New Orleans ?'s for Corey & Julie (and anyone else!)

misstheworld

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm heading to NOLA in June for a conference with quite a few of my co-workers. We are staying at the SpringHill Suites across from the Convention Center and will NOT be renting cars.

Anyone have suggestions on local restaurants to get lunch and/or dinner? They need to be in walking distance of the Convention Center, but I think the French Quarter is do-able for the group we've got.

Oh yeah...and we work at a church so there won't be drinking. At least not as a group...so bar suggestions aren't really what I'm trying to find.

I've done some internet research, but was hoping someone who had actually been to NOLA recently could suggest something. Thanks so much!!

Katie

Looks like a pretty good location.

Consider riding the trolly along the riverfront to the far end of the French Quarter (Esplanade stop) and walking back. The French Market is a fun shopping area.

Cafe DuMonde is not to be missed for beignets and cafe au laid. Just be sure not to be wearing black that day.

I'd also suggest one of the various boat rides on the river for a different perspective on the city.

Hi,

I would recommend the Gumbo Shop located at 630 Saint Peter Street and/or Muriel's Jackson Square at 801 Chartres Street (both are in the quarter's).

We always go to one or both anytime we visit relatives in New Orleans.

Lizzie

I had so much fun in New Orleans for a convention 2 years ago!
We partied in the French Quarter, which is like bar hopping where you can take your drink with you:drinking1, visit many types of bars and live music venues:music:, or just socialize in the streets:dancer:!

Two things that I remember specifically and would recommend were:
Mulate's Restaurant for Cajun food and Zydeco music - especially great for groups. :cool1:

and
the Laura Plantation tour which is a Creole plantation - different from the huge, beautiful Antibellum plantations. Very rich with character and history!

Enjoy!

If money isn't an issue, check out August and do the tasting menu. You'll be glad you did.

We like Emeril's, NOLA, any of the John Besh (especially Luke in the St. Charles St. Hilton), Dickie Brennan's. Pretty much anywhere! The food is great in New Orleans! ::yes::

As the previous posters have stated, Cochon is superb as is the deli/wine bar behind it, Cochon Butcher. Because Butcher is usually packed, we will often pick up sandwiches and "extras" and take them back to our room. Butcher has some great Sunday brunch items too.

Also in that immediate area, Rio Mar is a favorite of ours for fish (Latin American / Spanish inspired). Its sister restaurants A mano and La Boca also get great word of mouth reviews, but I haven't been to either. Rock n sake offers sushi and a very boisterous atmosphere. Grand Isle, on the Fulton Street promenade is an easy walk and will have po-boys and seafood options, along with oysters. Drago's is inside of the Hilton and features its chargrilled oysters.

Although a bit of a longer walk, we also regularly go to The American Sector at the World War II Museum. It is a John Besh restaurant and features traditional American dishes, but with a regional and updated twist. I have enjoyed everything I have ordered there and usually just get several sides. I think it is a fun "retro" atmosphere too. Our guests have enjoyed it as well. They also have a soda shop across the street for milkshakes and light lunch offerings as well. If you have spare time, definitely visit the museum - it is on my must do list for friends who are visiting the area.

For upscale dining in your area, Emeril's is on Julia Street. I think it is still great after all of these years.

Lots of wonderful selections in New Orleans, including the Warehouse / Convention Center district. Hope you have a great time.

OMG i cant believe my fellow NOLA people arent saying,,

Willie May's Scotch House
2401 Saint Ann Street New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 822-9503

AND
Dooky Chase's
2301 Orleans Avenue New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 821-0600

both have been featured on food network shows many times. YOU CANT GO WRONG!!!! Google both places, well worth it. :cool1:

You havnt seen NOLA if you have ate at these places!

OMG i cant believe my fellow NOLA people arent saying,,

Willie May's Scotch House
2401 Saint Ann Street New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 822-9503

AND
Dooky Chase's
2301 Orleans Avenue New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 821-0600

both have been featured on food network shows many times. YOU CANT GO WRONG!!!! Google both places, well worth it. :cool1:

You havnt seen NOLA if you have ate at these places!

The OP said "walking distance". Neither of these places are. And they are not in neighborhoods that I would send tourists to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter