New Show Coming to the Magic March 2010!!!

They don't have any theater style show that they pull out for longer cruises. The additional nights are all variety shows/performers.

I guess I was thinking about the WHEN MICKEY DREAMS show from the 2007 TA. That is a theatre style show, I believe.

They must have a way to have more than 3 shows on board as I was just looking back over the 2007 TA navigators and during the week they had scheduled:
Disney Dreams
When Mickey Dreams
Toy Story
Twice Charmed
Golden Mickey

How do they get all the sets onboard for these cruises?

I suppose it doesn't matter if the decision has already been made. But it is disappointing to know we will only have 2 state shows---they are a highlight for many! I will try to reserve judgement--perhaps it will be a fantastic substitution????

I guess I was thinking about the WHEN MICKEY DREAMS show from the 2007 TA. That is a theatre style show, I believe.

They must have a way to have more than 3 shows on board as I was just looking back over the 2007 TA navigators and during the week they had scheduled:
Disney Dreams
When Mickey Dreams
Toy Story
Twice Charmed
Golden Mickey

Toy Story was not on the 2007 TA cruises. They had a show called the Art of the Story. More multi-media than stage show (clips of films and things). And I wouldn't call When Mickey Dreams a theater show. It was more of a poor man's version of Cirque de Soliel (but better than the Bumblesquat "cirque-like" show they had on prior PC cruise). They may have used a couple props/sets from Disney Dreams --I seem to remember the bed. But the performances were more like someone twirling from a ribbon, spinning hoops that they were doing flips in and things like that.

If they really wanted to do something special for everyone who is traveling during that period of transition, they would put on their crew talent show. That is always the best show they add for the longer cruises.

I am very, very, very sad that we only get 2 shows. I have said this before but just felt the need to express it again. It just seems like we are missing a major product or service.

Toy Story was not on the 2007 TA cruises. They had a show called the Art of the Story. More multi-media than stage show (clips of films and things). And I wouldn't call When Mickey Dreams a theater show. It was more of a poor man's version of Cirque de Soliel (but better than the Bumblesquat "cirque-like" show they had on prior PC cruise). They may have used a couple props/sets from Disney Dreams --I seem to remember the bed. But the performances were more like someone twirling from a ribbon, spinning hoops that they were doing flips in and things like that.

If they really wanted to do something special for everyone who is traveling during that period of transition, they would put on their crew talent show. That is always the best show they add for the longer cruises.

This is really interesting. I would love to see these other "shows"....did you enjoy them?? I like your thought about the crew talent show---that sounds like a great replacement. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Just got off the Magic and did the Platinum Theater tour. The stage manager/technical manager told us that the current cast is leaving the Magic on Feb 20, 2010 and with them goes Golden Mickeys. So if you are sailing between that date and the premier date of March 27th, you'll only have two stage shows. You'll get an extra night of either a movie or variety show.

They will be in rehearsals and they need the scenery for Villians Tonight and can only store 3 shows worth at a time.

Add me to disappointed crew. We're travelling over March break - surely a high-rate, high-volume time - and we'll not get a chance to enjoy the full theatrical fare. I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs.

So I am paying a premium price on the March 13th sailing and getting less for my money. This is five years of savings to see a show called Once Upon a Song instead of Golden Mickeys with no compensation for the reduction in value of the cruise.

Has any one complained to the Cruise Line? What was their response?

Add me to disappointed crew. We're travelling over March break - surely a high-rate, high-volume time - and we'll not get a chance to enjoy the full theatrical fare. I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs.

I know everyone traveling during this time will be disappointed that they are missing one of the three stage shows. I'm not discounting that, I'm just offering the following information to help you understand why they need the time and may not want an audience for rehersals.

As was explained to us on the theater tour -- the cast has rehearsed. But have not performed on the theater so need to rehearse there. The "holes in the floor" being one of the major concerns. (Each time the cast leaves the ship they are "separated" from the company and have to re-audition and get re-hired. So there's a good chance that some performers have not been onboard before.) Also the technical crew onboard has not rehearsed at all. They have been busy running the other shows. They need those few weeks to learn lighting queues, set moving and any other things (pyrotechnics). On land, rehearsals concentrate on the first sting cast learning the show, once on the ship, the understudies then have to learn all the other parts.

I'm just another dissapointed passenger that is also on a March cruise with only 2 shows. In the parks, Disney always does a "soft" opening of rides, shows, etc. I still don't understand why the same can't apply here...we would all understand that the show wouldn't be perfect, but come on, at least give us the show. All I can say is whatever they do, it better be good!!

I wouldn't be upset if they added a Variety Show, could help my chances of seeing Alfred and Seymour again:cool1::thumbsup2

At least I hope they will have a lot of villians meet n' greet on the ship since they will already be on board for the show. That is the least they can do for not performing for us! :) I think my kids would get a kick out of having their pictures taken with them since the villians are not the most common in the parks.

" Add me to disappointed crew. We're travelling over March break - surely a high-rate, high-volume time - and we'll not get a chance to enjoy the full theatrical fare. I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs. "

Being a performer on DCL is a completely different ballgame than let's say, a WDW performer. The incoming cast rehearses the shows in Toronto, while the current cast is performing on the ship. When the new cast comes in, they have a 2 week crossover period, where all of the shows are rehearsed during the day and the current cast performs at night. However, with a new show, there is simply not enough time to "tech" a brand new show within those 2 weeks. Whereas at WDW, they are not replacing any cast, so they have full use of whatever stage space they are using to both rehearse and tech the show. They can set whatever "soft" opening dates they want.

So much more happens than just simply opening the new show right away with the new cast.

1) The technicians onboard need to figure out how the new show fits within the confinements of the space. This includes moving lights, hanging set pieces, finding space for new costumes, how they will deal with repairs, troubleshooting, contingencies, etc.

2) The creative team for the new show needs time alone in the theatre to figure out lighting sequence cues, mixing the volume of the show, how pyrotechnics can safely fit into the show, when set pieces will be moved, etc.

3) The cast needs time to become comfortable with the ship and the stage, which they have never performed on. Expecting them to rehearse (on the magic at least...) welcome aboard, farewell, disney dreams and twice charmed PLUS tech a brand new show is absolutely absurd. To guests who think this is possible...you clearly know nothing about performing arts, especially ones pertaining to a cruise ship.

To answer your "indirect" question of, "I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs. " -- The new cast will have been rehearsing all of the shows for almost three months; the knowledge of the new show and other shows is absolutely well rehearsed, but once again, you cannot expect them to drill that much material in a 2 week crossover period. It is impossible. It is also unsafe. Imagine if your son or daughter was a performer on DCL and they were expected to be introduced to an entirely different living environment, dangerous lifts and pyrotechnics, performing on a stage that is rocking back and forth (sometimes violently), etc. Would you expect them to have all of these shows ready in 2 weeks? I don't think you would like DCL very much if they did. Injuries would surely ensue, and then the show certainly wouldn't be able to premiere on it's opening cruise.

" I'm just another dissapointed passenger that is also on a March cruise with only 2 shows. In the parks, Disney always does a "soft" opening of rides, shows, etc. I still don't understand why the same can't apply here...we would all understand that the show wouldn't be perfect, but come on, at least give us the show. All I can say is whatever they do, it better be good!! "

There will be no show to "show", because in the theatre world you don't rehearse/tech an entire show overnight. The show will be slowly pieced together, scene by scene, and will finally be ready to be presented in it's full form to an audience at the end of the tech period. The cast could "show" you the show, which would consist of maybe a few minutes here and there, with no costumes, hardly any music, no lighting, etc. Would you really want to ruin your child's vision of these characters? They would see Hades and Cruella in jazz pants and tank tops?

Quit being so ignorant. The fact that Disney is spending this much money and is willing to always push the boundaries for cruise ship entertainment should be applauded. Try going on another cruise ship, where on a 10-11 day cruise, there are 3 shows, whereas on Disney there are 7 shows.

I was on the Magic 2 or 3 months after they swapped out Hercules for Twice Charmed and did the stage tour. They said the biggest job swapping shows was that they could not offload all of the Hercules set in one stop at Port Canaveral and still make the sailing time. So it took 2 stops to unload the old set and 1 or 2 stops to load on the new sets. I had the feeling from the way a couple of the stage guys talked that it was a lot more work than they had planned on. If you were allowed backstage, you would see how little room they have to store sets and they have to do some assembly/disassembly to move them off the ship.

One more :thumbsup2 for this new show!
I was jealous that the Wonder got a new show (Toy Story), so at least we'll have something new on the Magic now.

I am surprised they'll replace the Golden Mickeys with this one though, I thought maybe the Disney Dreams show would go. Oh well.
Guess they wanted to keep the "sweet" show to balance the villains in Twice Charmed and now "Villains Tonight!"

Anything new now and then is so appreciated by us repeat cruisers!!

Disney Dreams is their award winning signature show. So, it's not likely to go away any time soon.

I am actually looking forward to Villians Tonight... but it may be a long time. Our next cruise will probably be on the Dream... and who knows what shows will be on there!

I just wanted to edit my own quote...last sentence...whatever they do IN BETWEEN the two shows, it better be good! (I know the villians show won't disappoint!) :)

I'm just another dissapointed passenger that is also on a March cruise with only 2 shows. In the parks, Disney always does a "soft" opening of rides, shows, etc. I still don't understand why the same can't apply here...we would all understand that the show wouldn't be perfect, but come on, at least give us the show. All I can say is whatever they do, it better be good!!

Easy, dawes.j!

" Add me to disappointed crew. We're travelling over March break - surely a high-rate, high-volume time - and we'll not get a chance to enjoy the full theatrical fare. I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs. "

Being a performer on DCL is a completely different ballgame than let's say, a WDW performer. The incoming cast rehearses the shows in Toronto, while the current cast is performing on the ship. When the new cast comes in, they have a 2 week crossover period, where all of the shows are rehearsed during the day and the current cast performs at night. However, with a new show, there is simply not enough time to "tech" a brand new show within those 2 weeks. Whereas at WDW, they are not replacing any cast, so they have full use of whatever stage space they are using to both rehearse and tech the show. They can set whatever "soft" opening dates they want.

So much more happens than just simply opening the new show right away with the new cast.

1) The technicians onboard need to figure out how the new show fits within the confinements of the space. This includes moving lights, hanging set pieces, finding space for new costumes, how they will deal with repairs, troubleshooting, contingencies, etc.

2) The creative team for the new show needs time alone in the theatre to figure out lighting sequence cues, mixing the volume of the show, how pyrotechnics can safely fit into the show, when set pieces will be moved, etc.

3) The cast needs time to become comfortable with the ship and the stage, which they have never performed on. Expecting them to rehearse (on the magic at least...) welcome aboard, farewell, disney dreams and twice charmed PLUS tech a brand new show is absolutely absurd. To guests who think this is possible...you clearly know nothing about performing arts, especially ones pertaining to a cruise ship.

To answer your "indirect" question of, "I find it a bit odd that the new cast isn't ready when the old cast departs. " -- The new cast will have been rehearsing all of the shows for almost three months; the knowledge of the new show and other shows is absolutely well rehearsed, but once again, you cannot expect them to drill that much material in a 2 week crossover period. It is impossible. It is also unsafe. Imagine if your son or daughter was a performer on DCL and they were expected to be introduced to an entirely different living environment, dangerous lifts and pyrotechnics, performing on a stage that is rocking back and forth (sometimes violently), etc. Would you expect them to have all of these shows ready in 2 weeks? I don't think you would like DCL very much if they did. Injuries would surely ensue, and then the show certainly wouldn't be able to premiere on it's opening cruise.

" I'm just another dissapointed passenger that is also on a March cruise with only 2 shows. In the parks, Disney always does a "soft" opening of rides, shows, etc. I still don't understand why the same can't apply here...we would all understand that the show wouldn't be perfect, but come on, at least give us the show. All I can say is whatever they do, it better be good!! "

There will be no show to "show", because in the theatre world you don't rehearse/tech an entire show overnight. The show will be slowly pieced together, scene by scene, and will finally be ready to be presented in it's full form to an audience at the end of the tech period. The cast could "show" you the show, which would consist of maybe a few minutes here and there, with no costumes, hardly any music, no lighting, etc. Would you really want to ruin your child's vision of these characters? They would see Hades and Cruella in jazz pants and tank tops?

Quit being so ignorant. The fact that Disney is spending this much money and is willing to always push the boundaries for cruise ship entertainment should be applauded. Try going on another cruise ship, where on a 10-11 day cruise, there are 3 shows, whereas on Disney there are 7 shows.

sorry -- the use of ignorant was a bit harsh. just wanted to fully explain how everything works to those who don't know.

well said clten.

Count me in as a March cruiser that is a bit disappointed that we are paying a premium price (for Spring Break) and are losing out on a bit of the regular "show."

When Disney charges a premium, they owe the paying customer a premium. I am fully aware of logistics and issues. But rather than excuses, as a paying customer I expect value. I'll wait to see what is offered on my cruise before I pass judgement, but the extra variety show ought to be a little higher level if they take customer service seriously.

From the looks of the audition notice that was posted a bit ago, the show should be quite excellent. Hunter Bell and Jeff Bowen (Book and Music) wrote Title Of Show, a Tony nominated production. The casting notice also listed the director to be Allison Nerver who ,from research, served as associate director to Julie Taymor on The Lion King on Broadway. Quite exciting!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they incorporate the Villains... especially Kronk and Yzma!

So I am paying a premium price on the March 13th sailing and getting less for my money. This is five years of savings to see a show called Once Upon a Song instead of Golden Mickeys with no compensation for the reduction in value of the cruise.

Has any one complained to the Cruise Line? What was their response?

Just wondering where this information came from? Has an alternate show been announced for the "inbetween" sailings??????

Just wondering where this information came from? Has an alternate show been announced for the "inbetween" sailings??????

Called the reservations number and they indicated that was the replacement show name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter