NEW-STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST-Questions/Answers

I recently received my platinum spg card and just looked through all the brochures that came with my card and can find nothing about referrals. Would be happy to refer someone if you tell me how!

Carol

We returned from our Disney vacation the middle of last week and it was terrific! Weather was hot - but it has been just as hot, if not hotter, here in NJ, so we felt we picked a good time to visit Florida this year.

Thanks to all of your help, we stayed on Swan Club Level using points. It was a wonderful experience. We arrived at the Swan on a Sunday, at 1:30. Check-in was easy - they had all the info correct. Our room wasn't ready. When the CM saw I was a little disappointed by this info, she immediately checked to see if there was a room we could get in right away. All she had on club level was a non-smoking King bed room, so we decided to wait for our room with two queen beds.

We were told the room would be ready between 3-5 PM - but most likely sooner. We strolled down to the ESPN club on the Boardwalk to have lunch and enjoy the Yankee game. It began pouring while we were eating, so we took our time, at our server's suggestion. Consequently we didn't return to the Swan until after 4 PM - our room was ready. In fact, there was a voice mail message waiting for us - left at 2:30 PM from my brother (who was also visiting the Orlando area) so I guess that means the room would have been available at 2:30.

At check-in we received a letter telling us about the club level hours. Breakfast from 7-10 AM ( 10:30 on Sunday); evening snacks from 5-7 PM and drinks from 7-9 PM.

We were on the 11th floor - in a very nice, quiet room at the end of the hall. It was close to the elevator and ice machine, and since there wasn't a room on one side of us and the rooms across the hall were for Cast Member storage, it was very quiet. I think we liked that part best <G>. We had a standard view and faced the "parking lot" at the front of the Swan, but could clearly see the Tower of Terror, large sections of the Boardwalk hotel, the fountain and flowers at the front of the Swan. We could also see the fireworks for Fantasmic and Epcot Illuminations.

The stairs to walk up to the 12th floor lounge were at the opposite end of the hall, but it was an easy and pleasant walk (though our two teenage sons often took the elevator). Overall we felt the hotel was NOT nearly as crowded as it had been on our trip in August 2001. We had breakfast at the lounge each morning. Because of our touring schedule we went at different times each day.

Often there was only 1 or 2 other families in the lounge in the morning. Mama T., was probably the nicest, most friendly CM we have ever met in our 16 years of Disney trips. She was always smiling, happy and eager to please.

Offerings in the morning included: 2 large trays with baked goods - several types of muffins and pastries. Each tray held a different selection, which we didn't realize until much later in the trip! There was also a very large basket filled with bagels, sliced white bread and English muffins (plain and raisin). There were toasters if you wanted your selection toasted - also butter, cream cheese and several types of jelly/jam.

Another large basket held boxes of cereal - usually Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, Fruit Loops. Right next to that was a large silver bucket, filled with ice and cartons of milk - regular, 2%, skim or chocolate. There were always several containers of each type. We always found exactly what we needed, but if we didn't I am positive Mama T would bring out what you wanted with a smile.

Right near the cereal was a basket of bananas - and next to that was a large tray of sliced fruit. Watermelon, cantalope, honey dew - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries. It was great - looked beautiful and tasted even better.

A very nice coffee bar was set up in another area - which included the flavorings to "jazz" things up. We tried several different flavors throughout the week and really enjoyed them. The other drinks offered each morning were orange and apple juice.

Our boys never wanted to stay in the lounge in the morning, so we would come in, fill up our plates (always china) and take our stuff back to the room. Some mornings there were bottles of water out near the coffee (these were always warm). We really liked having the chilled water bottles, so we would ask Mama T and she would happily get them from the fridge - often asking if I wanted more than 2 or 3.

As I mentioned before, we usually were very surprised at how empty the lounge was at this time. It was only on our final morning, when we arrived at 9:30 that it seemed more crowded. But to be honest, I think that was more due to the fact that two large groups had arrived and they were letting all their younger children (5-10 yrs olds) run around the food on their own. It made for a hectic morning.

I have to say, that even at that later hour there was a lot of terrific food to choose from and it all looked fresh and inviting.

We got to the lounge a few times in the evening during the trip. It was even LESS of a crowd than the mornings. No Mama T - generally one or two older gentlemen who never said much of anything. In the evening there was another great tray filled with sliced fruit, sliced cheese (5 or 6 kinds, plus a "spread") a basket of assorted crackers & small rolls, veg & dips, plus one hot item. Those changed nightly and all were very tasty - mini kisch, spinach turnover; pizza "bites"; artichokes stuffed with cheese. The hot food was in a large covered dish that always seemed to be full. Some days there was also a large tray filled with several types of cookies - that were very good.

At that time of day there were cans of soda put out on the "bar" - coke, sprite, diet coke. There were also lots and lots of water bottles - usually warm, but one night there were all chilled.

Again, my boys didn't like to sit in the lounge, so they would get a few snacks, a few sodas and go back to the room. My wife and I liked sitting at a window table, eating, relaxing and enjoying the view.

We only went up to the lounge later in the evening on two occassions. At this time they had the "honor" bar and also cans of soda and bottled water. We said hello, grabbed a few waters and sodas and left. Another night my wife went up and she said there was a large tray of the big cookies, the bucket of ice filled with cartons of milk, soda and bottles of water. She brought back a few cookies and some milk for all of us to share, which was a nice surprise.

We now feel completely spoiled by this club experience. It was so convenient to get our breakfast each morning and saved so much time. The evening offerings were the perfect little snack to tied us over until dinner and all those cans of soda and bottles of water saved us from taking a trip to Publix or Goodings.

I would highly recommend club level - with points - to anyone. If you have specific questions, please ask.

Dead End Kid

DeadEndKid,
Thanks so much for your post. This will be my first time at the Swan Club Level and your post was so informative and detailed. It is always nice to get a 'boost' about where you are staying, adds to the anticipation.
Glad you had a great time. We also like a quieter area of a hotel, which is why I chose the smaller Swan over the larger Dolphin(due to these posts). I am thoroughly hoping I will want to go back to Swan CL again!
By the way, Mama T has been posting on this board. Read back and see if you can find them(2).(I think it is in the DF ques./answer thread)

Carol

So Dead end kid I can't remember if you got the CL with points when you checked in or in advance? Also does anyone know if you can do this along with using the cash and points deal, or even some days free with points?

Thanks for the club level details Dead End Kid! I should have enough points to upgrade to club at the Dolphin this Oct and it sounds like it will definitely be worth it for us. I am still patiently waiting for my AMEX bonus points to post on my SPG account and those will put me well over what I'll need to upgrade for our entire stay.

Shelly,

Since we really wanted the club level, we decided to arrange for it ahead of time. You may have read some of my other posts, where I tried (unsuccessfully) to get that upgrade directly from the hotel. In the end we had to follow the Starwood rules - call 5 days before your arrival and make the change. They did send me an email confirmation of the upgrade, which I didn't need, but certainly felt better having along with me.

WiscMomof2,

I think you will enjoy Dolphin club level. I had heard a lot of conflicting reports from people on the boards, but in our case it was exactly what we needed. After 5 days at the Swan we switched to the Poly for the last 5 nights of our stay. It was a great resort (we hadn't stayed there for over 10 years) and we liked the room size (much larger than the Swan).

But the beds at the Swan were the BEST - I think they were the "heavenly" beds - I have never slept so well on vacation. The room we had looked very new and fresh - I think it had recently been redone.

Once at the Poly we now had our breakfast at Captain Cook's. We usually had donuts, cereal, juice, chocolate milk and ocassionally a hot egg sandwich (same food we got for "free" at the Swan Club Level - except for the eggs). On average I spent $15 each morning for the 4 of us (and my wife eats very little breakfast). Plus we didn't have any fresh fruit.

At the Poly we were in the Tahati Longhouse - which is the farthest away from the Grand Ceremonial House (and Captain's Cooks). While it was a pleasant walk each morning, it took much longer to get breakfast than at the Swan. Due to crowds and heat we discovered it was necessary to be out of our room no later than 8:40 and heading towards a park. So while at the Poly we had to get up earlier and allow more time for breakfast. A difficult feat with two teenage sons who love Disney, but would rather sleep late!

Dead End Kid

Thanks Dead End Kid for your great report of Swan Club level! Glad your trip went so well.

ZuZugal, Ozziewags, Deb, and you other wonderful helpful people,

After my 2nd call to Starwood - Success on signing up DH for SPG and because of the referral - getting in at the Gold level. I'm the person from Iowa who was complaining that AMEX wouldn't issue their Starwood card to people with Iowa addresses. Also Starwood wouldn't match my mid-level Marriott status, but thanks to YOU we are in at Gold.
The person on the phone from Starwood didn't seem to know many details... I thought I had read (but can't find the old post) that we have to stay a certain number of stays by, was it Oct. of this year??? Do we receive an info packet (and i.d. card) in the mail? I'm having a garage sale (I swear the last one EVER) the next few days to earn extra $$$ for WDW in Dec. Wish me luck!!
You fellow "disnuts" are the best!
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :teeth:

Hi guys,
Thanks to all of you who have been helping me along the way. Now that I have my spg card, am wanting to apply for the starwood amx also. I have inquired about the 4000 bonus points but to no avail. I have read about the points quite a bit in this thread. Seems to have originally come to some of you by email from spg. They did send me an email thanking me for joining but no promo on the starwood amx.
Anyone have any advice? One of the previous posts said they activated their amx card at the end of july and automatically got the bonus points. Looks like they are on vacation now though so can't get an immediate answer on that one.
Any thoughts from all of the spg veterans out there?

Hello everyone - regarding the promotion that a lot of SPG members have recieved. It has been determined that we cannot allow this board to be used to exchange these cards.

There is real benefit received by the SPG member who sponsors a new member and these boards are not intended for that purpose.

Any additional posts regarding these cards will not be allowed.

We cannot allow one person to offer these - we would then have to allow the 100's of spg members who have these cards to offer them.

That would result in bedlam and leave no room on the boards for REAL questions about ALL Disney Resorts.

This is a board policy decision and is not open to discussion on the boards. If you have a problem/question/comment about this please feel free to address it to any webmaster via e-mail.

My 4,000 points showed up in my SPG account today.:) They must be doing this on there own because I only sent one email to SPG awhile back and the response I received was to contact AmEx.

Less then a week to our first trip to the Dolphin:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by ZuZugal
Now that I have my spg card, am wanting to apply for the starwood amx also. I have inquired about the 4000 bonus points but to no avail. I have read about the points quite a bit in this thread. Anyone have any advice? Any thoughts from all of the spg veterans out there?

http://spg.0mm.com/sta163019

After SEVERAL phone calls and e-mails to BOTH Amex and Starwood I STILL haven't received my 4,000 bonus points yet. I received the e-mail back in April and am still waiting. This is so frustrating and time consuming. Today after speaking to both Amex and Starwood again today they said that they should be posted in about 5 business days. We'll see what happens!

YEAHH!! I just checked my account and my 4,000 bonus points were finally there!! Persistence pays off!:Pinkbounc

Greetings everyone,
I just got an email from Starwood announcing the "deal of the week" -1000 bonus points for booking online vs. the usual 500.
Here is the details....
Reservations must be booked at SPG.com, Starwood.com, Westin.com, Sheraton.com, FourPoints.com, LuxuryCollection.com, or Whotels.com beginning at 3:00 PM (ET) on August 13, 2002 and ending at 11:59 PM (ET) on August 25, 2002. Offer is valid for paid stays that are completed by September 30, 2002.

Hope it helps someone
Maureen

After only using it a few times we have already recieved 3000+ points to our account! I really hope that in a few months we are able to get some free nights if we get enough points!

My sister who is a shop-a-holic (but has 3 jobs so she deserves it) got her own card and merged it with ours, so whenever she spends, we make a lot of POINTS, LOL!

Mike

Just wanted everyone to know that I just used a free Friday to stay at the Westin on the Magnificant Mile in Chicago. A cab driver mentioned you had to have alot of money to stay there. I told him nope, you could stay for free!!!!

The heavenly beds were, well, heavenly!!!!

Just saving my points for another adventure like the Swan/Dolphin

We used a free friday for sheraton in boston at the prudential center. The hotel has just had a 110 million $ renovations and it is spectacular. Check-in was a breeze, arrived at 10:30 am and the room was all set. They have reserved starwoods rooms with little gold plates on the door. Anyways we were on the 27th floor in a corner room. The views were incredible in both directions. too bad the red sox were on the west coast or we could have seen the game from our room. Our only expense was 33 dollars for valet parking for overnight.

We used our free friday for Milwaukee Wisconsin Sheratin north(boorkfield) I have family there. They came and swam when we checked in. Two pools one out one in, sauna, hottub, game room. Very nice room. FREE FREE FREE. Loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter