• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Security Measures At The Parks

The information being published by many including The Orlando Sentinel is that Disney, at this time, is saying no more costumes for adults at MNSSHP. This could be deal breaker for us.

This could change a million times by September but for now they claim they are saying no more. Also some are trying to get clarification on RunDisney events.

I wonder if they're going to allow adults to wear costumes for MNSSHP. :surfweb:

http://www.chipandco.com/new-security-measures-show-up-at-the-disney-theme-parks-225589/

Every time I hear of someone trying something idiotic - like sneaking a gun into the Magic Kingdom - I think, "And this is why we can't have nice things."

Costumes might be out for us adults, but DisBounding will still be allowed. And we can always still accessorize with fun hats/ears/jewelry/clothing.

I plan to wear a pirate non-costume to the next Halloween party. Pirate ears (or possibly a day-of-the-dead hair clip), anchor-print dress, skull-and-crossbones stockings, tall boots... As long as I don't add plastic weaponry or an eyepatch, it should be fine, since all the elements are just regular clothes. :)

Seeing the pictures of the metal detectors at MK and HS has me a bit worried. The metal detectors do not look permanent and almost "thrown together" and people are reporting the staff working them are not CM staff but a third party. It makes me wonder if there was a security threat and Disney needed to move fast on it.

I heard when Universal installed Metal Detectors it was a seamless overnight move and that is how Disney usually works so this just has me wondering...

"Security theater" continues. In pay years Disney was smart enough to understand comprehensive screening just wasn't possible, not for their setup anyway.Cameras , cell phones, diaper bags, insulin pumps, strollers, wheel chairs....
Alas common sense has finally departed WDW. I think the no costumes for MNSSHP just makes it that much more obvious for those who don't understand screening.

Are these things really large security problems? I didn't realize that teens and adults wearing costumes was a huge security issue.

for us if we can;t wear costumes for the party then their is no reason to pay for the party

I don't think you are alone in feeling that way.

We went to the DL Halloween party this year. They don't even have a Halloween parade. The best part of the event was seeing the family groups all dressed up. There were some VERY creative groups.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder... Weren't people evacuated from Splash Mountain and FrontierLand last week, and there was a show of Lion King that was evacuated after it started. I haven't read any explanations for this... but I wonder if there was some sort of security threat in those locations that led to both the evacuations and this new security screening policy.

I am sure they will have something more ironed out by next September. I think I am glad we decided to go backpack-less on our next trip.

Are these things really large security problems? I didn't realize that teens and adults wearing costumes was a huge security issue.

I am perfectly okay with them enforcing their rule of 14 and older, no costumes ... but ... Halloween Party? Really? The costumes are part of what make it fun, it's the time the older group can wear a costume. The only thing I can imagine is if they think you are sneaking things in under the bulkier costumes. If that is the case I would think long before September they could have a full setup of metal detectors and make everyone do the walk and on those nights have all dogs on duty to sniff the trick or treat gang.

If Disney moves forward with their "no costumes for adults at MNSSHP" (which I think they'll back off on) then they don't understand their target market for those parties.

I don't think it really means they "don't understand their target market," they're making a change for safety's sake. It would be a lot easier for someone to take advantage of wearing elaborate costumes to conceal something sinister. People in street clothes are much easier to check and monitor going into the park and in the park. Some costumes would be fine, others not. So they have to ban them all.

I think they fully understand the target market and are more concerned about safety and avoiding disaster (and PR, of course.)

Disney knows the costume rule will affect party attendance, they're not dumb. They have very likely been advised to do this by law enforcement in every effort to try and keep WDW safe. Law enforcement may prefer adults not be in costume so they can do their jobs better. You don't know.

People say it's all for show, but the last thing WDW wants is an attack or an incident. They're now implementing realistic security measures and I, for one, am thrilled they're doing it. I think adults can sacrifice their costumes to help ensure the safety of others. Trust me, WDW knows they'll lose money on the parties, which should tell you something.

This is the world we live in.

Last edited:
They pulled Buzz Lightyears blasters?! The world has gone mad and people will just accept this as "the world we live in". Not me and nor should anyone else. Taking away toy guns and costumes DOES NOT make us safer, geez people educate yourselves and stop falling in line like sheep.

They also stopped selling toy guns on property starting today. Talked to a cast member manager she said they haven't given a why just told them to pull all of them today at Pirates and it is company wide. Idiotic security theater with little to no reduction in actual risk. People running security have no idea what they are doing in terms of accurately accessing risk

They also stopped selling toy guns on property starting today. Talked to a cast member manager she said they haven't given a why just told them to pull all of them today at Pirates and it is company wide. Idiotic security theater with little to no reduction in actual risk. People running security have no idea what they are doing in terms of accurately accessing risk

It helps law enforcement and security speed at the gates to not have to deal with toy guns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter