• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New soon-to-be DVC owners, woo-hoo! A few questions

sgrap

DIS Veteran
Thanks to the advice and info I found on this board, dh and I made an offer on GCV resale on Sunday, had it accepted on Sunday, and it was send for ROFR yesterday (Monday!). We really wanted our home resort to be GCV, so were thrilled to find a resale on The Timeshare Store. We are hoping it continues to move quickly. Any guesses as to how long it will take from this point? I was looking at the timeline thread and looks like it around 2+ months?

This is our first venture into GCV, so we have a lot to learn from this point! Is there any chance of getting something at GCV for mid-November by the time we can book?

How far out does Aulani book up?

We have points to use for this year, and more coming 12/1, so we are excited to start booking some trips as soon as we can.

Thanks to the advice and info I found on this board, dh and I made an offer on GCV resale on Sunday, had it accepted on Sunday, and it was send for ROFR yesterday (Monday!). We really wanted our home resort to be GCV, so were thrilled to find a resale on The Timeshare Store. We are hoping it continues to move quickly. Any guesses as to how long it will take from this point? I was looking at the timeline thread and looks like it around 2+ months?

This is our first venture into GCV, so we have a lot to learn from this point! Is there any chance of getting something at GCV for mid-November by the time we can book?

How far out does Aulani book up?

We have points to use for this year, and more coming 12/1, so we are excited to start booking some trips as soon as we can.

Currently it seems that it can take between 60 and 90 days to be completely done.

I would think that a Nov reservation will be difficult. You can bank your points and take your time to learn the system.

Bill

It will probably be three month down the road before you can book. That would be 6 months from November. I would expect Veterans Day weekend and Thanksgiving week to be hard to get. And it would depend on the school holidays for California, if children have more time off, the more days that will be booked. I expect the weekdays at VGC to be more readily available than the weekends in November. I know you would have a better chance if it was before the 7 month mark, using your VGC home resort advantage.

We own at Aulani, so I am more familiar with it. It also books up when there is a vacation period for Hawaii schools. The Aulani owners usually book the standard views so very little of those dates are available at the 7 month mark. The standard grand villas are practically impossible to book for non owners as there are only two of them. June is really the hardest month to book at Aulani at the 7 month mark. It is very popular since school is out for most U.S. schools and the point cost per night is lower. Everyone wants to book those cheaper nights.

Good luck on your resale purchase! We're currently in the process as well!

Hello Sgrap,
I’m a prospective new DVC owner too. Here is my current timeline with my VGC purchase on re-sale:
7Nov2014 – Offer made and accepted
25Nov – Passed ROFR (DVC was really trying to clear out the ROFR queue!!):thumbsup2
10Jan – Estoppel documents received by Escrow Agent
16Jan – Closing documents received from Escrow Agent
19Jan – Signed docs and Payment sent back to Escrow Agent
4Feb- Today (nothing back from Escrow Agent on Title transfer and no response from the agency to v-mail messages) – 90 days and counting:sad2:

My family also wanted to use points for our next visit to DLR in July (for the DLR 60th Anniv) but I had read that the timing of points on a newly acquired contract (given the expected processing time) would put our vacation in jeopardy. So, we rented DVC points for a 2-br at the VGC for the week of July 17 (at 11 months out) and I had the seller bank the 2014 points on the purchased contract to avoid losing them. I hope to have a membership number by the end of this month at the 15 week mark.
Not pretty and if I had not already booked our rooms, I would be freaking out now as I have been told there is nothing available at the VGC for the weeks around July 17th.:scared1:

Here is my current timeline with my VGC purchase on re-sale:
25Nov – Passed ROFR (DVC was really trying to clear out the ROFR queue!!):thumbsup2
4Feb- Today (nothing back from Escrow Agent on Title transfer and no response from the agency to v-mail messages) – 90 days and counting:sad2:
90 days - crikey. We're at 72 and I thought that was bad! We were only two weeks for ROFR which got our hopes up for a quick completion. But then it was four weeks until we received the closing documents, which we returned immediately. And a further four weeks on we are still waiting to close. At least we don't need the points until next year :)

90 days - crikey. We're at 72 and I thought that was bad! We were only two weeks for ROFR which got our hopes up for a quick completion. But then it was four weeks until we received the closing documents, which we returned immediately. And a further four weeks on we are still waiting to close. At least we don't need the points until next year :)

We made an offer on Monday 2/2/15. Offer was accepted and we signed and returned the contracts yesterday. Our agent told us to expect 90 days since it is very busy right now. He processed 40 contracts alone on Monday!

Timeshare Store. So far they have been great and very speedy about turning paperwork around.

Hello Sgrap,
I’m a prospective new DVC owner too. Here is my current timeline with my VGC purchase on re-sale:

My family also wanted to use points for our next visit to DLR in July (for the DLR 60th Anniv) but I had read that the timing of points on a newly acquired contract (given the expected processing time) would put our vacation in jeopardy. So, we rented DVC points for a 2-br at the VGC for the week of July 17 (at 11 months out) and I had the seller bank the 2014 points on the purchased contract to avoid losing them. I hope to have a membership number by the end of this month at the 15 week mark.
Not pretty and if I had not already booked our rooms, I would be freaking out now as I have been told there is nothing available at the VGC for the weeks around July 17th.:scared1:
Thank you! Hope yours closes quickly! Since we are just starting the wait, I'm trying not to get too anxious. ;-)

Hello Sgrap,

BTW, who did you use to rent your points?

BTW, who did you use to rent your points?

I rented from an owner directly. Got the link from the DISboard. Made the reservation on the first day of the 11-month window.

Phew, that must be a relief!

Well....sort of....still don't have a membership number to do anything with yet. Fortunately, I won't need the points until our next trip in 2016.
Things moved pretty quick up to the Estopple and dealing with the escrow agency in CA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter