New solo traveler seeks advice

Tara8595

DIS Veteran
So... I am a Disney fanatic, but often-times, I have trouble finding someone to go with me. I have some friends and family who I have traveled with, but it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get folks to go to Disney World. I get it. Not everyone wants to drop $600 for 4 days with someone, without their families. My son is already Disney-ed out at the tender age of 7 1/2. Admittedly... he's been well.... a lot... for a kid his age who doesn't live in FL. But I digress.

I'm contemplating a solo trip, but I'm worried it will just be depressing. Will I feel free and enjoy Disney magic without having to worry about entertaining someone and showing them the 'Disney ropes'? Or will I just be sad and feel alone while I watch other travelers enjoying quality time with their friends or families?

I wish we had a "Travel Buddies" board on The Dis to find like-minded folks who might be willing to risk a trip with a stranger... like eHarmonyDis - to match up people who could be compatible travelers.

My profile would read like this: I am a 46 yo DM who likes to travel more often than my family. I like to do all 4 parks, arrive early and stay late. I like to watch the bands at Epcot and drink Disney alcohol (Magical Star Cocktails, Lapu Lapu, spiked Dole Whips) but not get drunk. I will NEVER spend time watching the Lumberjacks no matter how big a crowd they draw. I frequently schedule my trips around Yeeha Bob's schedule. I frequently schedule meals around Boma's soup schedule and lean towards the chicken corn chowder. I don't like to spend time meeting characters. I hate Space Mountain but love Tower of Terror. I've been known to do a cupcake crawl. I've done 4 parks in a day. I've seen Fantasmic, Illuminations, Wishes, and Spectro all in one night. I've been at MK at 2am and spent the next day having Raglan Road brunch and watching football at Splittsville. Seeking same. Rookies need not reply. :)

I also have the same problem in finding a travel buddy. I am single and all my friends are married and some have kids. I went solo 2 years ago and had a blast. Did what I wanted when I wanted. Also ran my first 5k disney style and enjoyed the food and wine festival. I went this year with a friend and as much as I like traveling with her, I liked my alone time too. Would love to go in the spring again for flower and garden festival.

I have been to WDW a total of 6 times since 2008 with various friends & family. My hubby is fine never going again, but my 2 kids love to go! However, they are in high school and are involved in sports all year long. So, it is tough to find a time that works outside of summer. DD16 & I bought AP last summer to include a late 2014 summer trip (just us 2...had a BLAST) and to include an early 2015 summer trip. We are bringing her friend with this coming summer! Her friend has never been and has never flown anywhere, so we are excited to share the experience with her. But, with an AP, I just kept thinking about sneaking in a trip in between the 2 longer summer trips! Well, I finally just took the plunge. Just today, I booked Jan. 22-27! It will probably feel a little awkward, but I think I will get over it quickly! Of course, all the people I work with will really think I am nuts....they just can't wrap their heads around why I keep going back! (But then, again, only 2 of the 20+ people I work with have gone before....and of course, those 2 get it!) I say....go for it!!!

I've never done a real solo trip. My Dh and ds or just the Dh n I have gone, but it's a place he'd Not return if it were just up to him. He's been amazing ...going because he knows what it means to me. My ds is now college aged....25+trips for a 21 yr old, he d go, enjoys it but he's moved past disney now. I spent a whole day at MK once, alone, a while back...while the Dh n ds hung at the resort for a pool lounge day. While I enjoyed it...I really wanted to "share" it. I still get excited to see MK ( especially) n ride the same rides, I get teary eyed just being there. Only a true lover of disney gets that... But being with someone to laugh with, or people watch with is just a must for me. I wish that wasn't so as I recently purchased a home in Florida...it was always this "dream" for me... Some day I'll be in fla ( from the NE) and I'll go to Disney all the time. ( perhaps when I move here perm?, who knows... )That isn't reality right now, tho the Dh surprised me with a few days to get my disney fix a few months back... ( yeah, he's an Amazing guy). But I digress...for me...going alone for even a day felt kinda sad...watching others in groups, families ...I just wanted that. And generally speaking, i am fine going to the movies, or eating in a restaurant alone. So, I guess if I were you OP, I'd try it and I'm sending pixie dust ur way, I hope you have a Magical time alone.

I started making Solo and semi-Solo trips several years ago. It's different, but I enjoy it. I do a lot fewer attractions, just my favorites. I love that I can do whatever I want-go where I want, come and go as I please, eat where I want, break when I want. You will have a very different trip than taking a young child or a newbie!

What I do more on a solo trip is people watching and photography. It makes my trip so much more enjoyable to be able to take 7 photo of the same thing, different angles, different filters...instead of someone huffing at me after 1 quick picture, or to sit and sip a slushy in France and watch the people and little sidewalk-type shows than have to take an inventory, who wants to eat what, where, and when. I particularly enjoy going at Christmas time, generally right after Thanksgiving when everything is decorated but the crowds aren't crazy. So much to see and enjoy that is out of the ordinary. If you particularly enjoy Epcot, you may like to make a F&W or F&G-centric trip others in your circle may not be up for.

I did find that over multiple trips, I relaxed a lot more on my solo trips. Get up, sit by the pool, head to a park after lunch, funnel cake for dinner, stay late...I'm almost border-line commando with other trips.

I highly recommend a solo trip. As a DM, you could probably use a few days at your happy place to just chill. I would suggest starting out with a shorter trip, see if it's for you. Some people just don't do alone well and will never enjoy a trip like that. Don't jump right in with 7 days solo, because if you're mopey by day 3, it's not going to get better. If you rent a car, you could always take an afternoon or day to outlet shop, drive to Daytona, drive to the Gulf...there's plenty to do if you find you just need a break from Solo park time.

Ress

99% of the time I travel to Disney alone. I like having the freedom to walk as fast as I want, sleep as late or stay up as late as I want, eat, drink, etc as much or as little as I want. It can get a little lonely at times but don't let that get you down. Most of the time if you're on the bus, boat, monorail or in line for a ride you can engage in some conversation with strangers.

Another good thing about going to Disney alone is the single rider line. Sometimes that line is significantly shorter or faster. Hehehe. :cool1:

One thing I did notice is people always seem to ask me to take their picture, which never really happened when I was with someone.

So in conclusion: HAVE FUN! Experience Disney a new way. :cool2:

Another cool thing I've found when I'm solo is that other guests often assume I'm a CM and ask questions-like "Where is the nearest rest room?" "How do I get to…?" Usually I just tell them! I even got mistaken for a CM by other CMs once. When they did the random dream thing, the dream squad (?) was giving everyone who passed a certain spot on a path a dream FP to use anywhere. Well, I walked by and didn't get one. After another 50 feet or so, I turned around and went back to ask why. Turns out that they'd assumed I was a CM! They were so very apologetic I'm sure it was an honest error. I felt bad-later that day, I happened to see one of them and called him over. Poor guy! I could tell by the look on his face that he thought I was going to chew him out. However, I was just interested in his job, and we had a great conversation. Anyways, traveling solo, as you can probably tell, has never been "depressing". I've always found CMs love to talk to solos. But one reason I love solo trips is that I can walk as slow as I want, not fast-DH is the fast walker-I tend to be the 'stroll as far as the nest bench' type.

I've done solo once. There are good points and bad going solo. I felt the worse eating dinner alone. If I do it again I think I would do more quick service meals and perhaps lunch at the deluxe restaurants instead of dinner. I did go to Teppan and Biergarten in Epcot for dinner; because, you are seated together with other people. Biergarten was fun with strangers, but Teppan not so much.

I felt lonely at times. I would strike up conversations with others, but it is a little awkward. This worked better with couples and other solo travelers. Families are concentrated on their families.

It was nice to do exactly what I wanted when I wanted to do it. I did accomplish more attractions and shows on my solo trip compared to other trips.

I did feel a little concerned about going back to the resort at night. I found myself looking around more when getting back to my room. There wasn't a problem, but I did feel a little uneasy being female. For the values and moderates I would get a first floor room and closer to the food court and lobby. For deluxe I would want to be close to the lobby area.

Here's the thing. Just like you might sometimes get lonely on a solo trip, it isn't always peachy on group trips either. Instead of being lonely you are putting up with a kid's tantrum or an adult who has got the grumps, etc. Either way, there are pros and cons to both types. You may always prefer group trips, but you will never know if you prefer solo trips if you don't take one!

I took the plunge and did my first Solo trip in September, and let me tell you: BEST. TRIP. EVER. Seriously. My next trip would be solo too, if I had it my way! But I spent that week in Disney updating Facebook with my adventures, which resulted in a couple of family members who have never been suddenly deciding that they MUST to tag along on the next one now after they saw how much fun I was having. Ooops! :rotfl:

I'm a single gal who was raised an Only Child, have no kids of my own, am pretty introverted, and very comfortable with my own company. I was a little nervous before my trip, but as it turned out, I discovered that I positively loved the freedom to go and do and eat and drink and sleep as much or as little as I wanted. I loved the quiet moments, just soaking it all in and communing with my sacred happy place. I loved how much more I was able to accomplish in shorter amounts of time without ever once having to stop and discuss or debate anything with anybody. I did ADRs, even character meals, and had a blast. I got my face painted. I rode Soarin' twice. I did every EMH I could. I pigged out at Food & Wine booths. I saw La Nouba. I went to my first MNSSHP.

I finally was able to relax and stop constantly worrying that other people were having fun, and just make sure that I was happy. :cloud9:

It was a GREAT trip, and I highly recommend anybody with an interest in traveling solo to Disney to give it a try! You never know if it's for you until you put yourself out there and find out. :hug:

I agree with you, Tara8595. I wish we had that "Travel Buddies" board on the forum. If you have trouble finding someone to go with you... Imagine when I try to find someone... $1,000 only for the flight (I live in Spain)! Most people just laugh when I say that I want to spend so much money just "to go to a park for children".

I'm a single gal who was raised an Only Child, have no kids of my own, am pretty introverted, and very comfortable with my own company. I was a little nervous before my trip, but as it turned out, I discovered that I positively loved the freedom to go and do and eat and drink and sleep as much or as little as I wanted. I loved the quiet moments, just soaking it all in and communing with my sacred happy place. I loved how much more I was able to accomplish in shorter amounts of time without ever once having to stop and discuss or debate anything with anybody.
Same for me. I took my first solo trip in September and had a blast! It was no problem at all. Can't wait to do it again!

Same for me. I took my first solo trip in September and had a blast! It was no problem at all. Can't wait to do it again!

You know I'm also an only child, and I've often thought to test the theory of correlation between being raised as an only child and enjoyment of solo trips to WDW. Do you think anyone would fund me to research that:rotfl:?

Joining the comment party.

I did solo, wow, 4 years ago now and it was possibly the best trip ever.

Went two years ago with a friend and while we spent the first 2-3 days together (including doing the 4 Parks 1 Day thing) we split up for the last few days of the trip, just different goals in mind.

I love Disney solo.

Single Rider Lines.

Keep your ears open in line for CMs saying "Single Rider? Party of One Needed". Seriously listen for it even when you think you are too far back.

If you want to talk to someone there are people all around, if you don't want to talk don't.

I thought I'd feel a little self conscious eating alone, I didn't. Frankly no one notices you, they are busy with their own things. I would say bring something to read/look at at lunch if you feel the need, I updated my plan map then but mostly I people watched.

You aren't worrying about making anyone happy, making sure they did what they wanted along with your list.

I'll be curious to see how the New FP+ works with solo travelers. If it will be easier to get certain times or not.

I'll be curious to see how the New FP+ works with solo travelers. If it will be easier to get certain times or not.
I can say from experience that when I logged into MDE 60 days prior to my check-in date for my solo trip in September, I had absolutely zero problems getting every FastPass+ that I wanted. :thumbsup2

You know I'm also an only child, and I've often thought to test the theory of correlation between being raised as an only child and enjoyment of solo trips to WDW. Do you think anyone would fund me to research that:rotfl:?
Probably not! lol But I guess it makes sense that only children might enjoy solo trips. I really wouldn't have minded having someone come along (but not the people who accompanied me on previous Disney trips since they got on my nerves) but I was glad to be able to book the dates, hotel, activities, and restaurants that I wanted without having to consult with anyone else. The only time I felt a bit weird was on Mad Tea Party. :)

My profile would read like this: I am a 46 yo DM who likes to travel more often than my family. I like to do all 4 parks, arrive early and stay late. I like to watch the bands at Epcot and drink Disney alcohol (Magical Star Cocktails, Lapu Lapu, spiked Dole Whips) but not get drunk. I will NEVER spend time watching the Lumberjacks no matter how big a crowd they draw. I frequently schedule my trips around Yeeha Bob's schedule. I frequently schedule meals around Boma's soup schedule and lean towards the chicken corn chowder. I don't like to spend time meeting characters. I hate Space Mountain but love Tower of Terror. I've been known to do a cupcake crawl. I've done 4 parks in a day. I've seen Fantasmic, Illuminations, Wishes, and Spectro all in one night. I've been at MK at 2am and spent the next day having Raglan Road brunch and watching football at Splittsville. Seeking same. Rookies need not reply. :)

This is great haha
I just booked my first solo trip. Well, it was actually planned as a couples trip but my partner got stressed about it saying this is too much Disney in one year and backed out. So now I'm going alone. I was depressed for about 5 minutes until I started planning it and now I'm really excited. I am looking forward to just doing what I want for a few days. I have no idea if I will find this fun or not but I generally have no problem being alone so I'm optimistic about it. But if I don't like it I might have to consider the Disney travel buddy group too lol. My profile would read something like this:

I am a 38 year old Disney annual passholder. I don't have kids and don't really even like kids so I try to avoid them at all costs when at Disney. For this reason I will only travel to WDW on weekdays and when school is in session. I only stay deluxe and never on the MK loop (due to high children traffic). I walk fast because there is a lot to get to and I'm always trying to shed a few pounds on these trips anyway while I'm at it. I don't eat anything during the day except for coffee and green vegetable smoothies that I make and pack myself (apologies in advance for all the blender noise in the room) because I have to keep my energy up. However, I have no problem stopping for meals even if it's table service if you are an eater. I do like to enjoy a nice meal at the end of the day and I'm not picky so you can always choose the dinner restaurant. I go crazy waiting... so if any wait is longer then 10 minutes I will get out my book. Don't take this the wrong way--it just helps me cope. I can exist on very little sleep so I'm open for early mornings and late nights. Tower of Terror is my favorite ride and like to go on it over and over and over. Oh and I will do anything to avoid crowds. If it gets cold I am the first one to head to the water park and if it's raining I grab an umbrella and head to the parks. These are the best times to walk on rides. Any Disney experience level is fine :)

Eating alone I thought would bother me. People would look at me weird, etc. but I find the servers pay just a bit more attention to you and your needs. Maybe they don't and it's all in my head, but then again maybe it's not. Ok, enough philosophical junk.

If I wanted to eat at the California Grill I don't have to worry about splitting the bill. :D

If I want to sit and drink, oh I don't know, 14 cups of coffee before starting my day then I can.

I wasn't the only child in my family. I was the youngest of three and painfully shy growing up. Very anxious, was afraid to do things by myself, and I would pretty much panic if someone in my family wasn't around. I think I take solo trips to prove to myself that I CAN do things for and by myself. It's quite liberating in a way, and what better place to be liberated than Disney World? :banana:

I wasn't the only child in my family. I was the youngest of three and painfully shy growing up. Very anxious, was afraid to do things by myself, and I would pretty much panic if someone in my family wasn't around. I think I take solo trips to prove to myself that I CAN do things for and by myself. It's quite liberating in a way, and what better place to be liberated than Disney World? :banana:
I absolutely LOVE this!!! Good on you!!! :thumbsup2

Going early seems to help; because, there are less people and you have a better chance to get on the rides stand by. The more you wait for rides the more I feel lonely. Use FP+ for the afternoon or evening when it gets more crowded seems to be a good idea.

Pick off hours for lunch or dinner like going early or late; don't go during peak times. I find buffets less lonely; because, you can get your food quicker, eat and get done. You can use your food court and bring the food back to your room if you feel conspicuous. Quick service is easier than a sit down restaurant.

If you can afford extras, going solo is a great time time to do the Disney tours. The groups are small and seem pretty friendly if you want to strike up a conversation. You feel less lonely being part of a group. Doing a special lunch like Lunch with an Imagineer is a nice way to go, too.

I found doing the shows are less lonely; because, you blend in with the crowd.

Fireworks and parades are probably the worse if you want a good view. Staking out a place an hour ahead of time with no one to really talk to is hard. I would prefer to have a poorer view and not wait alone and do it last minute.

I found I did not stay in the parks for more than 8 hours being alone. With a fellow traveller we would do 12 hour days.

In reality, I believe not too many others are paying attention to you being alone; because, they are very self absorbed doing their vacation. It's your own mindset that makes it feel like you are more alone.

I will say an amusement park is probably one of the best places to go solo. You're in one location, more or less, which makes it easier. Staying onsite makes it easy to be solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter