New To Disney Cruising-Who To Book With?

LoveMyMoos

Mouseketeer
I'm seriously considering booking a cruise for our family of 5 next February. I've looked at prices on the Disney site, but I've also very briefly browsed travel websites, and it looks like some of them offer things like onboard credit and such. I haven't gotten quotes from any of them yet. Would it be better for me to book through a travel company? Will the cost of the cruise be higher that way? Is there a difference in the deposit I would have to make? Lastly, if I would get a better deal going through a travel company, does anyone have any recommendations on who to go through? TIA!

I'm seriously considering booking a cruise for our family of 5 next February. I've looked at prices on the Disney site, but I've also very briefly browsed travel websites, and it looks like some of them offer things like onboard credit and such. I haven't gotten quotes from any of them yet. Would it be better for me to book through a travel company? Will the cost of the cruise be higher that way? Is there a difference in the deposit I would have to make? Lastly, if I would get a better deal going through a travel company, does anyone have any recommendations on who to go through? TIA!

Too funny! I JUST posted the same question! Great minds?

I just booked our first cruise ever this morning and booked through a TA. I know lots about WDW but very little about cruising so want to have the best experience we can. A cruise is not something we'll be able to do often.

Anyway, I like the fact that I have a 'go to' person to help me with the booking and any questions I might have. She's already been a wealth of knowledge in the 3 days I've worked with her and I'm SO happy to be using her.

(I don't believe we're supposed to recommend agencies here so I'm purposefully not sharing the name.)

Anyway, the cost of our cruise was 100% the same as I was being quoted on the Disney site but comes with a very knowledgeable TA assigned to me for the duration and also we will receive a $100 on board credit to boot!

These are a couple of the reasons I chose to use a TA and I'm already thankful!

Cost-wise, there is pretty much no difference between booking through a TA and booking directly through DCL. Many TAs will give you some sort of incentive to book through them. Disney-certified TAs (like www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com or www.smallworldvacations.com) will offer on-board credit (OBC). I know Costco had a deal going where you'd get a Costco gift certificate or some such. Another TA offers a bunch of frequent flier miles.

The big advantage to booking directly is that you can make changes at will. If you book through a TA, your TA has to make those changes on your behalf. Personally, I book through a TA in order to get the OBC. Additionally, DCL keeps track of which travel agency you used, so if you want to re-book on board, they can re-book under your travel agency, and you should get any resulting bonuses from that. But do check with your TA about that.

One other thing to be aware of: if you shop around, you're going to see lots of different ways of seeing exactly the same information presented. Let's take the Feb 2, 2013 Fantasy as an example. On www.skymilescruises.com, they're advertising "Balcony as low as $1673". On disneycruise.disney.go.com, verandah staterooms start $3547.56 for 2 people, and they specify Cat 4A. Why the discrepancy?
Digging deeper, on the DCL site you see they charge each guest $1701, and they add $145.56 for taxes and fees. If you go far enough into the skymilescruises process, you'll see they're also offering Cat4A, and when you drill down to the pricing, what's available is $1701 per person plus $72.78 per person in taxes, for a grand total of $3547.56.
The only difference is you get a couple thousand miles added to your frequent flier card if you go with skymilescruises.

I booked mine through AAA and saved a few hundred over the Disney online rates. I can give you the email of my agent (she's in Charlotte) and has been great.

[EDIT - She saved me money by recommending connecting staterooms vs. the suite I was originally looking at. They also have their own "perks" which is about a $100/stateroom value. This years is 4 (8X10) photos and 3 (6X8) photos from Shutters. So the savings in the multiple staterooms and the AAA perks was a few hundred dollar value. Sorry for the confusion.

rbadger said:
I booked mine through AAA and saved a few hundred over the Disney online rates. I can give you the email of my agent (she's in Charlotte) and has been great.

If this is accurate, it is a violation of Disney's policies.

I've heard that www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com gives a nice little gift.

However, I have enjoyed the service received from our TA, www.mouseunlimited.com, so far. They are fast, friendly, and communicate clearly if they go out of town (like on their own cruise) and won't be responding immediately because of it.

(we can give TA names, we just have to spell the whole thing out so it doesn't appear that we are bypassing board filters, in case that TA is one that is Not To Be Named here)

Other than little services on top of the basic stuff, all Disney TAs have access to the exact same deals, and none should be differently *priced* than the others. Unless they've purchased a block of cabins, but in THAT case you're going to be dealing with restrictions that I, personally, have no interest in dealing with.

I had the same question a week ago. After some advice from fellow disboard users, I went with Lisa Reese at Pixies and Pirates Destinations (Lisa@pixieandpiratedestinations.com). I can't tell you how wonderful she has been. I always get an email reply within five minutes. She is so wonderful that after hearing my comments, my sister moved her booking to Lisa. She also received an obc. I am so thankful that I decided to use a TA. She handles everything. I don't know how, but she managed to find us a room extremely close to the one my sister had booked much earlier!

I booked with cruisevacationoutlet and have gotten exceptional service from Chris. they're rates are exactly that as Disney's published rates and they gave us a very nice OBC as well.

ohanaMAMA said:
Lisareese@pirateandpixiedestinations.com hands down. She is amazing

She really is! I can't believe the things she is able to pull off. I could never make those things happen on my own. She must have a friend on the inside. : )

That's impossible - AAA has to book thru Disney's TA online system or over the phone.

Also, AAA has a standing promotion (last year switched to a credit towards Shutters) and sometimes have special promos like gift cards.

For example, I recently booked KSF for this coming February. If I would have gone with DU or SMV, I would have only gotten $100 OBC. But thru AAA I was able to get a $100 Gift Card and the $100 Shutters credit.

Still, I'm the type that wants to book myself. So I do have an online booking for which I'm waiting to move to Dec '14. Once it is moved the way I like it, I will transfer the res over to AAA.

Not sure about AAA perks but most TAs offer a smaller OBC if the reservation is transferred, which it must be prior to making final payment. The reason for this is that DCL pays a lesser commission for a transfer. OBC is basically the TA sharing his/her commission with you as a thank you for booking.
With my TA the OBC is half so I'm always sure to name her as my TA when booking onboard.
As for "being in control", I don't mind letting her do it all. For example, prior to the 2014 cruises being released, I emailed her to move one of my dummy dates to an Easter cruise on the Fantasy when they do get released. I just give her my category choice and 1st/2nd choice cabins or that vicinity. Since holiday sailings book fast (& prices go up fast) I knew I wouldn't have time to sit on hold for DCL. (Platinum & gold can book a day or 2 early and not online.) So one day, I came home from work and read the email with my confirmation that it was taken care of. That's what I love about having a TA. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter