. *Sorry if i hijacked this thread*

I ended up getting the Canon t3, target priced matched a bundle they had online. Camera w/lens, 300mm lens, bag, memory card. $449, then 5% off with my target red card. ;) Im so excited to start learning how to take better pics. My Nikon point and shoot took the worst pics! I've been eyeing a DSLR camera for 2 years, this past weekend my Nikon took horrible grainy yellow pics at my daughter's baptism, so the time was right. *Sorry if i hijacked this thread*

Good Luck !
Just like the Nikon make sure your 300mm lens has the (IS) stabilizer switch for easy photo taking!
Wih out this feature any movement will cause a blur picture !
If no stabilizer a steady hand, monopod or tripod !
Have fun! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter