• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New sandal! Mion Current! CROCS on steroids, w/ arch support! Better than Crocs!

IowaGirl

Mouseketeer
I just had to tell you about this new sandal!!! :cool1:

Comfy tootsies at Disney cannot be undervalued.

I was at a specialty store here in Iowa called Active Endeavors, and they had a shoe that I love.

It is made by a company called Mion (guy who started KEEN, started this company) and they are like the KEEN sandals, but waaaayy better.

The style I tried on was Mion Current, and they are made of a material like the Crocs, but they have a super cushy liner that goes in the shoe that molds to your foot, with a superb arch support. They are designed for super active water activities--maybe whitewater rafting or something. They were like nothing I have ever had on my feet before. I wear a 9 1/2, and the 9 fit me well. The Guy said they run large.

I do not own Crocs, they are not comfy enough for me. I feel like I can feel the ground through them and there is no arch support. I keep trying them on, in different styles, hoping I can figure out why people think they are great.

There is a Mion slide version as well, with no liner, but they were comfy too. Better than the Croc. Molds to your foot with an arch support.

They are pricey. The Current is about $100 but I had a coupon for this store for $20 off. The slide version is about $80

Check it out! www.mionfootwear.com

You can buy them online at Zappos, and the usual shoe suspects!

Glad you found something that works for you.

At over 3 times the cost and, dare I say it, uglier, I'll pass. Crocs are fine for me. I had comfy tooties on our 10 day trip in May. My feet lasted SO much longer than they ever had before. And (I say with much shame) I weigh more than ever before so they should have hurt more, not less! And I'm one of the planter fascitis group - it's hard to find shoes that make it possible to walk far with PF.

Thanks for sharing though! I'm sure there are people who can afford $100 for shoes and will be thrilled with the info!

They do sound good! I am one of the minority who doesn't like Crocs. I prefer Nothinz, which has better arch support, a thicker heal, and a better shape to the toes. They are an Australian company.

IowaGirl Thanks for the info, I adore Keens so I will definately check these puppies out

RockyMtnMaria I'm with you on the crocs, after wearing them around my house for 3 hours or so my knees, hips and lower back were throbbing. Oddly enough my feet were great. A Pox on Crocs :-)
I have never heard of Nothinz so I will be ckecking those also.

Yes, these are ugly, but I would not say uglier than Crocs. I am not a shoe hound, and these are actually among the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever bought. I do not see how this is much more expensive than owning several pairs of real Crocs....
But, these will be my amusement park shoe for years to come. I probably won't wear these out and about much (like my disney only fanny pack!) I also want to conserve them since they will be my best friend in any theme park. I know people rave about the Croc, but the cushion on these shoes was unbelievable. The string on these is not elastic, so it won't stretch out so your shoe gets loose, either. )That is a problem for my son who has a pair of kids Keens)

If your knees, hips, and lower back hurt, then it could easily be that you need a slighly higher heel. Ideally your heal should be higher than the ball of your foot by a half inch or so.

I have arthritis and have yet to find a pair of shoes that don't bother my toes. My Nothinz have come the closest. I have much better luck with sandals, and pretty much rotate between Teva and Ecco for my daily wear.

I bought them at my local sporting goods store, after trying on the Crocs and saying "ugg". The saleslady entheusiastically recommended the Nothinz and said they couldn't keep enough in stock. I paid $25, but see they cost more online. They don't seem very common online yet, but I've seen them in several stores locally. I ended up buying a size larger than I would have in Crocs, just FYI.

And I'm not totally anti Croc. My youngest two children wear them. They were not able to get the Nothinz in their size, and the Crocs are way better than the Airwalks or other immitations I've seen.

TravelinGal said:
Glad you found something that works for you.

At over 3 times the cost and, dare I say it, uglier, I'll pass. Crocs are fine for me. I had comfy tooties on our 10 day trip in May. My feet lasted SO much longer than they ever had before. And (I say with much shame) I weigh more than ever before so they should have hurt more, not less! And I'm one of the planter fascitis group - it's hard to find shoes that make it possible to walk far with PF.

Thanks for sharing though! I'm sure there are people who can afford $100 for shoes and will be thrilled with the info!

I checked out the link to Mion. I think they are a lot nicer to look at than crocs. But, as a croc owner, I can't say I would pay 100 for these. They also need more colors.

IowaGirl said:
I do not see how this is much more expensive than owning several pairs of real Crocs....

In no way am I arguing with you, and I certainly understand you point - but not everyone has multiple pairs of these. I have one pair. It's a shoe I can afford to wear every day and not reserve it just for the theme parks every couple of years.

They're both ugly. LOL I'm used to seeing the Crocs on my feet now, but I still realize they are ugly. :rotfl2:

RockyMtnMaria - I looked at the Nothinz online and they look like another Crocs knock off. Not saying they are bad - they just look the same with diamond holes instead of round ones. I couldn't find any information on them as far as material/support etc. If you have any more information I'd be willing to look at them since they are a few dollars less than Crocs. Where did you find them in stores? (Don't know if you're in CO or not...the Rockies cover a large region - but I'm in metro Denver)

RockyMtnMaria - I looked at the Nothinz online and they look like another Crocs knock off. Not saying they are bad - they just look the same with diamond holes instead of round ones. I couldn't find any information on them as far as material/support etc. If you have any more information I'd be willing to look at them since they are a few dollars less than Crocs. Where did you find them in stores? (Don't know if you're in CO or not...the Rockies cover a large region - but I'm in metro Denver)[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are definitely a Crocs knock off. But they are a nock off that actually does it BETTER! The material is identical. We have both, and I can not tell the difference in the feel of the rubber at all. And I am very sensitive to feel and texture. I'd never wear the Airwalks and the Target brand should go directly in the trash. What won me over to the Nothinz was how much better the contour of the sole was. I like that the heel portion is thicker, and there is more arch support. Plus my second and third toes are as long as my first and the Nothinz had a better shape for me there too.

I am not too far from Denver myself. (I try to not be very specific online.) I purchased mine at Sports Authority. But then I just got another pair when we needed to drive to Fort Collins. There was a shoe store in the mall going out of business. They had Crocs (mostly children's sizes) and Nothinz on sale for about $13!

Another favorite place for me to shoe shop is www.sierratradingpost.com. We've bought several pairs of good quality sandals from them for about what we'd spend at payless. Be sure to check out their Bargain Barn section. Sizes can be limited, but I've lucked out many times. They also have a large warehouse store in Cheyene. And occasionally they do free shipping, plus I always get them within 2-3 days. Oh yeah, I also love checking out Nordstrom Rack in Broomfield. Again it is hit and miss, but the prices are great.

Thanks Maria - I'll check them out when it's time to retire my Crocs! If they're better and less expensive, I'm there! LOL

Thanks for info on these. I don't think they look all that ugly. :sad2: From the website I found a store near me that carries them. I'm going to go tomorrow and try a pair on. I'm one of those people that can't wear Crocs, but I love my Keens. These would be perfect for the summer deluges at Disney. Especially if I'm there when a hurricane passes through!

Ok, I don't know what I am missing but what is the big deal about Crocs? I just had foot surgery and my dr. actually warned me against wearing them, I didn't even know what they were. When I finally looked them up I thought they were the ugliest shoe since Gel (or Jelly) Shoes in the 80's.

I do have to say I like the looks of the Mion ones though!

Question for IowaGirl(Howdy from a neighbor in Cedar Rapids, IA) though.... Can you adjust them like tennis shoe laces??? The only shoe I can wear for the next 9 months is a walking type shoe that can lace up.

Thanks!

Lori

Yes you can adjust the lace. They made an improvement over the Keen that it is not elastic, therefore will not stretch out and make your shoe loose with age. The lace winds through each strap over the top of your foot and it has a pull cord to tighten. Really fits like a tennis shoe.

I still love them!!

RocyMtnMaria----Is the whole sole thicker on the Nothinz than a Croc? It looks like the heel is significantly higher than the toe, is that accurate? My problem with Croc is that they are flat with no arch, no extra heel cushion. I feel like I can feel the ground through them. Are the Nothinz really that different from the Croc?

IowaGirl said:
RocyMtnMaria----Is the whole sole thicker on the Nothinz than a Croc? It looks like the heel is significantly higher than the toe, is that accurate? My problem with Croc is that they are flat with no arch, no extra heel cushion. I feel like I can feel the ground through them. Are the Nothinz really that different from the Croc?
Yes, exactly. That is what made me like them so much better. You described the Nothinz perfectly. It has more padding in the heel, higher than the toes, and a better arch. Plus they are a little flatter at the end of the toes, and not quite as rounded and wide. I simply liked the shape better.

I like the round holes of the Crocs better, and they have a better color selection. (just so I don't seem biased, lol)

And for the record, I bought my first 3 pairs (for me and my oldest 2 children) at Sportsmans Wearhouse, not Sports Authority. Sorry about that! The clearance pair I bought at Overland Trading Post for $13. They are going out of business. Now my husband is wanting a pair as well, but fortunately he can wear the same size as my 10yo son (11's). My youngest two are wearing Crocs since I couldn't find Nothinz in childrens sizes locally.

I also bought a size up, so I don't think they are true to size.

Thanks for the tip on Nuthinz I LOVE my crocs but would like a little extra cushion I am going to check these out!!

You said you bought a smaller size? Where or what store did you buy them at??

TIA! :thumbsup2

mommyceratops said:
Thanks for the tip on Nuthinz I LOVE my crocs but would like a little extra cushion I am going to check these out!!

You said you bought a smaller size? Where or what store did you buy them at??

TIA! :thumbsup2
Nope, I went a size larger than normal, and so did my boys who wear mens sizes. I bought mine at Sportsmans Wearhouse, and Overland Trading Co (going out of business). I also saw them online a couple places, but it added about $10 to the price.

So...Crocs vs. Nothinz...I have flat feet. I've had planters warts before. I stand on my feet all day and by the end of the day I can hardly walk. I also have wide feet. I like extra cushioning at my heal but I also need the room in the front for my wide foot. Which shoe would be better? Or does someone have a different idea?

these look like the Yoshi keens...ugly little suckers :lmao: I'm sure they are comfy though...I tried crocs on for the first time when I was at Sports Authority...oh my those things are so comfy and air conditioned but seriously they are too ugly to bear...I just can't do it. I'd LOVE to, but I can't pay $30 for shoes that look like clown shoes in training! I'll stick with my birks...not all that pretty either but enter the realm of normal looking!

no offense to all you billions of croc lovers out there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter