NEW-STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST-Questions/Answers

I've tried to read all of these posts, but I must admit I'm getting a bit bleary eyed, so I probably missed the answers to my questions. Hopefully, a knowledgable and "sweet" soul will take pity on me and try to answer my questions...

I have an SPG card (the regular one) with 2,068 points (certainly not very many) from 2 different stays in 2000 & 2001. I already have a regular American Express card. Most likely, I will not be taking any vacations (atleast not at any Starwood properties) between now and our next Disney trek in March 2003.

1. That being said, would it be worthwhile for me to apply for the Amex/Starwood Card? The only charges on this card that count towards the Swan/Dolphin are those from a Starwood stay, correct? Just regular charges don't count for that, do they?

2. Would it be worth applying for the Starwood Gold alone? Don't I already get a complimentary upgrade???

3. If I book my March 2003 stay of 8 nights using this AMEX card, are those points immediately available to use towards that particular stay? Like, for example, if I could use the cash + points option for one night?

Also, I will qualify for the government employee discount rate, which already gets me a great discount.

Gosh, I apologize for rambling...Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

No, all charges on the am ex card count for points, only you get more points per dollar on starwood stays.

and no you couldn't use points from a current stay immediately, points are credited after check out.

Thanks Tiffany that helps a lot.....I emailed SPG yesterday. I don't recall seeing that email from Starwood so I hope it applies to all new card holders and wasn't just a promotion sent to selected people. I just got my first bill last week. One thing I noticed that was nice is that my points posted to my SPG account right away, actually a few days before I got my bill in the mail. :cool:

Well I emailed starwood and they said the points have to come from AMEX and I have to call them.

Originally posted by WiscMomof2
Thanks Tiffany that helps a lot.....I emailed SPG yesterday. I don't recall seeing that email from Starwood so I hope it applies to all new card holders and wasn't just a promotion sent to selected people. I just got my first bill last week. One thing I noticed that was nice is that my points posted to my SPG account right away, actually a few days before I got my bill in the mail. :cool:

I just received an email back from SPG indicating that I will need to contact AmEx about the points. I will be sending AmEx an email today. I will let you know what happens.

Originally posted by Shelly
Well I emailed starwood and they said the points have to come from AMEX and I have to call them.

Hi Shelly,

I also received an email reply from SPG today indicating that I would need to contact AmEx. Looks like I will be sending an email to AmEx today. I will let you know when I hear something back.

I got the same email (I've been reading this with much interest!) from Starwood, and called American Exp. They told me that I didn't apply under that 4000 point email promo, so I was out of luck. I've had my card since March (apparently before the promotion began).

I did get the 1000 points on the first Starwood stay, and the 500 points on the next ten stays (I stay at Starwood a lot, so I've already used that), but not 4000 points on the first purchase. And she said there is no way for me to get it (cancelling my card and reapplying would not work).

Originally posted by shinyhappy
I got the same email (I've been reading this with much interest!) from Starwood, and called American Exp. They told me that I didn't apply under that 4000 point email promo, so I was out of luck. I've had my card since March (apparently before the promotion began).

I did get the 1000 points on the first Starwood stay, and the 500 points on the next ten stays (I stay at Starwood a lot, so I've already used that), but not 4000 points on the first purchase. And she said there is no way for me to get it (cancelling my card and reapplying would not work).

Hi shinyhappy,

The email I received was dated 04/29/2002.

Hi Tiffany, I guess I just applied for the credit card too soon! I applied for my Starwood Am Exp card before they sent the promo email that you got.

I emailed Starwood Friday inquiring about the 4000 pts., and they sent me the "get in touch with Am Exp" email today. So, I called Am Exp, and they told me that I am not entitled to the 4000 points! Oh well!

Good work all of you who got it!

I find it interesting that Starwood sent the email and then tell us to contact Amex. I forwarded my email to Starwood with a note, but haven't heard fromt them yet. Mine was also dated 4-29. Think I may do the same with Amex. Hmmm.

Carol

I never had to contact American Express for the 4,000 points to be added. I sent the email and then I followed up with a call to Starwood. I was told by Starwood that the request had been made already from my email. He said it would take a week before the points would show up, but they actually showed up the following day. So I would try calling Starwood... Good Luck!

Never got the 4000 point offer myself, being a new member and all. My enrollment is the simple 1000 + 500 promotion. That sure would have been nice. Did they have conditions, such as "must be a purchase over $100.00"? If not, they may have discontinued it due to abuse. (ie. a purchase of $2.37) Here's a possibility, AMEX can be very accomodating if approached properly. Try asking them if you can get the 4000 point promo if you make a very decent purchase. (ie. We were thinking of using our Amex/Star card to purchase a TV and were wondering if we might get the 4000.......) Never know till you try.
Might I get a copy of the email to try as well?
Troyfus

I sent the e-mail to the 3 of you.... Good Luck! :D It is dated for April 29th.

Greetings from AR,
How long does it take for SPG hotel stays to show in your account?
My DH just returned yesterday from a week long stay in Toronto and I am wanting to use the points he earned for an upgrade. We are heading to the W in NYC and are just about 5 days out....
Another ???
Has anyone called and requested to upgrade to a higher level when they are close...... we are only 5 nights from Platinum (after stay above). During this month on a visit to the NE we will be staying 10 nights in Starwood properties.
I sure would love:D to have the privledges of platinum for the whole trip.
Maureen

Originally posted by cathyz
I've tried to read all of these posts, but I must admit I'm getting a bit bleary eyed, so I probably missed the answers to my questions. Hopefully, a knowledgable and "sweet" soul will take pity on me and try to answer my questions...

I have an SPG card (the regular one) with 2,068 points (certainly not very many) from 2 different stays in 2000 & 2001. I already have a regular American Express card. Most likely, I will not be taking any vacations (atleast not at any Starwood properties) between now and our next Disney trek in March 2003.

1. That being said, would it be worthwhile for me to apply for the Amex/Starwood Card? The only charges on this card that count towards the Swan/Dolphin are those from a Starwood stay, correct? Just regular charges don't count for that, do they?

2. Would it be worth applying for the Starwood Gold alone? Don't I already get a complimentary upgrade???

3. If I book my March 2003 stay of 8 nights using this AMEX card, are those points immediately available to use towards that particular stay? Like, for example, if I could use the cash + points option for one night?

Also, I will qualify for the government employee discount rate, which already gets me a great discount.

Gosh, I apologize for rambling...Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

Hi, Cathy!

1. You get 1 Starwood point per dollar charged to your Starwood AMEX card, and I HIGHLY recommend getting it. We now use that credit card whenever possible - and the points add up quickly. We will stay at a Starwood hotel in Paris for 5 nights ...FREE- thanks to Starwood points! :D More than half of the points were earned with charges to the Starwood AMEX.

The extra points Shelly mentioned are not related to the credit card at all. All Starwood members get 2 points per dollar for "eligible" room and food charges when staying at a Starwood hotel. If you are a gold or platinum member, you get 3 points per dollar.

2. You can ask for a complimentary upgrade to Starwood gold status. It helps if you have elite status in another hotel chains' frequent-stay program, or if you already have the Starwood AMEX card.

3. You won't get the points for your March 2003 stay until after the stay is completed. Here's more info about the cash and points promotion: http://www.starwood.com/preferredguest/starpoints/cash_points_landing.html As you can see, it is for stays through the end of 2002, so won't apply to your March 2003 stay.

Maureen - the points from your husband's recent stay should post within a few days of check-out. Have a great time in New York!

I called Amex, they said No. She could not pull up the 4000 point promo. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I will look at the bright side: I never HAD the 4000 points, so I never LOST them. Instead: I have a card that will earn me points, whereas before I met you good people, I had none. So I win!!! :D

I never called American Express, I talked to only Starwood: through e-mail and calling the 1-800 number. The phone was the quickest way and when they were ready to request the adjustment on my account they noticed their had already been a request by email. I would call Starwood! Good Luck!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter