New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see. FWIW, Disney Shanghai has these kind of multi-day tickets and has a 'value' to 'peak holiday' price swing of close to +200%. That kind of differential might be enough to shift the needle and get people to switch when they take trips.
Holy moly!:crazy2:

Just stay onsite or stay onsite with a PACKAGE?
I don't book packages b/c they are less flexible to late changes, different people having diff tickets, etc. So will I (and dvc and ap holders, etc) have to pay extra for flexibility since we won't have packages. Seems like how it is reading so far. Will be interesting to see.
From Disney's perspective I can see multiple reasons why they prefer package guests. One of the biggest being that they get the balance much earlier and that accrues interest for them, instead of the guest.
If you have an AP, you don't need ticket flexibility...

good point, so mark them off the list

It could have a secondary impact if they are traveling with non-AP holders. I have heard various stories where some in the group have an AP and some do not for a variety of reasons. My next trip will be like that.

Just read Josh’s take on this. Interesting and worth a quick read.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/thoughts-disneys-date-based-ticket-pricing/

"And with the per-day cost of a ticket rising above $125, it doesn’t seem like it’s in Disney’s best interest for people to focus on that again and again as they click through the price calendar. "

One day tickets are already maxed at $129, so that's not new, but they already announced that the max price will already be $129 for single day tickets.. It sounds like he's implying that per-day, multi-day tickets on peak days will surpass the cost of a single day, but I'm not entirely sure why he would think that.

The Mousesavers article claims you can upgrade to a more expensive ticket (add # days, change date range for same # days, etc) at any time yourself, and pay the difference at that time. But if you want to downgrade, you get no refund. If the pricing is truly going to be static once released, I don't understand...

1) Why ever pay the $50 flexible fee at all upfront? Sounds like the system has some amount of flexibility and you just pay your new rate? Is the main selling point of the Flexible option really the flexibility of the 14-day use window, versus the flexibility of the assigned ticket dates? Is that really the "feature" that the $50 differentiates?
2) Seems like there will be an unnecessary burden to try and purchase the cheapest possible ticket that covers your initial plans, and just tweak it upwards if/when needed. Can't see the incentive of purchasing on the high side if you can never downgrade and recover the investment.
The flexibility would be to use a 5 day ticket for 14 days instead of 8 days. If you like to take rest days or go to other parks in the middle! You might need the flex days.

When AP costs went up earlier in the year, did the announce it in advance or was it effective immediately?

"And with the per-day cost of a ticket rising above $125, it doesn’t seem like it’s in Disney’s best interest for people to focus on that again and again as they click through the price calendar. "

One day tickets are already maxed at $129, so that's not new, but they already announced that the max price will already be $129 for single day tickets.. It sounds like he's implying that per-day, multi-day tickets on peak days will surpass the cost of a single day, but I'm not entirely sure why he would think that.
Josh isn’t stating he thinks that is the pricing of single day tickets. He’s just using $125 to say Disney doesn’t realize that any rational person will not want to open a calendar of ticket pricing and note that $125 is the price point assigned to each day.

Josh is only predicting the “fall-out” from this new process and is not predicting the price point.

If I purchase a 10 day hopper from a discount site, how long are they good for right now? Is it just through 2018?

If I purchase a 10 day hopper from a discount site, how long are they good for right now? Is it just through 2018?
I just purchased 10 day hoppers physical tickets through UCT that expire in February 2019. But I’m probably returning them to go ahead and buy an annual pass.

We will lose $100 on the return but I think we will save money in the long run if annual pass prices go up.

The etickets are good through December 2019

well disney is losing out now on some of our money.. We did a land and sea this August and booked again DCL next year..
This year we did POP package 5 nights, 3 night BC, 4 night Dream and then 1 night ASMo.
With our package we got 8 days instead of 5 or 6 and used the rest when we returned after the cruise. we were within our 14 day validity time. Besides the cruise breaking up park days.. we buy PH + and took a Park day break and did a half day water park.. With PH+ we can really spread our fun out over a long vacation ( 8 day PH+ for 2 weeks)..

We loved the dream and decided on doing the 7 night fantasy... we planned on doing the same.. but with less disney park days.. maybe 5 ( 3 before and 2 after).. with this new system. those tickets will expire while sailing.

so instead of booking the BC for our post cruise night and enjoying Epcot..we will most likely now stay offsite. which we never do... for us there is no value of onsite without a park ticket. We will have a rental anyways from the port, so MDE is not an issue. on a happy note, I am now saving 400 plus on a BC room and WDW food for 2 days. We might check out Volcano Bay. and stay at a budget place on I4.

I feel bad for also those that NEED a non park days... I know some that do Park, rest, Park, rest... that spread out also the validity time frame.

From my understanding the upprice for flexible doesnt cover extending validity to 14 ?

well disney is losing out now on some of our money.. We did a land and sea this August and booked again DCL next year..
This year we did POP package 5 nights, 3 night BC, 4 night Dream and then 1 night ASMo.
With our package we got 8 days instead of 5 or 6 and used the rest when we returned after the cruise. we were within our 14 day validity time. Besides the cruise breaking up park days.. we buy PH + and took a Park day break and did a half day water park.. With PH+ we can really spread our fun out over a long vacation ( 8 day PH+ for 2 weeks)..

We loved the dream and decided on doing the 7 night fantasy... we planned on doing the same.. but with less disney park days.. maybe 5 ( 3 before and 2 after).. with this new system. those tickets will expire while sailing.

so instead of booking the BC for our post cruise night and enjoying Epcot..we will most likely now stay offsite. which we never do... for us there is no value of onsite without a park ticket. We will have a rental anyways from the port, so MDE is not an issue. on a happy note, I am now saving 400 plus on a BC room and WDW food for 2 days. We might check out Volcano Bay. and stay at a budget place on I4.

I feel bad for also those that NEED a non park days... I know some that do Park, rest, Park, rest... that spread out also the validity time frame.

From my understanding the upprice for flexible doesnt cover extending validity to 14 ?
Pure speculation, but I’m guessing Disney will have some type of accommodation for Disney cruisers... only because it is in their best interest to do so... to maximize park time (and dollars spent in the parks). We’ll have to wait and see. Still many unknowns.

It's my understanding that the upcharge for flexible does just that -- extends the ticket to a 14-day use window regardless of how many park days are included. Without the upcharge for flexible, tickets have a use window of just 2-4 days longer than the ticket length. A 7-day ticket may have a use window of 10 days, by adding the "flexible" option that same 7-day ticket can be used within 14 days of first use instead of 10 days.

He actually has some good points. If lower hotel prices and discounts can’t spread out the crowds into September and away from Christmas, are lower tickets really going to do the trick?

Yep

Lower ticket prices don't change the weather. I pulled my kid of out school for 4 days to go Labor Day week. I got an insane resort discount and flights were CHEAP. We had a great trip, but we would rather not ever go in September again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter