New Security measures going into effect Dec 17, 2015 at WDW

I hope it's not that 3D full-body scan like they have at some airports. One time I was selected for that, and as I stood there being scanned by that thing, I just kept apologizing to the TSA agents for what they were seeing.
I've been in this thing too, a long time ago, when they first came out. And being the geek that I am, and having the employment history I have, I was VERY excited to be picked out to be screened, and couldn't wait to get to work to tell them about it. Corny, I know. :o

I've been in this thing too, a long time ago, when they first came out. And being the geek that I am, and having the employment history I have, I was VERY excited to be picked out to be screened, and couldn't wait to get to work to tell them about it. Corny, I know. :o

You're just an exhibitionist, Heidi.

Seriously doubt this will be a temporary measure.
I seriously hope it is not a temporary measure. I would like to see it more like the airport myself. I know it takes extra time but in this day and age it is worth the extra time IMO.

I think it's important to remember that a large part of security measures are psychological. Seeing that you need to pass body scanners or metal detectors would be enough to deter most people from trying to bring a weapon into the parks, but it's the keen eye of a trained security officer that usually identifies even a small weapon, as was the case with the lawyer from Miami. I nearly always leave my bags at home/hotel and stuff my cargo pants pocket to avoid the lines for bag check. I have never been stopped or checked, and I am certain I would have been able to sneak a weapon into a park or DS.

I believe it was Pete that mentioned the officers in body armor with automatic rifles after the Paris attacks and around airports after 9/11. It made everyone feel more secure, but also puts everyone on edge and more alert. The bag checks and local sheriffs deputies on hand did that to a degree, this is the next step. That being said, Disney world is more than 4 theme parks, and no security measure is 100%. Any soft target will have the potential to be a target for violence or terrorist acts, so the key thing is for everyone to stay vigilant and report anything they may see.

The bubble of Disney has grown thinner, but I prefer that to the alternative of constantly looking over my shoulder. Now all I need to focus on is being run over by strollers and scooters or being trapped on Small World for 2 hours.

Waterboarding has been replaced by repeated plays of "it's a small world".

Remove shoes and belts and empty pockets of everything coming soon?? No more than 3 ounces of liquids?? lol

The liquid part may be coming (just a guess). I'll give examples of why.

At Philadelphia Eagles game people could bring in food, Just like in Disney. Many people would wrap a few beer's in butchers paper and make what was call a steel hoagie. Now you can not bring food into the stadium. Beyond the drinking aspect, a can of beer is dangerous when sealed and thrown. This is why all stadiums and places like Epcot either use plastic bottles with the cap removed, or pour into a plastic cup.

There are sites to buy sealed water bottles that are actually filled with vodka or rum.

Body scanners are used more now because a metal detector wont pick up a carbon fiber knife. On my last trip from Orlando the scanner did pick up my magic band that I had attached to my belt. There are plenty of things someone could hide in a pocket that are worse than a revolver.

There are too many things to list that a person could bring onto Disney property to aid in terrorism. It's not the tools or cameras that do the work, but the training and person at the gates that matter. I think Disney has a top level staff in place.

Reading the actual article makes me wonder if this isn't just "click bait". The story is pretty upfront at saying that these are rumors and that it could start as early as this week. The headline seems designed to get attention. And note that the motto of the Inquisitr site is "News worth sharing".
It's possible it could be click bait. But I just left the magic kingdom and there was one scanner yesterday. I think it was used for random checks. Because we never used it.

Security is checking us but the real question is who's checking security? Hey bad cops, bad security

Security is checking us but the real question is who's checking security? Hey bad cops, bad security

I actually do believe that if they have security concerns they should also be checking every CM and delivery truck coming in. But no, I don't think they should be just checking security looking for "bad cops". :cool:

Assume that everyone is watching everyone. Much like in chess, even a pawn can take a king (or in some peoples cases, a queen).

I am all for the extra security measures. If it makes all of us safer, go for it.

I used to work for a security company that staffed a pro football stadium & large concert venues. You wouldn't believe what people would hide (and where). They did allow liquids (up to a certain bottle size, I believe) if the bottle was factory sealed. Non-alcoholic, of course. People would of course smuggle in alcohol anywhere they could, though I doubt that is the main cause for new security features at WDW lol. Eventually the football stadium dropped down to no bags (exceptions for those who needed them for medical purposes or if they had a small child) which might have even been an NFL-wide thing.

Eventually the football stadium dropped down to no bags (exceptions for those who needed them for medical purposes or if they had a small child) which might have even been an NFL-wide thing.

I go to Nashville every year for a concert event and they now make that event to use the NFL approved clear plastic bags and they are only allowed to be 12x6x12.

I just thought of this; If costumes are banned for anyone over 14, does this mean the end of Dapper Day? I mean, a lot the the outfits people wear could be considered a costume, just as a plastic orange tipped musket could be considered a weapon.

It makes me laugh that everyone in this thread is fairly positive about the changes, but on the theme parks board people are so angry about them. I'm not sure what that says about that different demographics of the various parts of the boards, but it is very interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter