New poster DVC question about final year of points

Andrea2913

Earning My Ears
I have been considering a resale DVC purchase recently and have been reading through old posts to learn what I can before taking action. I have also looked at some cost calculators which have confused me about when the last year of points is to occur. I'd like to make sure I am fully understanding the spreadsheet I am using to compare listings. A recent post on membership expiration brought a couple specific questions to mind. Now I understand and can appreciate that many of us, myself included may not be around or at least may not be able bodied/ minded enough to use every last point on a contract. BUT, to satisfy my mental curiousity I am wondering if those in the DVC know out there could answer the following for a newbie like me:

For sake of an example can we assume a BLT contract with a Dec UY and no hypothetical extensions beyond the 2060 expiration date.

1) on what date would you get the last set of annual points?

2) when would the final bill for annual mf be due?

3) what would be the absolute deadline for latest possible travel to conclude if you chose to wait until the end to use these final year points?

Thanks all.

i don't think anyone really knows for sure.

presumably, dec 1, 2059 would be your last set of pts...leaving you 2 months of possible usage before they expire on jan 31, 2060. the last date for a stay would be jan 31, 2060 - as on feb 1, 2060, disney will own BLT and you will own nothing.

i suppose that 2059 would be the last year for annual dues, although a prorated amount of one month's dues for 2060 is also possible.

it's been surmised (especially for the 2042 resorts, as there are a number of them) that DVC will suspend banking and borrowing at the end, as everyone will most likely be borrowing to use during the last full year rather than squeezing in a reservation in dec/jan. possibly DVC may offer alternatives to usage in the last couple of years to manage demand as demand for reservations outstrips available supply of rooms.

BLT owners will get a better idea of what to expect by watching what happens to the 2042 owners...

Thanks Charles.

Your response sort of explains why I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere on the Internet.:confused3

Andrea

I have been considering a resale DVC purchase recently and have been reading through old posts to learn what I can before taking action. I have also looked at some cost calculators which have confused me about when the last year of points is to occur. I'd like to make sure I am fully understanding the spreadsheet I am using to compare listings. A recent post on membership expiration brought a couple specific questions to mind. Now I understand and can appreciate that many of us, myself included may not be around or at least may not be able bodied/ minded enough to use every last point on a contract. BUT, to satisfy my mental curiousity I am wondering if those in the DVC know out there could answer the following for a newbie like me:

For sake of an example can we assume a BLT contract with a Dec UY and no hypothetical extensions beyond the 2060 expiration date.

1) on what date would you get the last set of annual points?

2) when would the final bill for annual mf be due?

3) what would be the absolute deadline for latest possible travel to conclude if you chose to wait until the end to use these final year points?

Thanks all.

Boy you really are a planner. :goodvibes

I wonder how many people will keep their ownership full term? Will Disney offer some type of buy back program or extension?

Who will own Disney in 2060?

:earsboy: Bill

A few years back DVC offered Old Key West owners the option to extend their contracts to 2057. I'm not sure of the breakdown of owners as to who took it and who didn't.

I own at VWL and keep hoping Disney will offer us the same extension offered to OKW owners because I will certainly do it. However at the time they had just opened Satatoga with an end date of 2057 and the rumors abounded that they were going to try to get all properties to expire on the same date by offering extensions. With the addition of more and more DVCs with varying contract end dates I don't know what they'll do - but I'm still hoping.:confused3

A few years back DVC offered Old Key West owners the option to extend their contracts to 2057. I'm not sure of the breakdown of owners as to who took it and who didn't.

I own at VWL and keep hoping Disney will offer us the same extension offered to OKW owners because I will certainly do it. However at the time they had just opened Satatoga with an end date of 2057 and the rumors abounded that they were going to try to get all properties to expire on the same date by offering extensions. With the addition of more and more DVCs with varying contract end dates I don't know what they'll do - but I'm still hoping.:confused3

Can anyone tell me what the price point was? I'm curious to know how much extra it was and how long they had to make a decision on it.

Can anyone tell me what the price point was?

$25 per pt. that amount was discounted down to $15 per pt if we acted quickly.

still seemed like a lot for pts that wouldn't show up for 30+ years, so most OKW owners (including me) passed on the extension.

there were some fine lines on the legal side as well, with a few owners taking issue with the fine print on the contracts and demanding a free extension...so a few owners are holding out to see if disney really wants to go to court over it. (another reason i don't expect to see another extension any time soon.)

one other issue with extending other DVC resorts was that OKW is a standalone resort. VWL, BCV and BWV are not - in order for DVC to extend them, they would need to get approval from the hotel side (WL/BC-YC/BWI)...so it would be necessarily more complicated. if disney hotels decided to change WL into an asian-themed resort, for example, that would impact what DVC can do with VWL...

We passed, too, on the extension. We wouldn't even use those points until 2042 and I'll be 92 a few months after jan 31, 2042. If I live that long. I'd rather use my money now instead of give it over to someone else, probably DVC when you look at the thread about projected member fees.

I think your final dues will be paid in January 2059 with nothing due in Jan 2060 because there won't be any 2060 points. So you'll want to borrow those 2059 points into you Dec 2058 UY. ;)

"Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago. "

Love your signature.

Agree with the first 2 lines wholeheartedly.
Am still drinking the Kool-aid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter