New Orleans/French Quarter questions

pozey

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>I think I would ra
So my DS (18) and I will be stopping in New Orleans for just one night on our way to moving him into college.

We will be arriving somewhere around 4:00pm and are going to stay in a hotel in the French Quarter.

I am looking for suggestions for a good place to have dinner. Nothing overly fancy/expensive. Somewhere under $25 per person. I have done a little research and right now I am leaning towards a place called EAT New Orleans. Does anyone have some other suggestions?

And suggestions on other things we might be able to see and do in that short amount of time? We will be waking up and leaving early the next morning.

And for breakfast...is Cafe Du Monde a MUST? Or is there somewhere else we should look into for breakfast?

I've never been to New Orleans...and this is going to be just a very short stop.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I think it depends on what you like to eat. I love The Gumbo Shop, Ralph and Kakoo's, and a couple of other places that I'll have to try to remember. Du Monde is a time consumer, because there is always a line. I have read that you can get equally good beignets elsewhere, and there are famous places for breakfast that don't serve beignets or serve them but have other items on the menu.

I have never been to EAT New Orleans, I'm not wild about the location and the reviews were mixed. I love New Orleans and go as often as possible.

If you want more options than just beignets, and a rather cool atmosphere:
Cafe Beignet at Musical Legends Park
311 Bourbon Street

I am a huge fan of Pierre Maspero's. The food is good and the service has always been excellent for us.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

After a little more research and your suggestions, I think we will go to Cafe Beignet for beignets.

Making a list of dinner suggestions...so keep those coming as well.

I've looked at the menus of the places you guys suggested and I think we would like any and all of those places.

what night of the week are you there?

we like Mr B's on Royal-but only have gone there for lunch(Gumbo ya-ya)

Felix's oyster house or Acme

Most of the finer dining places are more like 35-45 at night

Muriels'a on Jackson square

http://www.muriels.com/html/dinner.html

We will be there on a Tuesday night.

I've been to Acme Oyster House in Destin. Muriel's might be a littel to upscale for how we will be dressed.

A thought on Cafe Du Monde and beignets.

Cafe du Monde is such an institution that I just think you've got to go there at least once. Here's a link with it's history. http://www.cafedumonde.com/history

For our family, it's not a breakfast spot, but a snack or dessert place.

Another "institution" in the quarter is Central Grocery. Home of the mufuletta--New Orleans original sandwich. Not too far from Cafe DU Monde.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/122/central-grocery

The Court of Two Sisters is another long standing resturant. http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

Been years since I've eaten there, but they are known for their jazz brunch.

We drive over for the day and the French Quarter always has something to see!! LOL It's like no other place.

I think that if you aren't frequent New Orleans visitors, Cafe du Monde is a must-do. It doesn't have to be breakfast though if you want more breakfast options - try it for a late night snack. The French Market location is open 24x7.

We will be there on a Tuesday night.

I've been to Acme Oyster House in Destin. Muriel's might be a littel to upscale for how we will be dressed.

:thumbsup2 actually that is WAYYY better for a Wed AM beigneits-less tourists

I like Felix's better-my Dads fave back in the 50's

Gumbo shop-its casual
House of blues (this is the original one)
Napoleon House for a Muffalato
Central grocery-Muffalato-this is a real 'joint" and you share tables

Another vote for Deanies here. Just don't order the large platter.

Mother's is well known and if I remembe right, not hi dollar.

We just got back from NO on Sunday. We were going to eat at Acme Oyster House but the line was just too long. So we kept walking and found a place called Oceana Grill. We were very glad we did. It was great. There was a line, but it was moving and we only waited about 15 minutes. The hostess was very sweet and friendly as was our server. DH loves etouffee and jambalaya so he ordered a dish that contained all that plus the red beans and rice. My taste is more simple so I had a salad with grilled shrimp on it. Both entrees were terrific. His was $16 and mine was $15. We each had a drink, so that bumped it up, but I think it was a little over $50. We liked it so much we went back one day for breakfast. That was wonderful too. http://www.oceanagrill.com/

We did Cafe Beignet for lunch the day we arrived and were not overly impressed. DH ordered a shrimp Po Boy and it was literally just little fried shrimp on a roll - no dressing, mayonnaise or anything. I had a sandwich that was ok. We liked the statues there, plus we had a singer for entertainment, so that was cool. We did not try the beignets there though.

We did hit Cafe du Monde and we enjoyed it. Again, there was a line, but it was moving and we really didn't wait. I really enjoyed the beignets and coffee!

Our other meals were with a group. We were at Drago's in the Hilton. I had the shrimp salad there as well and it was great. Most people were eating the grilled oysters. We also had a gathering at Arnaud's. Very interesting place, but above the budget you mentioned.

There were lots of other places we would like to try, but that will have to wait til the next trip!

Enjoy your time in NO!

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I have a pretty good list of restaurants to choose from now.

We visited NO for the first time back in March with my DB and DSIL who had been before (it was so nice to have tour guides!!). We also stayed in the French Quarter and two of my favorite meals we had were at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen in the French Quarter and Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro on Frenchmen Street. K-Pauls was very elegant and was our most expensive meal of the trip but worth every penny. The Custard Marie Creme Brulee is to die for!! Frenchmen Street was a lot of fun for different jazz bars and we hit up Snug Harbor for their oversized burgers served with baked potatos. DH and I had to split it there was so much food but it was so tasty.

If you are looking for an excellent place for breakfast, I highly recommend The Ruby Slipper. We went to The Marigny location because it was only a couple blocks from our hotel but they have several locations.

I hope you have a great time in NO - it is one of my most favorite cities visited and definitely someplace I want to come back to.

All of the suggestions I've seen have been good choices...you can't go wrong with any of them.

I just wanted to say that I hope you have a wonderful time here!! :hippie:

All of the suggestions I've seen have been good choices...you can't go wrong with any of them.

I just wanted to say that I hope you have a wonderful time here!! :hippie:

Thank you. I agree...I have looked at the websites for all the places everyone has suggested...all great recommendations. Now I just have to decide which one.

Unfortunately we will be there for a very short period of time.

We also stayed in the French Quarter and two of my favorite meals we had were at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen in the French Quarter

:thumbsup2

Paul Prudhomme was the person who brought the world's attention to Cajun Cooking
I'll never forget trying to bring out of town guests there many , many years ago, only to discover many of the great dining establishments in the Quarter are closed on Monday :faint:

I ate at the River's Edge (right across the street from Café Du Monde and next to Jackson Square). Ate there twice, once with my nephew then I took my parents there. Had a po boy both times (one sausage, the non spicy is still pretty darn spicy and one roast beef). My nephew had Pan Perdu (this is a French Toast type item. It was brunch time), for a dinner my mom split my po boy and my step dad had a local fish with rice.

Really good food, great views of Jackson Square and the tourists on Decatur St., prices were affordable and well then we hit Du Monde for dessert.

Then walked it all off sightseeing.

It was very casual and the staff were super.

PS if you want lettuce, dressing, and tomatoes on your po boy you have to ask for it dressed. That may be why the previous reply got a dry po boy. And when getting coffee (or Café au Latte at Café Du Monde) it will often be chicory coffee, it's an acquired taste. Be sure to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter