NEW-STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST-Questions/Answers

You Easterner's have me lost...Stop & Shop....Shop Rite? Are these Grocers? I shop @ Albertson's, and they take AMEX! (They better!). I know I'm addicted to POINTS, as I almost get a euphoric feeling after SPENDING a considerable sum. It's better than oysters...chocolate....lol

Nancy...hope you had a GREAT time on your little sojourn. I leave in a week for NY, and will also stop @ the Falls for a ride on the old Maid of the Mist. I enjoy the shops and the "cleanliness" of Canada. I also love the Western area of NY, the fingerlakes, etc. Pure Iroquois territory. Hope you enjoyed Boston, and rode a Swan in the park! (Points...points!)

Happy Monday all...(feels like a Friday to me). ;)

Hi All,

After reading all the different posts about upgrading to gold status with the AMX card, I figured I would call the customer service number at Starwood and see what happens. I certainly wasn't going to give anyone a hard time, nor insist that I was entitled - I just thought it might be worth a try.

I received my Starwood AMX card today in the mail - a few days earlier than they said. After activating the card, I called the Starwood Customer Service number.

I spoke with a very nice young woman. I told her I had recently received a platinum AMX card and I thought I could upgrade my preferred Starwood status to gold. I did not mention it was a Starwood AMX (nor did she ask).

She asked for my Starwood number, the name on the card and my security ID password (my mother's maiden name).

After a few seconds she told me I had been upgraded! No other additional info was asked for, and she also told me I should get a gold card and membership info in the next 4 weeks.

So thanks again to all the great info from everyone on this board. The extra points will be welcome when we stay at the Swan this July.

Dead End Kid

Now you are coming to my "neck of the woods"! I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY! And now I live a stone's throw away from the natural beauty. Isn't that Maid of the Mist great? And I love them handing out those wet raincoats to try to keep you dry!;) ;)

I am back from my 5 days in Las Vegas staying at Caesar's Palace on SPG points. We had a great time. Loved the shows, the shopping, the restaurants, and the weather! The room was nice, but I didn't like that the jacuzzi tub did not work. I called twice to have it fixed, but although they tried, it would not work. There was also a little too much mold in the grout in the shower. I liked the vanity in the bathroom and having separate doors to the toilet and the shower and a separate bathtub. It was a nice size room for the two of us. I was in the older tower. My sister's room in a newer tower was phenomenal! Larger and newer! But she paid cash.

I also liked the ease of the airport check-in facility. I checked in while my daughter picked up the luggage. How convenient! We arrived at Caesar's and went right up to our room. Very nice.

Enjoy your time here in Western New York. Our weather has not been great. I will put in an order for lovely weather when you are visiting!:D

Hi All,

Jen80370 - I used my AmEx Starwood at Stop'n Shop for the first time tonight. I just love building points.:D :D

Dreamflight99 - Yes, Stop'n Shop is a supermarket here on the East Coast.

DeadEndKid - There is a difference between a regular AmEx Platinum and the AmEx Starwood Platinum, but hey enjoy your Gold status. Don't ask don't tell right :D :D :D :D

Well, you sure have that one right, Tiffany! After reading all the different posts about this upgrade, I did realize that the Starwood AMX probably shouldn't get me that gold status. Which was why I had decided before I even dialed the number that I wasn't going to insist. And I wasn't going to mention it was a Starwood AMX card. If the Customer Rep asked me, I was going to answer her truthfully and say it was. But she never asked (and as you said, I never told :-).

Guess sometimes we just lucky!

Dead End Kid

Congrats, Dead End Kid. Bravo!

Great news about S&S accepting Amex now! There's a Super S&S two miles from the house. Now, if we can just get BJ's & Sams to follow the fold!

Dead End Kid...great job! Enjoy the perks!

Tiffany...great attitude! Good for you!

HappyTrails...that's why I go to Costco!

DF99, have a great trip!

It's getting close now! I bought my postcard stamps yesterday! eeeeek!

So thanks to all of you that helped be get over my guilt. I sent an email to Starwood Customer Service the other day. See text of email below.

"Hi, I recently received my American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Card and a friend of mine told me that having this card could get my Starwood status upgraded to "Gold". Is this correct? Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appricated."

Well, today I recieved a reply. Guess who got Gold Status
:D :D :D

I do not feel gulity because I asked without being pushy and gave then all of the facts and they choose to upgrade me to Gold Status. Thanks again to all for giving me courage to ask. Could not make a phone call but you have got to love email.

E-mail is a wonderful invention, isn't it? I did the same thing.

Now I'm really getting obsessed. It isn't bad enough that DH hates to fly so much for travel, but when leaves us his itinerary and I see no Starwood resorts, I cannot believe it! What's up with that? Isn't there one in every city? Have a nice day, everyone.
------------
Joanne

Tiffany,

I am SOOOOO proud of you! Excellent job! Wait until you reap the rewards...you seized life by the horns and took it for a ride! Awesome!

Joanne,

I agree, there should be tons of Starwoods everywhere! It would certainly make things easier around here...

Guess what folks? I leave in two weeks and two days! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hey all-

Got my Starwoods Guest Card and my American Express card about 6 months ago. I called Starwoods this week and asked what I needed to do to be upgraded to gold. The customer service rep asked if I had a code. I told her no. She said that was ok and upgraded me to gold right then and there!!! How cool!!! However, none of my American Express points have transfered over...Starwoods told me they wouldn't transfer over until I made a transaction at a Starwoods location. Is that correct???

Also, is there a list that states what you get for your points? I'm really interested in what I get at Swan/Dolphin since that's why I got the cards in the first place. My wife is a teacher so we already get a discount rate on the hotel (AWSOME!!!). What else can I use the points for?

Thanks in advance,

Dub :wave:

I, too, have the Starwood American Express Card. How do I get upgraded to
"gold" status and what will that do for me?

I'm sure this has been covered a million times before, but I've been busy at work and haven't had much time to read the boards.

Thanks!

I, too, have the Starwood American Express Card. How do I get upgraded to
"gold" status and what will that do for me?

I'm sure this has been covered a million times before, but I've been busy at work and haven't had much time to read the boards.

Thanks!

Fargoman...if you check out Starwood's site...you get more points for each stay with gold, and a somewhat better chance of upgrades. Every little bit helps!

We loved the Sheraton Fallsview at Niagara Falls, Ontario, but skipped the Boston segment - as my DH and kids were tired of long car rides, and the weather forecast was more of the same...WET! :( Our room in Niagara Falls had an awesome view of Horseshoe Falls, and we were on the club floor with HOT evening hors d'oeuvres and a lovely continental breakfast. I'm not sure if ours was a Heavenly Bed - but it was definitely a pillow top with a down comforter. We felt very pampered. :) It was too overcast to see much except the mist - so we didn't do the Maid of the Mist.

Since our hotel in Boston would've used one of my Free Fridays - I need to think of some place to go so I can use it before August 31st!

With 6 kids it has taken me all day to read all these starwood posts but I finally finished. Thanks to all of you I was able to upgrade to gold status and have begun to charge everything I can to that good old Amex starwood card to get those points. Since my husband is a police officer, we will be staying at the Dolphin this Dec. for 2 nights(gov. rate) but would love to get upgraded to club level to save some $$ on food. We will need 2 rooms and with 3 teens they eat like horses. By the way I called Starwood and they told me I would need 1250 pts per room per night to get club level if I already have a standard room booked. Is this accurate because I thought it was 750? Thank you again for all of your help. Just by posting you have answered alot of my questions and have given me some great ideas.:) :) :)

Originally posted by happytrails2u
...and best of all, you did it your way! CONGRATULATIONS!

Have a great trip happytrails2u. I see you only have 15hrs until your trip. You are packed by now aren't you;)

I just read Disneywith6kids post about the Club Level upgrade. I too have a standard room booked at the Swan this July (gov rate also, my wife is a librarian and thus a town employee).

We thought it was 750 points per night to get the Club Level upgrade. Does anyone know the correct answer? Though I suspect if Starwood told you 1250 that is how many is needed.

And yet I thought you needed 1250 points per night to upgrade to a better view?

Anyone have any specific, recent experience with this exact upgrade - standard room to club level with Starwood points???

Thanks!

Dead End Kid

I don't have any experience, but I called Starwood and asked and the person I talked to said it was 750. I hope it is not 1250 because I also need two rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter