New rules for compensation on flight delays over 3 hours.

tony64

<font color=blue>Should've been a Cowboy<br><font
There is an EU ruling on compensation for flight delays over 3 hours which can be back dated to 2005.

Compensation is upto £488.00 but is subject to a few conditions.

Have a look on Moneysavingexpert for the latest info.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

We are hoping to get some for the 10 hour delay we had with Monarch a few years back.

Let us know how you go Tony. Thankfully we haven't any delay longer than about 1 hour in recent years.

Fingers crossed Tony, that you get some compensation. We've never really had any long delays, I can't imagine being stuck in the airport for 10 hours, IMO you should be compensated if the problem didn't come under ''extraordinary circumstances''

This is very interesting. Thanks for the info.

I've read through the moneysavingexpert link but can't find where it says you can apply for flights taken from 2005 onwards. Believe it or not, I had three flights on Virgin in 2008 delayed between 4 and 5 hours! It put me off flying with them for a while. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mmmmm.....in December 2008 we were delayed for well over 3 hours returning from Munich to Stansted on EasyJet.......might drop them a line!!!

Mmmmm.....in December 2008 we were delayed for well over 3 hours returning from Munich to Stansted on EasyJet.......might drop them a line!!!

Check out the moneysavingexpert site first there are conditions that may apply.

Thanks. I will check the site carefully before sending my letter off. I can remember one of the flights was delayed due to the pilot being ill but can't remember the other reasons. Shouldn't think we will be able to make a claim but it's worth investigating.

I know we've had a few flights that have been delayed that time period, now I have to try and remember dates etc and have a route through my inbox to see if I can find any evidence!! certainly worth the hassle..;)

When we got married all the family travelled home together and they had a 24 hour delay. (all 30 of them) and 6 of them had 12 hours delay on the way out.

we had this in september, plane had a hydraulic fault and was eventually cancelled 7 hours after we were supposed to take off. the compensation would be dependant on what they class as extraordinary circumstances, ours apparently isnt covered (i even quoted the EU rules) but they did give us a goodwill travel voucher

part of the email they sent us:
While you’ve inquired about compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004, carriers are not required to provide compensation in the event that the carrier performed all necessary maintenance checks and took all steps feasibly viable to prevent a mechanical cancellation or delay. Our records indicate the mechanical issue was unexpected and that the aircraft had undergone all required maintenance and we took all measures appropriate to the situation that were technically and economically viable at the time, and as such no compensation is due under the regulation.

its worth putting an email out, but dont necessarily rely on getting something back as the rules are quite vague on what they have to pay on and what they can get out of

Currently delayed 26 hours & counting - still no guarantee we'll leave tonight Virgin V016 flight!!! so will looking into this closely:thumbsup2

Does being delayed/stranded for 7 days in California due to Ash cloud count :rotfl:

Guess not, was'nt a fault of the airline! Natural disaster!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter