• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Pirates is open with the Red Head replaced with REDD" the lady pirate.

Disneyland 1951

Mouseketeer
The line for Pirates was very long when it opened in mid morning. By 4:00 the line was about 45 minutes. The other areas of the park were not as crowded.

REDD the Pirate was out wondering around, but did not attract any crowd. 6-8 people at a time as few knew who she is. She has a slight Irish accent, and was only interested in bartering for "Loot".

Wow! Is the resolution better? That's been a problem for awhile. I'll be at the park on Sunday, so I look forward to seeing it firsthand.

haha, it’s like a guy sitting there with the octopus. idk what it’s from honestly.

haha, it’s like a guy sitting there with the octopus. idk what it’s from honestly.
I heard it’s something from the original ride that had been taken out at some point?

This may be a lie; I heard it from a CM. :confused3

But it’s not fog; it’s animatronics.

Here is a ride-through video from The DIS’s YouTube page:

In the video, there’s no more mist screen. I was hoping maybe the effect was just down as that often happens, but according to the following article, the Davy Jones mist screen is no more.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/disneylands-pirates-of-the-caribbean-reopens-with-new-scenes/

I’m bummed they removed the mist effect. My son thought it was pretty cool. According the the above article, the animatronics are brand-new, but the audio track is original, featuring the voice of Paul Frees.

I’m not sad the fog screen is gone. Dang thing ALWAYs dripped on me. Even when you know it’s coming that drip down the back of your shirt gives you the shivers! lol

I've watched several ride through videos of the updated POC. I am actually pleased by several things. The lighting in the grotto looks gorgeous once you are down the falls. Then as you depart the grotto and head toward the battle scene, it's wonderful to return to the dark caverns of yore and hear the original soundtrack with Paul Frees. I've been riding POC since it opened and have never much liked the intrusion of the modern day actors into the ride's story line. So just fine with me to have the mist screen removed as it returns to a spooky dark feeling before opening up into the battle scene. As for the skeleton pirate which turns into a full flesh pirate with octo-pal, I'll have to see that in person. Looks a little odd on video but may be better live. And finally, Redd, is not as bad as I thought. Yes the dialogue about auctioning chickens is stupid (they are pirates, not farmers!), but the animatronic of Redd is good, her movements, costuming etc. Looking forward to seeing it all next month.

Is the music in the battle scene (cannons from the ship) different? It used to be Medallion Call, but from the videos I've watched it sounds different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter