• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Orleans...vacation planning help needed!

I second what arminnie said about the Columns Hotel. My high school reunion from an uptown high school in 2011 had an after the reunion party here. Very good ambiance, and easy to get here via the streetcar.

There is another nice bar in the Monteleone hotel in the French quarter. Lots of history here, and the guest rooms are nice too. Can't beat the location, except the noise from the French quarter can be heard from lower floors.

We made our first trip in October. Did a lot of the same things already posted but we loved the Ghost Tour & the haunted cemetery tours. (2 separate tours) We also did the Oak Alley Plantation tour. It was pretty eye opening. We took a trip on the Natchez, another informative trip. Cafe DuMond, Oceana's, Tajaques were fun & yummy but the Hurricanes from Pat O'Brien's was a fun way to end a day, too. Enjoy!

We are considering a drive up from Orlando in August for a few days. How brutal is the weather?

Also, we are not big partiers. Having never been there, I'm afraid that's an important part of the charm.

We are considering a drive up from Orlando in August for a few days. How brutal is the weather?

Also, we are not big partiers. Having never been there, I'm afraid that's an important part of the charm.
DH and I are the quintessential "non-partiers" lol!
You will never catch me with a "hurricaine" (that ship has sailed, Honey!)
But we LOVE NOLA! So much history, so beautiful, and such great food and music!
Go, you will never regret it!

Gumbo Shop!! It's about a block or so past the cathedral on N Peters. I've been eating there for 30 years. It's still my favorite.

Bittersweet Confections for cupcakes, Sucre for gelato and other sweets. Prepare for lots of walking and eating! Try everything!

When you say Food and Music Festival, do you mean the French Qtr Fest? If so they will have music set up all over the quarter. You won't have to take the streetcar. Drury is just a few blocks. They will also have food vendors everywhere. So in addition to restaurants, try as many of the food vendors as possible. Restaurants sponsor the booths and you can try different things from different ones. Again, try as much as you can! They'll have a ton on the levy behind the aquarium and a bunch around Jackson square. There are maps all around of the food and music areas. It's a lot of fun.

The beignet place on Royal next to the police station is Cafe Beignet. It's good too. You can't go wrong with either place. Do shop up and down Royal Street. You'll enjoy it. Some typical touristy shops but they have fun art galleries to browse too. Also Forever New Orleans (there are like 3 different stores on Royal and they all have different stuff). Hit Fleurty Girl next to Gumbo Shop too.

I had more to add, and forgot what it was. I'll just keep making posts. Haha!

There go the Disboards again!

Now I have to plan a return back to New Orleans. It's been too long!

This was not a budget post for me.....lol!

I know! I just got back (again) last week. Took my kiddos over to the zoo. We keep a membership and don't use it nearly enough. I need to plan another zoo day. I've for at least three other trips over planned for this year already and frankly, it's not enough!

How old are your kids? I live about an hour away. A decade or two ago I could tell you about the great bars, but now I can only tell you about the kid friendly activities! The zoo is amazing, we like it so much better than the San Diego and National Zoos. The aquarium and insectarium are nice, also. If your kids are younger, city park has a kiddie area that younger kids love. The Mardi Gras World museum is fun.

Take your time at the French Quarter festival... Sample all of the foods and drinks, try an Abita beer, people watching in NO is awesome! There are usually artists in Jackson Square. Ride the streetcar through the garden district. St. Louis cathedral is beautiful. DH loves the WWii museum, my kids like playing in the bunkers outside there.

I wouldn't worry about food too much, most restaurants will be great. I think Commanders is overrated, and Acme is a tourist focused place, so save your money and time. Camellia Grill is also heavily visited by tourists, at breakfast there will be a line out the door, but we still like it. You can sit at the counter and the cooks will talk to you, they're usually funny and the food is good.

And it may seem weird, but the cemeteries are really nice, you should definitely go to at least one. I had a friend from college (in PA) come home with me for spring break once, and she was in awe of the tombs/ vaults... It never occurred to me that all cemeteries didn't use them!

We do not party big time, either, but having a Hurricane & keeping the souvenir glass from Pat O'Brien's while talking & people watching was fun. I wouldn't take kids there for certain. The River Walk & the ride on the Natchez is definitely kid friendly stuff. Just walking along the streets in the French Quarter was fun. I would stay away from Bourbon Street w/kids. My screen saver is currently the St. Louis Cathedral.

You are going for FOOD festival - plenty plenty food all over Jackson square and up on the river.....bring lots of $$
I love Muriel's crawfish enchiladas- always has a booth

Also there is usually an outside art show all around the Cathedral- I love this.... And on the river and all over the Quarter are bandstands with bands,,,it's one of my favorite festivals

I agree with virtually everything so far posted - except for Mulates - it's disgusting. Worst food I've ever had there.

If you ride the St. Charles streetcar (and you should) stop off at The Columns Hotel for a drink. It's consistently rated as one of the best bars in the city. Big porch and usually live music. The movie "Pretty Baby" with Brooke Shields was filmed there. It's used in videos and movies all the time. I have a condo next door so I am very aware of often they film there.

I bought my condo 10 days before Katrina. I have no regrets. It's been a fun ride.
Arminnie- the original Mulates in Breaux Bridge closed down...it was really more famous for the music NOT the food here in Cajun country....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter