• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can this be dynamic pricing if it's more like seasonal pricing? Really it should have certain days of the week and certain weeks of the month higher, and if any of your vacation falls into it you pay the higher price not the other way around. Also, heavy demand should prompt higher prices, that's the way dynamic pricing works.

I have tickets that I purchased using AirMiles that I was hoping to upgrade to park hoppers at the end off October...a bit worried about how this might affect us and how much closer our trip will be by the time this starts. I'll have to make a back up plan in case we can't upgrade without paying and arm and a leg.

How can this be dynamic pricing if it's more like seasonal pricing? Really it should have certain days of the week and certain weeks of the month higher, and if any of your vacation falls into it you pay the higher price not the other way around. Also, heavy demand should prompt higher prices, that's the way dynamic pricing works.
I haven’t seen ‘dynamic pricing’ posted on any official pages nor on blogs.

The emphasis is on ‘date-based pricing’ which is static according to their ticket calendar.

None of the Disney literature uses the term dynamic. They just say date based pricing. So busier days = higher prices, but as days start to fill the prices won’t dynamically change. They are preset.

So other than Disney creating a system that is likely to confuse most guests, especially planners ~ the oblivious who just show up won't notice anything, which will likely lead to long GR lines.

I might be missing some things but in trying to simplify, tell me if this is right ...
- Base tickets you must now select a start date with set price.
- You must use those tickets within 7 days of that start date. varies by ticket, this is for 4 day
- If you have to cancel your trip ... tickets are worthless unless ... told they convert to cash value?
- You pay upcharge so your ticket has no start date,
- lasts until end of 2019 and for 14 days from first use.
- Right now the website makes it appear to be $50 per ticket.
- That makes sense with how they add hopper etc.

SO Disney is now charging $50 for something that used to be free ........... like resort parking.

I see lots of Guest Relations CMs asking for transfers. Lots of folks are gonna hit that Mickey scanner and see blue!

EDITS based on further info

Last edited:
A few key things I've noted that are keeping my mind sane on this one...

1) the validation periods noted (i.e. 5 day validation period on a 3 day ticket) are for off site visitors. If you are staying on site and have booked a package that same 3 day ticket will be valid for the duration of your stay even if it is more than 5 days), i.e if you buy a ticket for start date Nov 1 and you have a 7 night stay, you can use that 3 day ticket from Nov 1 through Nov 8th. So the validation period really doesn't change for onsite, package purchasing guests.

2) The will be maintaining the current philosophy of decreasing cost per day as the number of days you purchase goes up. I fully expect an across the board increase, but you will still have a better value per day with a 10 day ticket than you will with a lesser day ticket.

3) If I book a package and need to change my arrival date, the ticket will move to that new arrival date but I will need to pay the difference if my start date changes to a higher category (ie. from value to regular season). I think the big losers on this point will be people who book a package but use an AP for their park entrance and save the package tickets for a future visit. I think that option will no longer work, based on the info released so far.

Ah, so #1 could potentially drive people back to being onsite?

I agree with #2.

With #3...you know have to decide whether the package is better or buying a la carte. Hmmm.

You must use those tickets within 7 days of that start date.
No; the length of ‘validity’ is based on the ticket length...can be up to 14 days to use a 10-day ticket.

I posted the info link in Post#2.

Still waiting for the ‘onsite’ tickets can be spread out over the ‘length of stay.’ TAs appear to have this info.

As long as the tickets you purchase now don’t expire prior to February, you’ll be fine.
@hiroMYhero where do I find the expiration date before purchasing. We (4adults) are going in early December 2019. If I plan to buy 4 8 day park Hopper tickets from UCT prior to 10/16/2018 will they be good the second week of 12/19? How can I be sure? TIA

- Base tickets you must now select a start date with set price.

Correct.

- You must use those tickets within 7 days of that start date.

No, within some time period that is 2-4 days longer than the ticket. For example, a 2-day ticket is valid for any 2 days out of a specific 4 consecutive day period you pick, while a 10-day ticket is good for any 10 days out of 14.

- If you have to cancel your trip ... tickets are worthless

No, according to the info they've sent to TA's, you'll be able to change the dates of tickets with no charge, except that if the new dates are more expensive you have to pay the difference (of course, you don't get a refund if you change to cheaper dates).

They haven't said whether expired unused tickets can still be traded toward new tickets, but they've always done that in the past; I don't know why they would change that policy. Worst case you change the dates to some point as far in the future as they'll let you, then change them again once you figure out your final dates.

@hiroMYhero where do I find the expiration date before purchasing. We (4adults) are going in early December 2019. If I plan to buy 4 8 day park Hopper tickets from UCT prior to 10/16/2018 will they be good the second week of 12/19? How can I be sure? TIA
The etickets which are purchased now expire December 31, 2019 so you’ll be safe with these.

*I checked with Kelsey via Chat at UCT and she confirmed the expiration date. :)

No; the length of ‘validity’ is based on the ticket length...can be up to 14 days to use a 10-day ticket.

I posted the info link in Post#2.

Still waiting for the ‘onsite’ tickets can be spread out over the ‘length of stay.’ TAs appear to have this info.

I watched their video ...
So if I have a four day, which I imagine is very common, it showed I only had 7 days from first use. The only way I could use it longer, would be pay $50 or buy a big ticket I might not need. Even a 5 day ticket wouldn't give me much play.

I know some that stay at Disney hotels but go to Disney a few days, then Universal or the other attractions, then finish back at Disney parks. If they can't do that, why wouldn't they just do Disney for four days then completely go off site and move over to Universal ... nice deluxes, many newer and better priced hotels?

Disney is only doing this for increase in revenue, so guests are going to pay more in the end if they choose to make Disney homebase. No better time to begin those split stays.

I'm not seeing too much of a difference really. I guess since I always buy packages for our trips, my dates would never change and we buy the insurance anyway. Disney gets more expensive every year and thousands of people say they will never go again but then twice that go for the first time and other still go. While the parks still feel like peak season, even during the supposed slow season. As long as the parks and resorts are full, they will keep charging more.

We have 3 trips booked with packages at various deluxe resorts and 2 cruises booked as well as booking 30 days at the Fort as soon as our 499 day window opens. These are all things I swore I would never do, but each year we do it again, because we consistently get service we have not gotten at other places, no matter what amount we spend. Then again I am someone that was married at Disney and had her VR there...so my loyalty runs deep Lol

The etickets which are purchased now expire December 31, 2019 so you’ll be safe with these.

*I checked with Kelsey via Chat at UCT and she confirmed the expiration date. :)
You’re the BEST!
DH has another question I haven’t seen an answer for. If we bought AP’s planning to activate them in early 2019’ is it possible/ likely restrictions can be placed on them in the future? I think the answer is yes.

The pricing based on dates makes business sense. Be curious to see what that pricing is as compared to current flat rates.

It will be higher Just assume Disney is asking for more money

It will be "interesting" to see how they handle tickets that are purchased for one visit but used on a different visit. Can you imagine all the fun of figuring out how to bridge the pricing? Arghhh. Do they not realize a lot of people (like me) will purchase a package (free dining) and not use the tickets for that visit(AP holder). Sheesh.

I expect the gig may be up. It could be very easy to say those tickets can be used for that visit and that visit only. Or of course you can then pay the extra fee to make them more flexible to use before they expire in six months. Either way I have a feeling this may be the end of stock piling tickets from free dining to use on a future visit

I have an itch that this won't shift crowds around like they hope to. Most people are still locked in to certain periods due to school, work, etc. I think the bigger concern is that this system could very well support park block outs. Up charges for specifically visiting DHS on a weekend after Star Wars opens comes to mind.

This really has nothing to do with shifting crowds around. This has to do with “these people can only come at a certain time of year so let’s get more money out of them”

I wasn’t on the DIS for what, a day and the
Whole Tix system changed, lol. I’m about to read thru the whole thread.. and hope that resident rates are somehow explained

My Disney Q is ...Why oh Why Can’t Guests Book multiple rooms online, at one time. It’s archaic! Such a simple request, Disney :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter