New Parking Structure/Pedestrian Bridge Question

OK, first off, I am a bit limited, as I just had surgery for Colon Cancer (all went well). Just too many cords on my hands.

Yes, the meeting was on 12/12.

The commissioner later back steps, as a staff member stated that the crossing will remain for a couple of years (Aka until the bridge opens). Then stated that in weasel words that it is unknown what will happen, as it is not part of the Zoning Request. (The city will have the final say, and right now they want to remove it as part of an overhaul of Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim to improve traffic flow). Aka the city doesn't want to talk about until Disney gets it approval.

That said, Disney has stated there will be a limited (aka small) security check on the west side of Harbor, but for those coming from Hotel Menage (soon to be Four Points) and those crossing at Manchester (aka HoJo's). (aka the plan Disney is planning has the crosswalk at Park Vue Inn/BWPPPI&MS will be removed).

So no crosswalk from Disney Way to near the CM area (Harbor Pointe) on the West Side, basically to force people over to the new bridge entrance.

The Hotel and Restaurant Owners are making a lot of noise due to the fact the plans have it being removed, even though Disney and the city doesn't want to come out and directly state it will be gone. Since Disney wants to make a big Marketing announcement in a copy of years for the DCA expansion, they are keeping it quiet on purpose.

Prayers for a full recovery. So glad all went well with your surgery.

I really appreciate all the information you provide here.

And a personal note, at around 11:30 PM last night, I let one rip... Wasn't the loudest, or smelliest one I ever passed, but it wasn't a small toot either... So here I am waiting in my Hospital room for the Doctors to wake up, get my blood drawn, and results back so they can hopefully start phase 2, which includes being able to start eating some things, and getting other test procedures done so I can make my next goal, taking a dump..... Which will allow me to become an out patient, and gain my freedom back !

Thanks to all who have sent warm wishes and prayers!

And a personal note, at around 11:30 PM last night, I let one rip... Wasn't the loudest, or smelliest one I ever passed, but it wasn't a small toot either... So here I am waiting in my Hospital room for the Doctors to wake up, get my blood drawn, and results back so they can hopefully start phase 2, which includes being able to start eating some things, and getting other test procedures done so I can make my next goal, taking a dump..... Which will allow me to become an out patient, and gain my freedom back !

Thanks to all who have sent warm wishes and prayers!
As a dietitian, I totally understand & appreciate your attitude. My mom had stage 2 colon cancer surgery 1 1/2 years ago, all good so far. Best of luck to you. And hope the doctors let you eat ASAP

As a dietitian, I totally understand & appreciate your attitude. My mom had stage 2 colon cancer surgery 1 1/2 years ago, all good so far. Best of luck to you. And hope the doctors let you eat ASAP

This morning, bloodwork drawn, stats taken, got a change of that exciting gown and a chance to wipe off, and now, wait for the surgeon on call to show up and make the needed things, including the change of diet orders, but until the blood work is finished and levels reported, here I sit, sucking on Ice Chips....

Such is life :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Darkbeer1!

Thank you, all is going very well, had my first "regular" meal in a week this morning, and should be sent home tomorrow :) So looks like they found it early, and removed it, so very lucky.

So once again, thanks to all who have sent best/wishes/prayers, or at least not to use my image as a dartboard for a week ;)

Getting back on topic, tonight was supposed to be the next City Planning Commission Hearing on the Eastern Gateway project, but was postponed, so far no word, and they said a minimum 30 days notice would be given before holding a workshop or hearing, so still waiting for the final plans and decisions to move forward...

Interesting new website set up by the Harbor Boulevard Merchants Coalition. Not much new, but interesting to read that they claim Disney does not want to do another workshop, and now the delays are going to impact the opening of the new Star Wars area, i understand they want a decision quickly, while the merchants want to drag this out.

https://www.saynotodisney.com/

I don't get specifically the restaurant's opposition to this...yeah, foot traffic patterns on Harbor will change but that seems it would be offset by the now THOUSANDS of guests that have easy access to the off site restaurants heading into and out of the parks.

I know McDonalds is resisting the easement. I would think they would welcome that with open arms.

This also smacks of people that move near an airport then complain about increased air traffic!

Interesting new website set up by the Harbor Boulevard Merchants Coalition. Not much new, but interesting to read that they claim Disney does not want to do another workshop, and now the delays are going to impact the opening of the new Star Wars area, i understand they want a decision quickly, while the merchants want to drag this out.

https://www.saynotodisney.com/

The site has a link to a large pdf version of the project.
The original design from the start of this thread.

It will be interesting to see how much support this "coalition" receives for resort guests and Anaheim residents. Delays to the Star Wars area and the parking structure will likely erode that support.

I don't get specifically the restaurant's opposition to this...yeah, foot traffic patterns on Harbor will change but that seems it would be offset by the now THOUSANDS of guests that have easy access to the off site restaurants heading into and out of the parks.

I know McDonalds is resisting the easement. I would think they would welcome that with open arms.

This also smacks of people that move near an airport then complain about increased air traffic!

Right now, people have easy access to the businesses on Harbor. But if the bridge goes in, many people will be able to avoid Harbor completely. They will go from their cars, through security, and right over Harbor.

And if they get rid of the current crosswalks, it will REALLY hurt those businesses.

Right now, people have easy access to the businesses on Harbor. But if the bridge goes in, many people will be able to avoid Harbor completely. They will go from their cars, through security, and right over Harbor.

And if they get rid of the current crosswalks, it will REALLY hurt those businesses.

I agree! Seems like it will hurt them rather than help. As far as the airport comparison, most of the businesses have been there since before DL opened.

...It will be interesting to see how much support this "coalition" receives for resort guests and Anaheim residents. Delays to the Star Wars area and the parking structure will likely erode that support.
It's a scary enough headline for Disney to draw support towards them but I'd like to call their bluff on this will delay the opening of Star Wars Land stuff. Actually sounds desperate on their part. Maybe they're making the case Star Wars Land will lead to bigger crowds and the Harbor Blvd entrance can't handle any larger crowds? Please. Like large crowds have ever stopped Disney before? SWL is Iger's pet project. Delaying it because someone couldn't get locals on board just ain't gonna fly. Especially as he's only CEO through 2018. (Unless he decides to stick around again.)

I think if Disney would pledge to keep the crosswalk open and a security checkpoint there, that would solve the problem, however I have to assume that Disney doesn't want to do that, because they have plans for that area.

One point that was made...

I do agree with the look of the Bridge issue. Disney focused on the areas where their guests will be on it (Walkway and safety fences on the edge), and built a very basic bridge (Think the Disneyland Drive Bridge and Downtown Disney). The city should make Disney spend some money to make the street views of the bridge a bit nicer than Generic.

Darkbeer1, hope you're on the mend.

I saw in another thread/news that Star Wars opening in 2019. So will this delay the parking structure construction since it's not opening in 2018? Selfishly I'm hoping so (we're coming end of August)

In the time that this thread started and and now, I have made my first trip to Universal Orlando. Interestingly, they have this exact same set-up, as far as parking garages, security and bridge. On the park side of the street, they do have a Valet station with a smaller security entrance that can be used by foot traffic on that side of the street. The closest crosswalk is not directly across from this entrance, but is at least (what would equate to) a couple blocks in either direction.

A major difference is that Universal doesn't have a string of long-standing hotels on the main street with guests who have become accustomed to crossing the street at a convenient location to the park entrance.

It remains to be seen what the City ultimately requires Disney to do. I think no matter what, they will end up with a security checkpoint on the Park side, but I suspect this will be a small checkpoint with longer lines that will make you wish you just walked around to the larger checkpoint. Also, I suspect a main driver for the city in this project is to improve traffic on Harbor - which means they will attempt to reduce cross-walks as much as possible. I don't think Disney would be responsible for closing crosswalks. That seems like something the City would have to take on.

If I was one of the business owners, I would be pushing for Disney to provide easy pedestrian and wheelchair access on the backside of my property to their new checkpoint. That would have me prepared for either outcome.

After looking at the picture of bridge and new security area, I really hate this idea. All the hotels that are on Harbor close to the current entrance will be hurt a ton by this. Now if you stay at say Tropicana or HoJo, you won't be able to walk down the street, cross, and enter the parks. You'll have to go way backwards to go through security, then all the way back through the walkway and over the bridge. It'll make for a lot more walking. Especially if you're at Desert Palm, Candy Cane Inn....you'll have to cross the street going away from DL, walk all the way around to get to the security checkpoint or now take ART to that area. What are now walk-in properties will now be like staying over a mile away. No bueno.

As far as stalling StarWars land, that's hardly my concern. What Disney is doing is just making space to push DCA into the esplanade to make room for Marvel Land. But it will make ALL of those Harbor hotels not-so-convenient in the very near future. And yes, it will hurt IHOP, Denny's, McD's and Tony Roma's as well. You won't be able to just leave the park, hit those places for dinner and walk back. Now you'll have to go backwards through the security checkpoints on the far side and walk all the way back into the park. Disney may need to put in those airport moving sidewalks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter