• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

New pickle Im in..question re connecting flights

petunia

DIS Veteran
I broke today and bought flights out of BUF today for next weekend..the good news is we are not driving, however, the flight there is a connection at JFK, and we only have 45 minutes to connect, and we have always flown direct..will we make the connecting flight? I mean, do they sell flights that you cant connect to in time?

When I have a tight connection I make sure I tell EVERYONE I can, I tell the ticketing agent, I tell the agent who takes my ticket as I board and I tell the flight attendants. Usually they will help me get to the front of the plane or seat me there, so I can exit asap after landing. Also, this wont happen but just in case pack anything important plus a change of clothes/bathing suit in your carry on, just in case you make the connection but your luggage comes a day later-it has happened to me!

It's probably a legal connection. Is your second flight the last one of the day? If it is you might have a big problem if you miss it. I'd start looking at the status of these flights to get some idea of which gates they typically use so you can get a feel for how far you'll have to hike to catch the next flight as well as whether they're usually early or late. I've had 35 minutes to go clear across the airport and then had 2 hours to go to the very next gate. You just never know.

Oh gosh, is there such thing as an illegal connection? It is early am. I called today and they didnt know gate numbers yet. Do we have to clear any customs or security again? Or, does that depend upon gates? I have already told the kids there will be no time for washrooms..

You will clear Customs at the border, on the way to Buffalo. Connecting passengers normally do not have to leave the secure area to reach their next flight. Have a look at the airport map to see which gates your airline are normally assigned, to give you an idea of what you may be in for.

I'm flying to LA with a connection in San Francisco. I have 45 minutes to change terminals!! But a quick look at the airport map showed me that it won't be as bad as I feared. Good luck.

I wouldnt worry about it, it is not like it is the winter where weather would delay the first flight and good idea to tell the kids no bathroom breaks. What airline is it? You could check and see what gates at JFK the airline usually uses and kind of tentatively map it to ease your mind, I suspect it will be very close or at least not too far, you may be exiting at one gate and walking 100 feet to the next one. Dont worry, you are going to Disney!!!!

You don't say who you are flying but since you are hitting JFK I am going to assume you are using Jetblue. Jetblue is located in T5. It is a big terminal, but all you really need to do is change gates which if you end up at the opposite ends of one of the three spikes it takes maybe 5-10 min. The terminal itself it bright and clean and has a ton of options for doing things.

Oh gosh, is there such thing as an illegal connection?

"Legal" as in within the times the airline (through their policies) deems to be reasonable for a connection. Check the status of those same flights for yesterday, and today and do the same each day until you go. Note the gates used. Any consistency? I'd at least try to see what the worst and best case scenarios might be. Keep in mind that flights typically begin boarding 30 mins before departure. 45 mins doesn't give you a lot to work with but it can be done.

Just for my own curiosity I checked out Jetblue's site. If it is Jetblue you're flying with, their morning flights connecting in JFK don't look too bad. You may be only a few gates apart for your flights. Hopefully, everything will run on time on your travel day. Have a great time!

Don't worry. 45 min will be OK but there will be no time to spare. Everyone has given you great advise.

Have a great trip!

I'm in the same boat only instead of flying into JFK I am flying in LGA. We are flying with Delta and I think we have an hour and five minutes between flights. I don't think we are first flight out of BUF but we leave at 7am. We have only been to LGA once before when we did a quick trip to NYC, not at all familiar with it but I posted a thread and everyone seems to think we will be okay so fingers crossed!

I guess its the price we pay for a decent price..and if we make it its better than a 10 hr layover lol

I wouldnt worry about it, it is not like it is the winter where weather would delay the first flight and good idea to tell the kids no bathroom breaks. What airline is it? You could check and see what gates at JFK the airline usually uses and kind of tentatively map it to ease your mind, I suspect it will be very close or at least not too far, you may be exiting at one gate and walking 100 feet to the next one. Dont worry, you are going to Disney!!!!

Unfortunately, JFK has many weather related delays in the summer due to thunderstorms. Also, one runway will be closed all summer for repair, which will make any delays worse. OP should make it, but don't be surprised with any delays.

I had a flight with two connections. The first one was only 35 min and 5 people on my initial flight missed it as the first flight left 20 min late. The airline had already assigned everyone new connecting flights by the time we landed. So don't poke around when you get there but don't panic like I did if your flight leaves late especially since you have an early morning flight.

For an important trip it is a good idea to find out the connection time and try not to book flights with short connection time.

I personally want connection time of at least 90 minutes.

Explore and examine hand picked itineraries in addition to the itineraries the airline suggests.

If you miss a connection going out you should get a printout of the rest of your itinerary including the return flights to be sure nothing got lost in the shuffle of rescheduling.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter