• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Reservations Cancellation Policy

I don't make a lot of ADR's in advance, so the new policy isn't as much of an issue for me. I do hope they get the app updated to accept cc holds though, as I do like to check availability when I arrive at a park for the day, using my wifi device and booking last minute.

We won't really know whether it works out better for walk ups or is more efficient for seating until it actually starts, so there isn't much use getting stressed about it now. I haven't seen a lot of complaints as they were testing it, so it may not be so bad.

As to whether Disney is forcing you to plan every moment of your trip, I don't think so. They are giving you the opportunity to plan, but I've been a non planner for years and I still have great WDW trips. I generally don't know what park I'm going to until I get to the bus stop and see what bus comes first. It probably helps that I'm not a thrill ride fan, so I don't care about multiple rides on SM or RNR. But I always see the attractions I want to and seldom even have to use FP.

It's hard to get used to change sometimes . . .

I'm on the fence -

I fully support this for things like 'Ohana, the Wishes Dessert Party or Sci-Fi diner...which have phenomenal reservation problems.

But my last trip was 3 days/2 nights long (2 half days, one full day) and I setup a reservation for the Afternoon Tea Party at 4:30pm at the Grand Floridian during the full day just in case it rained on a particular day and we couldn't swim at the pool (which was the original plan). It was very much a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I wasn't going to have downtime if it rained.

Now I cancelled that reservation at 11am as soon as I realized the weather was going to be fine... But now I'm going to be penalized?

Actually you cannot do this anymore. The system will not allow overlapping ADR's anymore.

Sure you can. All you need is more than one telephone number and e-mail address, and I'm sure plenty of people are still doing it. Now they just have to decide the day before rather than the morning of which reservations to keep, or secure their reservations with a card that will not allow the no-show charge to process.

And actually, the current system favors that behaviour in a way - cancellation is very simple from the app or the automated line, while those of us who don't want to risk cancellation fees will be stuck with WDW-DINE as our only option for making ADRs when we know where we want to be because the app will be useless for booking once the CC hold expands to all restaurants. That was one of my favorite improvements on my last two trips - hopping on the app while in line for an attraction to see what was available nearby on days I didn't have ADRs. But the app doesn't handle reservations that need a credit card and even if it did I'd be skeptical of the security of such a transaction, so that functionality pretty much dies with this policy change.

This policy is going to HELP with walk up availability. The restaurant knows how many people will be coming between different time periods, so they know how many tables they will need for those people WITH ADR's. When someone comes up and wants a walk up they see that they need to make sure the have say 20 tables for ADR's and they have to have those tables set aside. But lets say 5 people do not show up to their reservation, that is 5 tables in that time period they could have filled with walk ups. If anything this is going to help with that.

This started out as a really entertaining thread, but I stopped reading after about 10 pages.

The thing I wanted to comment on is about how non-Disney restaurants don't make you wait when you have a reservation. That is NOT true! I almost always have to wait whether I made a reservation weeks in advance or did "call ahead" seating an hour before. The only time I don't have to wait is when the reservation was unnecessary in the first place because they are not busy.

I really don't think Disney needs to do this, but it did remind me of something a friend said. He worked as a waiter at the Cheesecake Factory and said waits were always inflated so that customers would be hungrier by the time they were seated and order more food.

I wish you wouldn't have deleted it. Because I honestly don't understand this mentality.

How can asking someone to actually keep an appointment/reservation that YOU made, be that much of an inconvenience to you, that you will no longer vacation at Disney?? I really don't understand it. Do you typically cancel the one reservation that you do make at the last minute?
It's more about process and priority over a $10 fee.

For starters, as a disclaimer, or just to prove a point or something, over the past 4 trips (yearly, 2009-2012) I have missed 2 whole ADRs. One due to underestimating the trip (2009) and one due to popping a migraine in the afternoon. This is out of at least 40 ADRs over that timeframe (and likely more, since I did 12-15 per trip in 2010-2011). So, it's not so much for me, persay.

The few issues I have with it are:
  • No options for those without CCs, or those not wanting to put a CC down for every reservation (which, under the previous policy, there was an outlet)
  • No flexibility for medium-notice (day of, several hours earlier) cancellations. With staffing likely done at least several days ahead of time, the "day before" system and a 2-3 hour system are identical with regards to potential staffing adjustments.
  • More points of contact between a CC and Disney's not so great system. We've heard many reports of people being charged even though they showed up. Before, this was preventable by simply not booking CC-held restaurants, and now that is not the case unless you want to stick to CS.
  • It's a sledgehammer vs ant thing. Many of the restaurants simply did not need this policy as walk-ups were available no matter what. They were not turning away walk-ups and late ADRs (potential revenue) because they're system looked full. This only occurs at the high demand locations (which, conveniently enough, are usually able to fill with walk-ups, thus giving them double revenue...)
  • The expectations of punctuality are totally one-sided. There is no guarantee of us being sat on time, even though we're guaranteeing to Disney that we'll show up on time. If this cc-hold came with a Disney-side guarantee of at most 15mins after our ADR time (or check-in, whichever is later), it would go a lot smoother with me.
  • I'm getting burnt out on WDW I think, so the recent changes having a negative effect on the enjoyment of my vacations is having a cumulative effect (note, the ADR changes are only part of it). I'm getting less value for an increased cost. It's getting to its tipping point. Again, this last point goes beyond these changes and touches several other points, so it's not really the ADR system causing my desire to visit in 2014 to sour, but it's part of it.
What I feel when I see this is money-grab, plain and simple. It's along the same lines of the $5 MK surcharge (artificial increase of revenue), the monorail hours being cut (reduced maintenance needs allowing costs to be cut), and the constant, greater than inflation price increases we've been seeing over the past several years. All of that, plus my own potential burn-out, is making Disney not as enjoyable a place to visit.

Next year, I'm thinking DLR for a change, and then maybe some National Parks out west. Change is always good and better to visit those parks (some of them again) before they're gone.

The problem is two-fold: First, there's the need to make all those appointments/reservations in the first place (which is now also expanding to headliner rides). My concept of a great vacation doesn't involve a ton of counter service, nor does it involve the need to set reminders on my phone for every scheduled ride time and meal.

And now, in addition to all those appointment times to keep, the ones for meals have no flexibility to change or roll with whatever might happen during the day, no ability to say "Sure, honey, if you want to see the castle today we'll go to the Magic Kingdom instead of Epcot" or "You're right, it is really hot. Let's head back to the resort for a swim". It doesn't happen often, but I like having that option. We now have to choose - do we want to be able to relax on vacation even though it means settling for counter service, or do we want to coordinate our travel plans around a rigid appointment schedule in order to enjoy decent meals?
This too.

Sure you can. All you need is more than one telephone number and e-mail address, and I'm sure plenty of people are still doing it. Now they just have to decide the day before rather than the morning of which reservations to keep, or secure their reservations with a card that will not allow the no-show charge to process.

And actually, the current system favors that behaviour in a way - cancellation is very simple from the app or the automated line, while those of us who don't want to risk cancellation fees will be stuck with WDW-DINE as our only option for making ADRs when we know where we want to be because the app will be useless for booking once the CC hold expands to all restaurants. That was one of my favorite improvements on my last two trips - hopping on the app while in line for an attraction to see what was available nearby on days I didn't have ADRs. But the app doesn't handle reservations that need a credit card and even if it did I'd be skeptical of the security of such a transaction, so that functionality pretty much dies with this policy change.

I am hoping they will upgrade the system so that if you already have a credit card on file with MDE (if you have already been using a cc for ADRs) - the app should be able to recognize that when you sign in and if you allow it, book dinner on your smart phone app while linking to the cc on file in the system - thus not requiring you to type any cc information into your phone.

On our recent trip in early September, i also liked the ability to book ADRs from my phone a few hours ahead of time, but if I have to call I won't so it. For example, if I am on Disney transportation (bus, monorail, boat), I can look at and book ADRs without bothering anyone around me, but if I have to call then I will bother everyone else and would have to say my credit card number out loud and so I wont call for both of those reasons.

First of all, thank you SO MUCH for this information, Cheshire Figment! I didn't know about it, but it does help with our possible upcoming trip in the spring.

Our last trip (15 nights off site in a condo) was in August, and the kids and I didn't feel like doing any table service meals at all (and didn't do any). When it's hot out, we just like to grab something, and often two of us (who are light eaters, or prefer to snack more often) will share a counter service meal.

We have found in years past, that if we call midday, and just ask what is available for dinner that night, there is always SOMETHING open. It has gotten us to try new places too! Like one day by the pool we called, and Bistro de Paris (not the same now I know) was open that evening. It was a wonderful meal (and really expensive, but we had such a great time!!!). So for that case, someone who is flexible but decided to see if something is open that day, this may actually be good as more may be available last minute. I agree with the previous comments that it can otherwise become too regimented of a vacation - like a cruise almost. Not the way we roll at all!!

I do see Disney's point: so many people were no shows. It messes things up terribly. With so many on the dining plan, those folks NEED to get their reservations in or their prepaid meals would go to waste. So I do understand this, just don't care too much for it.

For us, if we do go back, we would not make any reservations at all. I just never know what we'll feel like at any given day. Also we tend to eat lunch out but I like to eat in the condo for dinner sometimes.

I for one am not happy with this change. I don't mind putting my credit card down and even being penalized for being a no-show, but if I don't cancel more than 24 hours beforehand to still get charged, well I think that is pretty poor to be honest. When I go next year my son will be 3.5 and I have no idea how he will feel from one day to the next. If he is burnt out one day, what am I supposed to do? Force him to go, or pay the penalty?

Last time I went I was 13 weeks pregnant and I had a loads of TS ADR's booked. Unfortunately sickness prevailed and I had to cancel a lot of reservations on the day, some only a couple of hours beforehand. There was no way I would have known if I would have felt up to it 24 hours in advance. Some days I just couldn't face eating and the next day I was ravenous and would have quite happily eaten 3 TS in a day!

I would like to think that the charge would be at the discretion of Disney and unless you just plain didn't show, then it would be judged on an individual basis. I am staying at WDW for 16 nights and hope to have 16 TS booked at night and the occasional breakfast or lunch for some of my favourites and it does concern me how much notice I now may have to give if I want to cancel.

We have been going to Disney for over 20 years - first with our children and then with our grandchildren. In all those years, we have never not showed up for a reservation. Only one time, did my DH get sick and we simply left him at the resort and everybody else went to dinner. We never had children that were simply too tired to go to dinner.

Ehhh no. My money talks and the more we pay the more credit we get.
This has nothing to do with the restaurants but whit our wishes.

Did you really just say "my money talks"?! Wow, you're a peach.
Too bad all "your money" couldn't teach you how to spell.

When I lived in New York and traveled to WDW, we always made dining reservations in advance. We typically dine signature, but also do TS in the parks. Now, I live here and I'm not really pre-planning Disney meals unless it's a special occasion.

So, looking at it from both perspectives, I am IN LOVE with this new policy. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to call in the afternoon to get a dinner reservation anywhere on property, only to be told everything is booked. I'll take my chances and drive over and half the restaurant will be empty. It's insane. And, coming from NY previously, booking 180 days out, sometimes not getting what I wanted because it was booked, and then arriving for my reservation only to find half the tables empty. It's wrong. And, something has to be done - for the guests who are trying to have a decent meal, and for Disney, who is seeing tables sitting empty.

First, you have lots of people who make reservations at resorts located next to parks (Poly, Cont, BC, YC, BW, etc.) so they can avoid the parking fee at the theme park and to get prime access to the parks. Then, they leave their cars there all day and take a table away from someone else who would want it.

Second, people play the odds - they don't know where they'll be, so they make multiple reservations.

This is not a hardship. We plan plane tickets, theatre tickets, hotel arrival dates - why should dining be any different? You need to be there or you forfeit. Period.

If a flight is delayed or a ride gets stuck, there should be some system in place (maybe going to guest services with your plane ticket and flight arrival time - or a pass from the castmember at the attraction) to get a credit. But, really, you're in the parks, get yourself to the restaurant or don't make a reservation. Would you make a doctor appointment and then say, "Well, I'd rather go to Target instead," or "Its a long walk in the rain to get to their office from my car, so I'll skip it?"

An appointment is an appointment. Don't be late for a very important date!!

The dollar amount is perfect - enough to make it hurt a little, but not so over the top that people are going to the poorhouse.

I really don't see the big deal. And, I personally think those who complain the most are the ones who are probably most flippant about their reservations in the first place.

Well said!

It's like this: if you bought tickets to a concert or sporting event, then couldn't make it for whatever reason, you would not receive a refund. Dining at Disney's TS restaurants is similar, it's an event not just a meal, and your reservation at said event is keeping that spot from someone else.
I think it's funny when people feel that Disney should make an exception for their special circumstance...Disney deals with MILLIONS of guests every year, you are not more special than anyone else and therefore should not receive special treatment (I am of course referring to a generic "you").

And, I personally think those who complain the most are the ones who are probably most flippant about their reservations in the first place.

I'm seeing this as well LOL. Everyone complaining also makes statements like, "I don't like to be too rigid", "I like to be flexible", "I don't want someone telling me how to vacation" (my personal fave....um no one is telling you how to vacation).

I don't think its a terribly unfair policy. But everything Disney is doing right now is geared towards getting everyone to plan every minute. Give them free dining. Then make everyone have ADRs or they can't get in. Get them to plan months in advance exactly where they'll be at every second. Magic bands, ADRs, FP plus. It's taking a lot of the fun and spontaneity out.

I agree 100%

There are other, easier ways to double book/no show without wasting time on the phone or incurring penalties. I suspect those who want to continue to double book will figure them out quickly enough, and will continue on more or less undaunted while the rest of us are inconvenienced.
That is a system issue that should be easily corrected. As is eliminating double bookings in general, but instead of WDW doing that, they are going to take the draconian measure of charging families a $10pp fee at a theme park if they don't cancel the day before – ridiculous IMO.

They could have taken the right route but instead decided on the revenue generating fee, nice.

What is going to happen when exceptions are no longer made for people who have legitimate reasons because too many people took advantage?

I don't see how anyone can think this is an acceptable solution, sorry.

See earlier post...

I think it is a great policy and about time Disney implemented it.
I agree with previous posters, this type of intervention is the direct result of abuse of the system by many, many people.
Even here there are those still claiming they have a right to cancel last minute (or no show) becaue "they changed their mind". They don't see anything wrong with this attitude.

Exactly. The only way to keep people from not showing up to ADRs is to make it hurt a little in their pocketbook. Not a huge amount, but enough to be a bit painful. If you don't want to risk losing the fee, then don't make ADRs. You don't have to. We have made many trips to WDW with no ADRs, or only one booked beforehand. And we didn't starve, and we didn't eat all counter service food.

I would love it if Disney could come up with a fool proof way to stop double bookings in addition to having the no show fee.

I am not a fan of this policy. If you are a no show and don't make an effort to call the restaurant to tell them you need to cancel.... Fair enough.

I don't think it is right to charge in all cases and a degree of discretion should be applied.

If you were to cancel a dinner reservation in the morning due to illness in the party I don't think it is right.

Disney will have time and will be able to use your reservation space.

Common sense needs to be applied... The right to charge and actually doing it are very different options.

To me having to tell my kid to suck it up in order to head to an expensive meal we don't really want at that moment isn't my idea of a fun holiday. Dr's appts, family holiday dinners, school appts--these things need to be sucked up. Dinner on vacation. Not so much. Disney is turning vacation time into a regimented proposition. In my daily life I have to be places at an appointed time. On holiday I'd like the freedom to cancel. At the last minute if need be.

My kids have never had a problem "sucking it up." Once there they enjoy themselves. Honestly we only had one time that there was a minor meltdown before lunch and by the time lunch came around she was perfectly fine and having fun. My kids also understand it's not just their vacation. Some ADRs are made because either myself or someone else really wanted to go to this place.

It doesn't have to be regimented. Don't make ADRs then. Make your must dos and wing it the rest of the time. Do same day ADRs, walk ups, more CS. Next trip will be 10 days and only 5 ADRs. We will be spontaneous the rest of the trip.

I agree that most of the ones complaining are the ones who cancel often. They make the ADR "just in case" and when the time comes if they aren't up to it they cancel.

Everyone who has a problem with this policy seems to use the excuses of "Out of control kids", and "Vomiting and sickness."

I have to tell you, if my kids were very frequently unable to act well enough to be taken out to a restaurant I wouldn't even be MAKING these reservations.

If I were sick so frequently that I don't feel I can plan anything in advance, I wouldn't be making ADR's in that situation either.

For most kids, well my kids anyway, the kids acting so horribly they can't be taken out to eat was maybe a once in a lifetime thing. We took 15 WDW trips while the kids were little and we never missed a meal because they couldn't be taken out in public.

I can see maybe folks don't like pulling out their CC to make all these ADR's, it's just the reasons for it I'm having a tough time believing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter