New Park Rumor

I seem to recall Roy and Mike were on the outs before the bid -- Comcast was a means, extreme as it was, for Roy to achieve his ultimate ends at that point: The removal of Mike Eisner.

Correct...in fact, Brian Roberts (CEO of comcast) had worked for Disney in his younger days. As skillful and shrewd as he is, there is no way that he would have launched a blind stock buyout thinking it would have actually succeeded in acquiring Disney.
The negotiated takeover of NBC/universal is much more his style.

It has been suggested that the takeover bid of disney was done in consultation with Roy...I don't know if that was the case -we never will - but the timing was perfect to knock Eisners foundation out from under him. At that point, he was ruling with an iron fist with a puppet board of directors...only something big could get him out.

You can make your own opinion...but he packed up his office about a year later.

Very convenient

I seem to recall Roy and Mike were on the outs before the bid -- Comcast was a means, extreme as it was, for Roy to achieve his ultimate ends at that point: The removal of Mike Eisner.

I think this absolutely correct but I believe Roy was always in favor of the big sale. Getting rid of Mikey was a secondary battle that he was pleased to win in lieu of the ultimate payday he was looking (hoping) for.

My point being that the Roy saved Disney mantra is only true to a point and it wasn't based on his love of Disney but rather his unfavorable view of the money to be made at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter