• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Security Measures for MK Guests; UPDATES: Page 12 - Post 222; Live Reports - Pgs. 18-20

You'll be going through security at Epcot when you get off the monorail since it doesn't let you off inside the gates. Therefore there shouldn't be a reason they have a security checkpoint at TTC checking guests going on the monorail to Epcot

Current thinking is if you walk to TTC from Polynesian you will need to go through the same security entrance as people who drive and are arriving on the trams to go to MK. How would they separate us to go to the Epcot monorail - I'm not sure, is it the same entrance?

It would work if every weapon was made of metal, but that's not the case. Even back on 9/11, some of them got through by having plastic knifes on them which won't set off a metal detector

I agree, however someone can easily put a plastic knife(s), in their pants, wrap it onto their legs etc and get into wdw even after going thru a metal detector.

Last edited:
Or if you don't like the way the do their security, you don't have to go there. That isn't rocket science either.

I am a woman, I have no problem with them putting their "dirty" stick in my bag. Really, its not a big deal, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Of course I don't have to go there, thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of that. I carry food (gum, mints) inside my pocketbook, and yes, I have a problem with the way Disney goes thru my personal bags. I think an x-ray machine is much less intrusive and if you have no problem with them going thru your bags, that's fine. I have a right to my opinion.

That poster has a choice, she does not have to go to WDW, or if she wants to go, she can not carry a bag that they have to go through. Its not really a big deal, an invasion of privacy? Come on, security isn't opening your wallet taking out your credit cards, looking over your reciept. Cheking family photos, asking you what this and that is, making you take it out and show everyone. They are peeking in your bag for what 30 seconds. Its not a big deal and yes I think that poster is making a mountain out of a molehill, but again she has choices. Instead of whining, how about she does something about "her issue" instead and wear some cargo pants ans stuff her pockets with her feminine products. Problem of hers, solved.

You seem like a very angry person. This is a message board where people post their concerns and opinions, if you don't agree with them, it gives you no right to attack and think your opinion or feelings are the right ones. There is nothing wrong with saying you don't agree but why the insults and attacking? Very un-disneylike.

Maybe I missed it but did it mention anywhere what time these tables are going to be open by? or will we have to wait until tomorrow to find that out?

Just wondering what impact, if any, the new changes will have on what time us offsiters will end up getting over to MK for PPO reservations? It's probably too early to tell atm, I guess.

I don't understand though, will I have to go through security every time i use the monorail while staying at Polynesian, even if not going to MK but rather to dinner at other resort?
That seems to be the case. This is not customer friendly if you are resort hopping. Can you imagine the backup at the POLY to get on the monorail? Oh MY....

:scratchin I'm 100% certain this thread began as an Alert to the security changes that will begin tomorrow - Monday, April 3rd.

Please remain on the topic of this security change so this thread can remain open beyond tomorrow when reports come in on the actual changes that are in place.

Thanks! :-)

Current thinking is if you walk to TTC from Polynesian you will need to go through the same security entrance as people who drive and are arriving on the trams to go to MK. How would they separate us to go to the Epcot monorail - I'm not sure, is it the same entrance?

I'm going completely off of what I think and nothing concrete that I've heard..But I would think they would have ropes or something up separating the ferry and express/resort monorail from everything else. So if you're heading to MK or the monorail resorts, then you have to go through this security checkpoint. Epcot monorail is to the right of the express and resort monorail, so they could easily have ropes or a sign indicating that "If going to Epcot, head this way" that would not go through the MK security.

Then if you are heading to MK, you go through the security then have your choice of if you want to go to ferry, MK express monorail, or resort monorail.

Or if say the ferry is down and they have the monorail and bus offered. Those taking the buses would get off at MK and go through the security checkpoint set up outside of the bus loop.

Of course I could be wrong about all that, but if I worked for Disney and was asked about it, that's what I would propose. I just don't see a reason they would have people getting on the Epcot monorail to go through security if they have to go through security when they arrive at Epcot.

Maybe I missed it but did it mention anywhere what time these tables are going to be open by? or will we have to wait until tomorrow to find that out?

Just wondering what impact, if any, the new changes will have on what time us offsiters will end up getting over to MK for PPO reservations? It's probably too early to tell atm, I guess.

I don't think a time has been posted but I would imagine it'll probably be like 90 min before park opening

That seems to be the case. This is not customer friendly if you are resort hopping. Can you imagine the backup at the POLY to get on the monorail? Oh MY....

I really don't see backups will be a problem. They'll likely have enough security working so lines will flow quickly, and it only takes a few seconds per person to get through. Guests have to wait on the monorail to arrive, so it shouldn't be much issue.

Hopefully everything goes smooth

I will be curious for an update on this. We are going in june, and its been 2 years since we last went. I'm a little confused, it seems like so far, this just for MK, right? But is it bag check first, then metal detector? Or vice versa? Or sometimes just one? Just wondering about all our disney pins!!

I'm going completely off of what I think and nothing concrete that I've heard..But I would think they would have ropes or something up separating the ferry and express/resort monorail from everything else. So if you're heading to MK or the monorail resorts, then you have to go through this security checkpoint. Epcot monorail is to the right of the express and resort monorail, so they could easily have ropes or a sign indicating that "If going to Epcot, head this way" that would not go through the MK security.

Then if you are heading to MK, you go through the security then have your choice of if you want to go to ferry, MK express monorail, or resort monorail.

Or if say the ferry is down and they have the monorail and bus offered. Those taking the buses would get off at MK and go through the security checkpoint set up outside of the bus loop.

Of course I could be wrong about all that, but if I worked for Disney and was asked about it, that's what I would propose. I just don't see a reason they would have people getting on the Epcot monorail to go through security if they have to go through security when they arrive at Epcot.
Just got home from the Poly-the new covered structures that presumably will house the security tables are immediately following you getting off the tram-they have gates that go across the perimeter behind the ticket booths and to the left of the ticket booths where we walked through every morning to catch the monorail to MK or Epcot from the Poly walk way. I'm assuming the gate to the left will either be closed or serve as an exit where security will closely watch to ensure no unscreened persons enter (like they currently do at MK). I don't see any way for them not to screen those headed to the Epcot monorail with how they appear to have constructed the new security set up (since it occurs before the crowds spilt MK vs Epcot. The only way I can think of that they could do it would perhaps be if beyond the villains tram stop there is another gate (like the one nearest the Poly walkway) and they constructed a new barrier to separate that area on the right that leads to the Epcot monorail from the left area that leads to the ferry and MK monorails. I think that is extremely unlikely though. Also If I recall correctly the non disney buses are past the Epcot monorail off to the right hand side and will need to be screened as well so I really can't see how they could not be forcing everyone to be screened prior to approaching the monorail area

I will be curious for an update on this. We are going in june, and its been 2 years since we last went. I'm a little confused, it seems like so far, this just for MK, right? But is it bag check first, then metal detector? Or vice versa? Or sometimes just one? Just wondering about all our disney pins!!
Currently Bag check happens first then the metal detector a few feet away. At Epcot they have moved to having it simultaneously with 2 bag check lines feeding into one metal detector (kind of like the lines at airport security). There they have Lines on the far sides for strollers/wheelchairs/ecv and the adults get wanded instead of going through the metal detector

Just got home from the Poly-the new covered structures that presumably will house the security tables are immediately following you getting off the tram-they have gates that go across the perimeter behind the ticket booths and to the left of the ticket booths where we walked through every morning to catch the monorail to MK or Epcot from the Poly walk way. I'm assuming the gate to the left will either be closed or serve as an exit where security will closely watch to ensure no unscreened persons enter (like they currently do at MK). I don't see any way for them not to screen those headed to the Epcot monorail with how they appear to have constructed the new security set up (since it occurs before the crowds spilt MK vs Epcot. The only way I can think of that they could do it would perhaps be if beyond the villains tram stop there is another gate (like the one nearest the Poly walkway) and they constructed a new barrier to separate that area on the right that leads to the Epcot monorail from the left area that leads to the ferry and MK monorails. I think that is extremely unlikely though. Also If I recall correctly the non disney buses are past the Epcot monorail off to the right hand side and will need to be screened as well so I really can't see how they could not be forcing everyone to be screened prior to approaching the monorail area

This is what I feared.

Okay feared is a strong word, :). I'll just have to adjust how we do rope drop at Epcot - as that's the only thing I can see being enough of an annoyance to find another route.

IMG_5191.JPG
This is the pic I took Friday am at TTC. As you can see they have those hedge planters on wheels creating a "wall" along the front of the new covered area (the blue roof) and again along the side of the ticket window line area. I think the decorative disney fence in the front was new as well (at least I didn't remember it on previous trips). There were a lot of construction type workers out early Thursday and Friday am (you can see one in this pic). Friday am they were also doing some work right by the building to the left of the ticket windows (there is discreet tall fencing along it now that I didn't recall being there previously-it very well may have been but I noticed it when there were a bunch of the construction workers working right next to it)

Currently Bag check happens first then the metal detector a few feet away. At Epcot they have moved to having it simultaneously with 2 bag check lines feeding into one metal detector (kind of like the lines at airport security). There they have Lines on the far sides for strollers/wheelchairs/ecv and the adults get wanded instead of going through the metal detector

Thanks, that helps to visualize it a little better. Hopfully its easy enough to get through without us getting in the wrong line or something and taking three times as long!

When we went to Epcot on 3/15, the parking trams dropped us off to the left of the entrance, and they had a much larger security screening area there than I remember seeing in January. So I'm wondering whether they'll move the security screening area that's been under the monorail down toward the busses, so that folks coming in via monorail, who will have been screened at TTC/MK (I think, based on CMNJ's post), will go directly to the tapstiles, and only the guests arriving by bus will be screened on that side.

Looking forward to reading posts tomorrow - we'll be back in mid-May!

When we went to Epcot on 3/15, the parking trams dropped us off to the left of the entrance, and they had a much larger security screening area there than I remember seeing in January. So I'm wondering whether they'll move the security screening area that's been under the monorail down toward the busses, so that folks coming in via monorail, who will have been screened at TTC/MK (I think, based on CMNJ's post), will go directly to the tapstiles, and only the guests arriving by bus will be screened on that side.

Looking forward to reading posts tomorrow - we'll be back in mid-May!
You know you could be right-they actually put in a new screening area that was closer to the monorail in addition to the one that was previously there (off to the left). I used it twice this week when I went to Epcot early in the day. I did not notice it earlier in the week when we went to Epcot in the evening but assumed they used it for the heavy morning crowds. It is closer to the bus area than the original screening area so perhaps you are right and they will somehow cordone off the monorail exit from the bus line. My other question is where will the screening area be for entering the Epcot monorail? Since it terminates in the screened area for MK you presumably would need to be screened there prior to boarding since you board outside the exit.

I know Disney is never slow but to be honest I am surprised they are putting a whole new security measure in place right around spring break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter