New to Cruising! Any tips?

Mandy Poppins

Mouseketeer
Our son has graduated college and our daugher is starting her junior year in college. My husband and I have booked our first ever cruise. Just us and it is 4 day cruise at the end of January on the Disney Dream from Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas. We have been to Disney World 7 times and I am very comfortable with planning those trips. Does anyone have any tips for a first time cruise couple?

We are flying direct from Asheville NC to Fort Lauderdale and have booked Hilton Garden Inn near airport/cruise ports for a couple of nights on front end and one night at the end of the cruise. Our stateroom on the ship is an oceanview with verandah. I'm excited but nervous as it's out of my comfort zone.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Any tips would be appreciated!
  • Relax - it isn't like Disney World!
  • Read the DCL Blog to find out about daily activities/menus etc for the Dream. (https://disneycruiselineblog.com/ - select Personal Navigators on the left or menus in the middle)
  • You'll be able to book tastings, specialty dining, and excursions 90 days out. Check out the menus to see if that would be of interest.
  • If you're looking to do or not do anything in particular, board members here can provide more specific details on things (e.g., excursions, Castaway Cay, etc.)

Go in knowing you will NOT be able to do and see everything. We just spent 11 nights on the Dream, and were not able to see and do everything. Definitely spend some time on these boards..maybe check out some trip reports to get an idea of what is available or looks interesting to you. Narrow it down to what will make your vacation the experience that you will enjoy. Have a great cruise!

I’d say for your first cruise don’t be SUPER concerned with the “frills” you see all us veterans talk about on here. For example, Palo and Remy, like if you want to do it and can grab a spot for it, go for it! But don’t think your Cruise will just be ruined if you don’t get it. It’s DCL, you are going to have a great cruise no matter what! It’s DISNEY! Plus, there are A LOT of great things to do on board that aren’t “frills”. That is something we realized we missed out on our first cruise because we are huge WDW-er’s and know a thing about booking ourselves to death! Haha. Like book what you want, but don’t be afraid to just ride the wave too. For example, drawing - my Mom loves it, but we didn’t do it at all on our first cruise because we didn’t know not to book ourselves for the frills. There is A LOT to do. A LOT of people to meet (both cruisers and crew members! Like your stateroom host!). And A LOT of things to discover. Also, take advantage of your verandah especially in the morning when the sun is rising! I am not someone who gets up early, but put me on a Disney Cruise, and I am out of bed and headed to Cove Cafe to get my Chai Latte as soon as it opens so I can sit on the verandah and watch the sunrise!

Read these boards, you will gain so much information. Read some trip reports.
It’s a much more leisurely pace. You can not do everything or you can absolutely nothing, besides sunning yourself and eating a lot.
You will see so many characters with short lines or just walking right by you.
Enjoy the adult areas.
Eat at Palo. Take in a movie. Go to Cove Cafe. Roam the ship. Enjoy Castaway if in your itinerary.

Happy first cruise, it won’t be your last!
🚢😎👍🏻💫✨🌴

Depending on your stops, don't feel obligated to do an official tour. My first time cruising I got off and explored what was walking distance, had authentic food, shopped a little etc. You can research stops before hand to see if there is anything you'd like to do that is a mile or less from port.

Don't feel like you need all the extra frills! Sure formal night clothes, pirate night costumes, etc are all fun but if that kind of stuff stresses you out don't feel like you have to participate.

4 days is short in the cruise world so prioritizing relaxing and reconnecting with DH. Enjoy rh adults only restaurants, bars, pool, and entertainment. If you are into massages perhaps go for the premium couples massage. You get a private deck with Jacuzzi and swing type lounger.

If you are a drinker, I tend to find a bartender or server I like. They will make sure you get the drink you want when you want it and will check on you frequently, but in a good way. It may mean you are hanging out in the same deck area to get that, or same bar, but that's been okay for me to get the level of service.

Once you get on the ship, you can sign up for a discount for your next cruise on the app. You can get your money back if it doesn't work out, but it's only $250 for the placeholder. Worth it.

I like to eat lunch in one of the full service dining rooms. It's usually almost empty, so very quiet and again, great service. Good options too.

Love the Dream. Doing the transatlantic this September 17th bringing her back from Europe. Our daughters are grown so it's me and the wife now so enjoy your time alone on the outside deck of Meridian Lounge at night or at the Skyline lounge. See the shows and watch a movie. I wouldn't worry about making Palos or Remy. Hope you have fun.

My Wife and I went on our first cruise ever in Feb. on the Wish. We booked it basically last minute and had no idea what we were doing, but it was pretty easy. You will need to find your Assembly Station on the first day, a letter designating your assembly station will be on the bottom of your Boarding Pass and the back of your room door. Your luggage will be delivered to your room around check in time, I believe it was 2pm. The only snag we ran into was we didn't realize we needed to pack our bags and have them sitting outside the room by 10pm the night before disembarkation. A newbie mistake and so we had to rush pack everything at 10pm and get it all out in the hallway by 10:15pm or so. Haha

Last edited:
You have experience traveling. That’s a major hurdle. You know your air plans, hotels and dates. Check - you’ve covered so much already, along with the cruise.

Make sure you have a current passport (not required for cruising to Bahamas, just a good backup if an emergency flight home unregrettably happens). If not, be sure to have a state-issued birth certificate and photo ID for each of you,

You can (and most veteran cruisers do) skip a port excursion in Nassau. Check out options if want to visit the water park at Atlantis resort or take a boat over to Blue Lagoon for a beach day or dolphin experience or go to Pearl Island. A lot if us just stay in the boat. It is an easy port to walk from the ship and walk around a bit and see the town for themselves. You might find some aspect you love. Margaritaville is walking distance and offers a day pass to its beach front and smaller water feature area.

Castaway Cay offers some boat-based excursions. Give the excursion list a look over and see if there’s something that interests you. The island is only for Disney, offers a relaxed environment with free loungers and shade umbrellas. An adequate lunch is offered (In both family and adult areas). There are beaches available to everyone and then an adults-only beach, Serenity Bay. You can ride trams to your destination after a short walk. Souvenir shops and bars are available on the island.

The ship provides towels for both the island and for use at the ship’s pools and spa.

I firmly believe a first time cruiser can go and do nothing extra on a short cruise and be satisfied. Show up with some clothes - don’t forget bathing suit, sun hat, and sunscreen - and you are pretty good to go. That was my experience.

You will have an assigned restaurant and table each night. You will not miss out experiencing any menu if you just eat in the MDRs (Main Dining Rooms). There are extra-charge Adult-only restaurants onboard. First time guests have difficulty pre-booking but might be successful once on the ship. Brunches are more likely to be full. My family skips Pirate night in the MDR, as we aren’t fans of the menu (other people love it).

Three nights, there will be a production show in the main theatre. (The 4th night is a variety- type act). Two show times, coordinated to go with the two dinner seating times. (Designed that no one misses them because of scheduling.) No reservations / tickets necessary.

Throughout the day, you can choose to do nothing or attend a scheduled activity. What, where and when for your particular cruise will be discovered by you (on the app you put on your cruise) each evening for the next day. No scheduling fast passes / virtual queues or lightning lanes).

Nighttime activity for adults is from about 10/10:30 - midnight, maybe 1 am. It’s tame. The ship is basically asleep from midnight (or earlier until morning).

I am not a (edit: party) person and have happily fallen into a pattern when cruising. On a non-port day, I have three meals, play Adult trivia (because I am very weak in Disney knowledge that is often the focus of all-age games). Enjoy the ship, walk around, see the evening show and see a movie - either in the nice Buena Vista Theater (current theater movies from Disney Co) or late night outside on the jumbotron (Funnelvision) - these are more PG-13 releases from recent years. Maleficient 2, Jungle Cruise, Cruella, Captain Marvel, for example. It’s not busy, but it is relaxing.

Often adults will sunbathe, get coffee from Cove Cafe, read books, chat with fellow guests, go to the spa for treatments or use the free gym, enjoy drinks from the various bars, participate in the free activities (typically 30-45 minutes per session). And meeting Disney characters. Unlike WDW, it Is not designed for you to schedule, pre-book, or fill your day with activities - or standing in lines.

Pools are notoriously small on cruise ships. Often full of people standing in the water; it just depends on time of day.

I find the website, Disneycruiselineblog, to be very helpful with information. For example, you can see the menus for the restaurants here:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

Have a great cruise!

Ask us for more specifics if you want.

Last edited:
My Wife and I went on our first cruise ever in Feb. on the Wish. We booked it basically last minute and had no idea what we were doing, but it was pretty easy. You will need to find your Assembly Station on the first day, a letter designating you assembly station will be on the bottom of your Boarding Pass and the back of your room door. Your luggage will be delivered to your room around check in time, I believe it was 2pm. The only snag we ran into was we didn't realize we needed to pack our bags and have them sitting outside the room by 10pm the night before disembarkation. A newbie mistake and so we had to rush pack everything at 10pm and get it all out in the hallway by 10:15pm or so. Haha

Good info. Were you aware you could just take your bags with you the next morning?

Read message boards (DIS and Reddit are the two best), watch YouTube videos, read some articles. Don't overwhelm yourself but it will be helpful to get a general idea of what to expect because there will be a lot to take in. Similar to Disney World, it is impossible to do EVERYTHING, especially if it's a shorter cruise to the Bahamas. Pick some things you know you want to do, and then fill in the gaps. Don't feel like you have to always be on the go to see and do it all. You're on vacation!

One thing that I always tell people is that if you aren't sure about what dish to get at dinner, ask for both! You have already paid for it so it's a fun opportunity to try new things without worrying about the bill. Your servers will actually encourage this. If you don't like it, you can ask for something else. Now don't cheat the system and order like 4 of each, but you can order multiple apps/entrees and it's not a big deal.

For your first cruise, I would book an excursion through DCL. Yes, it's more expensive but it will be a lot more seamless since it's all a brand new place and if something comes up where you are late, the ship will wait for you. If you go 3rd party, you don't have that insurance. Of course if you just want to walk around, shop and eat for an hour or two, you do that on your own. But if you are doing an excursion, stick with DCL. Even on other lines, I don't mind paying the extra money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter