New Secret for booking GTY

abridgel

Mouseketeer
We booked a 5E GTY cause we really wanted to try the AFT balcony - we were assigned a 5A - not happy.

Asked out TA what would be the cost to move up to a 4E and it was minor about 160USD for the 4 of us so I can only assume they upgraded us based on us having the 5A room.

So for those of you not happy with your GTY assignment or are looking to upgrade a little bit of inside info.

Super happy we are saving about $400 bucks on the current rate.

Thanks. That could be really helpful in the future. One question, I thought after paid in full, that you couldn't change your room?

I think it is pretty rare to actually be assigned a 5e when doing a GTY - not to say it never happens, but because they are so popular and in such short supply, those of us who try it and gamble usually end up in a 5 a, b, c, or d room.....

Thanks. That could be really helpful in the future. One question, I thought after paid in full, that you couldn't change your room?
If you have a regular cruise fare, and a gty is a regular cruise fare, you can pay to upgrade to another cabin any time after PIF date.

We booked a 5E GTY cause we really wanted to try the AFT balcony - we were assigned a 5A - not happy.

Asked out TA what would be the cost to move up to a 4E and it was minor about 160USD for the 4 of us so I can only assume they upgraded us based on us having the 5A room.

So for those of you not happy with your GTY assignment or are looking to upgrade a little bit of inside info.

Thanks for the info! By chance - do you remember what the 4E was when you booked the cruise? I know if you do upgrade before PIF it's based on the day you booked, not the current rates so just curious if that applies in your case or how much it would have varied.

Thanks,
Heather

I think it is pretty rare to actually be assigned a 5e when doing a GTY - not to say it never happens, but because they are so popular and in such short supply, those of us who try it and gamble usually end up in a 5 a, b, c, or d room.....

That was me so I "upgraded" to a 4E for a smidge more.

Got room 5650 on the Dream hear really nice things about it.

Last year we upgraded from a 8A GTY to a 7A (wanted to try balcony) which was less. DCL refunded us about $35

This recently happened to us. We booked a 5E GTY and were assigned a 5C. Unfortunately, there are no 4Es left on our cruise. Kinda bummed, but I'm sure we'll have an awesome cruise no matter which room we're in! :goodvibes

Last year we upgraded from a 8A GTY to a 7A (wanted to try balcony) which was less. DCL refunded us about $35

GTY rates are standard rates that come out once a category starts to fill up. And because of this, that rate tends to be higher than opening day rates. It is very possible than a category goes up in price, while another category doesn't move.

Also, any upgrades you request from DCL before or after PIF, would result in rates based on your original booking day. This could lead to a lower price for a higher category, or a very small difference.

Hope this helps...

GTY rates are standard rates that come out once a category starts to fill up. And because of this, that rate tends to be higher than opening day rates. It is very possible than a category goes up in price, while another category doesn't move.

Also, any upgrades you request from DCL before or after PIF, would result in rates based on your original booking day. This could lead to a lower price for a higher category, or a very small difference.

Hope this helps...

You beat me too it!!!

MJ

I'll let you know pretty soon if that works or not.

I have a GTY 05E - I just upgraded to the 05E a month or so ago, but they only had GTY left. I cruise in just over 7 weeks. I have all the prices listed in a spreadsheet and basically for me, it's approximately a $55 jump for each category. If they assign me a 05C for example, I'm curious if the jump to 05A or 04E would be $55 for each category above the original 05E or the assigned 05C. Since I have the numbers saved, I will know for sure and it's all based on the numbers that existed on my original booking day.

I'll let you know pretty soon if that works or not.

I have a GTY 05E - I just upgraded to the 05E a month or so ago, but they only had GTY left. I cruise in just over 7 weeks. I have all the prices listed in a spreadsheet and basically for me, it's approximately a $55 jump for each category. If they assign me a 05C for example, I'm curious if the jump to 05A or 04E would be $55 for each category above the original 05E or the assigned 05C. Since I have the numbers saved, I will know for sure and it's all based on the numbers that existed on my original booking day.

If you pay to upgrade, it will be from your booked category, not your assigned category. Your reservation will continue to show you at 5E even if you are assigned a 5C stateroom. Therefore, a requested (paid) upgrade to 5A would be from the original 5E. Now if you upgrade at check-in, as opposed to in advance, those upgrade rates are different -- it will still be based on your booked category but will not be rates from the day you booked.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you pay to upgrade, it will be from your booked category, not your assigned category. Your reservation will continue to show you at 5E even if you are assigned a 5C stateroom. Therefore, a requested (paid) upgrade to 5A would be from the original 5E. Now if you upgrade at check-in, as opposed to in advance, those upgrade rates are different -- it will still be based on your booked category but will not be rates from the day you booked.

Enjoy your cruise!

That is exactly how I would expect it to work, but the OP stated that it worked differently for them, it was based on their assigned category. But since I have all my numbers saved, I will be able to call in and absolutely verify the costs of a potential upgrade.

If I upgrade it again, it WILL be in advance. Not at the port. That's just too much chaos for me on the day of embarkation! :rotfl:

That is exactly how I would expect it to work, but the OP stated that it worked differently for them, it was based on their assigned category. But since I have all my numbers saved, I will be able to call in and absolutely verify the costs of a potential upgrade.

If I upgrade it again, it WILL be in advance. Not at the port. That's just too much chaos for me on the day of embarkation! :rotfl:

I guess I can't test this theory... LOL

We got our room assigned and we stayed at 05E...and I'm thrilled! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter