• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New restrictions coming for pool use?

In general, I'm in favor of the idea of keeping pool hoppers out. I think that the pool area "experience" is often ruined at many of the deluxe resorts simply due to the volume of people, many of whom are pool hoppers. SAB is the only deluxe main pool I've ever been to that wasn't always swamped during peak times, and it's also the only one that I've seen that was gated.

I'm torn about the Wilderness Lodge. I've wanted to return there, but I haven't because of the huge crowds I've seen on our brief visits. If they fence it in and the crowds go away, I might stay there again. On the other hand, one of the neatest things about WL is the way the spring/stream turns into the pool. I'm not sure how they can fence the pool in without ruining the effect. Then again, the imagineers specialize in that sort of thing, so hopefully they'll surprise us.

We just returned and the number of people at the Hidden Springs pool was minimal (we were staying at the villas) and sometimes just the four of us were swimming! The other pool was really only "crowded" on Sunday afternoon, which I assume is because so many people were just arriving and not bothering with a half day in the parks. The rest of the afternoons were not very busy (my boys had to wait for maybe 4 kids on average to go down the slide at the busiest times) and basically deserted in the mornings.

Of course if you can only go during July/August, it is probably a much different story, but if you want to try again in the fall/spring, I think you will find it quite pleasant. :)

I don't see how people who don't belong get into the SAB pool. Doesn't someone check everyone going in?

I have mixed feelings about this. We once had a room close to a quiet pool at PORS and just about every night it was full of screaming kids that would stay until 2 or so in the morning. I had never had the problem elsewhere but it was a pest there.

1) I think this is a GREAT idea.
2) Having worked "midnight shift" many times, I saw some bad pool practices.
. . . people swimming-walking-staggering while drunk
. . . people swimming with open containers in the hands
. . . people carelessly fooling around in the pools
. . . people running-tripping-falling on the concrete around the pool
. . . people being so loud they disturbed sleeping guests
3) For safety, and for liability, the pools should be closed.
4) Tough to stop the above when the pools are not fenced and locked.
5) Fortunately, the fences will allow pool closures.

beer dave said:
I was at SAB a couple years ago and was talking to a woman sitting near us by the pool-- she said she lived locally and came with her kids all the time after school. Just park in the lot and head for the pool. We told the towel person, but they did nothing.

My DD has worked around the pools at WDW. While I understand your frustration, a CM will pretty much NEVER approach another 'guest' over something like that based on another guest's comment. There is just too much room for a 'problem'!! I mean really?? What are they supposed to do walk up and say, "excuse me but another guest just told us you told them you are really staying here. Can I see your room key please?" And what happens if they ARE a registered guest??!!! Eek!! That would really annoy some people! And to randomly ask someone, and not everyone else? No, not a good idea!! It is best to just leave it alone the way they did! That is what they have been told to do.

sigh.. no more night swims.

whle we have been bothered by a huge south american soccer group that was extremely loud at 1 am at all star sports, usually night swimmers are quiet.

people like to take their kids after the parks close for a night swim.

the "quiet" pools have never had lifeguards anyway. at least not at the moderate resorts. so peaceful to go for a quiet night swum

again.. sigh

Today's DIS e-mail stated that by early November, all WDW pools will be unavailable outside of their official operating hours. Currently, you can swim "at your own risk" while lifeguards aren't present, but that will no longer be the case. Any pools that don't have fences around them will get them.

The article states that this may be related to the incident a few months ago where a small child drowned while swimming with his family when no lifeguards were present. However, I wonder if it's not related to "pool hoppers" and other problems.

For example, one of Tikiman's rumors a few months ago was that the Poly DVC was going to get a new water feature, possibly a lazy river like Aulani. We all know that non-resort guests abuse WDW pools on a regular basis, and a lazy river would have been a big problem if left uncontrolled. If they fence in the pools & put a magic band scanner at each entrance, Disney can eliminate (or greatly reduce) pool abuses. Some posters here have stated that some pools "cannot" be fenced in due to their sprawling size or design - I'm curious as to whether which pools are "problems", and if anyone has seen signs of fences around any of them yet.
~Ugh... I don't like this *at all*. Fortunately, I've never encountered any of the rudeness a previous poster mentioned at Disney resort pools. Closing the pool early at the Polynesian is no big deal to me, but at AKL it's a huge deal! AKL has a fabulous pool -- much better than the Poly but the resort is somewhat remote -- as a result there's not much else to do at this resort after the parks close -- so the pool is packed well past midnight and it's always been a fun crowd. If Disney follows through with this gate thing our stays at AKL will probably end. :(

Not too happy with this. A post-park dip in the pool is sometimes the only thing that will soothe my aching feet and joints and enable me to do the parks in the morning. Cool baths anyone? Blech!

Although we've never experienced it, I recenlt over heard aquaintances chatting about their upcoming off site trip to Disney. They were looking forward to their Downtown Disney experience topped off with a bus trip to a resort where they use the pool.
I was shocked.:sad1:

Not too happy with this. A post-park dip in the pool is sometimes the only thing that will soothe my aching feet and joints and enable me to do the parks in the morning. Cool baths anyone? Blech!

First:

If you notice...the last 3 pools constructed are fenced and keyed...bay lake, kidani, and art of animation...
This was gonna happen anyway.

Second...some places it will look like crap...mainly Jambo, the poly, old key west, movies, the small pools at the moderates...
Does anybody know if there some type of ground system where the fence could deploy/retract and be hidden during the day?

Third:
Lawyers rule the world (and defense contractors)

For example, one of Tikiman's rumors a few months ago was that the Poly DVC was going to get a new water feature, possibly a lazy river like Aulani. We all know that non-resort guests abuse WDW pools on a regular basis, and a lazy river would have been a big problem if left uncontrolled. If they fence in the pools & put a magic band scanner at each entrance, Disney can eliminate (or greatly reduce) pool abuses. Some posters here have stated that some pools "cannot" be fenced in due to their sprawling size or design - I'm curious as to whether which pools are "problems", and if anyone has seen signs of fences around any of them yet.

I agree that keeping guests safe is part of this decision and that Disney is also solving a problem of guests that are not allowed to pool hop doing so without a way to stop them. However, tikiman in later posts after finding out about the scale back at the poly has stated he does not know if the lazy river and new pool survived the cuts. He is noting that there are pool renovations coming and he has not said if that will include a lazy river or not at this point.

I am curious if this will change the policy of members of DVC being allowed to pool hop or not. I know it would be easy for Disney to set up their magic bands to allow this at the resorts they are allowed to pool hop at. It could also be that Disney has found this not to be a big perk for DVCers and is doing away with it altogether. That would be my only question. Will it still be a DVC perk or will Disney say no pool hopping period.

i am sure the quiet pools will remain open - like Beach Club does. We just stayed there and they are SUPER SRICT about making sure you have a wrist band and the life guards are really strict there in general- i saw a kid get yelled at for having a sippy cup of water in the pool "no drinks"!!!

i saw a family get turned away even though everyone had a wristband except the dad - said he forgot his room key so they wouldnt let him in!

I have also observed patrons enjoying pool areas with their children
That were not guests. What message does this send to their children?

Also heard conversation few years back of people parking at downtown disney (free). Then taking shuttle to park to avoid price of parking at the park. Boasting about knowing 'all the tricks"

Good values being represented to their children. Don'tcha think?

First:

If you notice...the last 3 pools constructed are fenced and keyed...bay lake, kidani, and art of animation...

The small pools at AoA are not fenced, just the big one, which I assume they feared pool-hopping with.

First:

Second...some places it will look like crap...mainly Jambo, the poly, old key west, movies, the small pools at the moderates...
Does anybody know if there some type of ground system where the fence could deploy/retract and be hidden during the day?

)
ITA to me fences around a pool takes away the beauty. makes it look concentration campish.

I am curious if this will change the policy of members of DVC being allowed to pool hop or not. I know it would be easy for Disney to set up their magic bands to allow this at the resorts they are allowed to pool hop at. It could also be that Disney has found this not to be a big perk for DVCers and is doing away with it altogether. That would be my only question. Will it still be a DVC perk or will Disney say no pool hopping period.

one of the reasons we decided against joining. the rules and perks keep changing. there is nothing to stop them from taking away the pool hopping perk.

I have also observed patrons enjoying pool areas with their children
That were not guests. What message does this send to their children?

Also heard conversation few years back of people parking at downtown disney (free). Then taking shuttle to park to avoid price of parking at the park. Boasting about knowing 'all the tricks"

Good values being represented to their children. Don'tcha think?

there aren't any busus from DTD to the parks. they did away with that YEARS ago, due to this reason. people do park at DTD, tkae a bus to a resort, and THEN a park bus, which is a total waste of time .

The small pools at AoA are not fenced, just the big one, which I assume they feared pool-hopping with.

we stayed at AOA in APril all 3 pool have fences around them . even though they are paintedpretty colors, I still didn't like the way they looked. and what a hassle to be holding a bunch of stuff and trying to get the door open!

i am sure the quiet pools will remain open - like Beach Club does. We just stayed there and they are SUPER SRICT about making sure you have a wrist band and the life guards are really strict there in general- i saw a kid get yelled at for having a sippy cup of water in the pool "no drinks"!!!

i saw a family get turned away even though everyone had a wristband except the dad - said he forgot his room key so they wouldnt let him in!

I think we're talking about two different things. In general, I think most people are referring to "quiet pools" as the smaller, out-of-the-way pools that don't have life guards. The main pool at the Beach Club, Stormalong Bay (which has lifeguards and wrist bands), is not considered a "quiet pool".

I never saw Stormalong Bay before the fence went up. However, I think SAB looks fine. I can only remember one part of it that looked obviously "fenced" - most of the fenced-in area looked pretty natural, and was composed of (or lined by) shrubs and such. There is already a lot of landscaping around the area, so it looks to me like they just took advantage of the features that the pool area already had.

Having seen the three quiet pools in the Yacht Club / Beach Club area, I really don't see how they could fence those in without it looking really bad. The BCV quiet pool, for example, is in the middle of a courtyard. You can see into the pool area from all sides, especially from the rooms around it. Any fence around the pool will be extremely obvious, because there's no landscape for the fence to blend into.

It looks like SAB was more of a challenge in terms of making the fence blend in with the rest of the resort - no one necessarily NEEDS to cross the SAB complex.

Wilderness Lodge is going to present an entirely different problem. I think the pool here is a big draw for "freeloaders" - they take the quick ferry from MK, gasp at the incredible lobby, maybe even have dinner at Whispering Canyon, and allow their kids to go for a swim - even though they're not staying there.

Here's a photo of the pool, and why I think building a fence will be a problem:

92413WildernessLodge_zps20632d6f.jpg

First of all, the stream from the lobby (at the lower left corner of the image) crosses a footbridge over the stream. The waterslides are just after this, & then the bar and seating area. You can't possibly put a fence between the seating area and the pool - so maybe they put a gate right after the bridge, but before the slides. There's another pool access area just past that, which would also need to be gated or blocked off.

In this photo, the two gates/fences would have to be near the green-striped boxes (towel trolleys?):
courtyard-view-with-waterfall.jpg

Either way, both paying guests and freeloaders wouldn't be able to stroll along the stream towards the pool, which would certainly put a damper on the whole feel of the place.

But there's an even bigger problem. As you can see from the satellite image, the boardwalk to the geyser starts right AFTER the pool area. If you don't let people walk from the stream to the pool area, then they can't get to the geyser either. And that boardwalk leads to the dock. Are they really going to make EVERYBODY scan their Magic Bands just to cross over the bridge, walk through the pool area, exit a gate at the pool area, and THEN walk past the geyser to the dock? That would be extremely annoying and time-consuming for everybody.

The only way around this that I can see would be to build an entirely new section of boardwalk that bypasses the pool, & then attaches to the existing boardwalk somewhere near the geyser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter