New Orleans ~ French Quarter or Riverside?!?!?!?

JamieElise17

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to plan my next trip to Disney and I can't decide on where to stay.... We think that we want to stay at the Port Orleans - we just can't decide on the French Quarter or the Riverside!!! Any input would be helpful!

Stayed at Coronado last year.. loved that too - so I suspect I will love Riverside :) looks like more walking but everything is themed so nicely and I love to take walks by myself early in the morning or late at night - to explore... Nice thing is, POR and FQ are really the same resort - you get two themed pools and a lot of extra stuff, two food courts and a nice sitdown...

I think I love that so much about CSR - the three very different areas to explore.

Have fun, you can't go wrong - everything is so pretty and wonderful.

I have stayed at both and they are nice. I think it depends on how many people, ages, etc.....
POFQ is MUCH smaller so it is easier to get to the bus stop(there is only one) and food court. The pool is close to all too and has a really fun serpent slide which is not too big or crazy. I really like the Now Orleans/jazzy theme.

POR is much bigger! We had a trundle bad so we stayed at Alligator Bayou and luckily we were not that far(but still pretty far) from the food court area. We chose to use the quiet pool near us and really liked it so we didn't get to Ol' Man River. Alligator Bayou was nice and we liked the decor. The Mansions only hold 4 people and have a very cool theme. Check out the pics here or at allearsnet.com
POR has four bus stops and is pretty big. We did walk more than POFQ We had no problems with transportation at either place and that was even during the summer which was crowded. Both resorts share buses and POFQ is the first stop.

So if you don't like to walk as much I would stay at POFQ. Both resorts are great. I don't know which one I would choose again....I enjoyed them both!

POR, our FAVORITE resort!
I don't know your child/ren ages but POR has quiet pools and then the main pool at Ol Man Island with waterfalls and a great slide. Also has a sit down restaurant with great food, but make ADR's.
I really don't know many people that walk from resort to resort just to go back and forth for the pools, it's a good 10-15 minute walk on a lovely trail, not really for young kids in the heat, to be doing. There is however the Boat that goes down the Sassagoula River between these sister resorts and DTD. I think the pool at POFQ may be better for younger kids, under 9, its a big dragon versus, POR which is more like a twirly downhill water slide (and has the quiet pools) .
POR also has: boat rentals, fish'n on Ol man, a lovely playground, great store, interactive entertainment with the piano player, carriage rides and so much more. (some of these are also available at POFQ) I know, I am SO BIASED to POR! It really is our home away from home for many many years!!
Wherever you choose, have a
WONDERFUL TIME!!! :wizard:

Oh, and TARYN, : THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!! :grouphug:

We stayed at POFQ this pst January and I would not hesitate to return there. My ONLY complaint is of course Double Beds - but in a Mod that is about all we can expect. I couldn't afford 2 separate king bed rooms for myself, DS, DD & DS's GF.

Food Court had nice variety - refillable mugs - something to make everyone happy every morning. Was a bit busier because the other food court was under refurbishment at the time, but only one bad morning for waits.

We had a riverview room (not requested -surprise upgrade) which was peaceful and quiet. Just pleasant to talk out the door & view the lovely river in the morning.

I loved the atmosphere and the entire environment of POFQ.

French Quarter for sure! Much smaller and easier to get to the pool, lobby, etc when nec. Any resort that has not 1 but 4 bus stops is a little big for me, ie Riverside:)

We have stayed at POR twice and loved it each time. POFQ IMO looks cooler and seems a little easier to get around. If we didn't have 5 in our party I would probably go to POFQ. Are the Room areas of POFQ as nicely landscaped as POR? I have to say that POR is a darn pretty resort in almost every sense of the word.

We stayed at POR last July. We have 5 in our family, DW, DD now 14, DS now 10, and DS 7 so we had to stay at the Alligator Bayou section of POR because that is the only place that would allow 5 in a room with the trundle bed! We were very lucky as we requested Building 15 or 18, hoping to be close to the main building, food court, and pool and ended up in Building 14 which was even closer. Having never stayed at any other resort, we don't know what is big or small for a resort or what a lot of walking, but we were not disappointed with POR. We visited with another family who were out in the back of the resort and they loved it back there! Very, very quiet!! I guess it just depends on what you are looking for!

Have been to POFQ 5 times since 1997. Best thing is the size. Furthest building is less than 3 minute walk to food court and busses.

POR all the way!! Stayed at POR twice and POFQ last time but next year its POR again. DH also prefers it. We consider the size of POR a plus. Many people prefer the smaller POFQ. We love to stroll the grounds at night and our walks to the bus stop in the morning is a great way to start thinking about our day. The other pluses are the bigger food court and Boatwright's (which, incidentally is only a 10-minute walk awayfrom POFQ).

I've stayed at both and my vote goes to POFQ. I loved that it was so small, everything was a close walk away. The grounds were beautiful. We stayed in building 6 and had a fantastic view of the river. The food court was never very busy, and the food was great. :thumbsup2

I also have to ad...POFQ has beignets!:woohoo: Yumm! No matter where we stay, we have to make a few trips to the FQ!

My choice is easy - POR - just look at my signature!! :love: :love: :love: If you have any questions about POR, feel free to PM me - I love to talk about my favorite resort!

I LOVE French Quarter!!! Everything from the cobblestone "streets", to the beautiful gardens and foutanins. It's my favorite mod.

We stayed at POR once. I think they built an extra room just to "tease" us that week. It was soooooo far from the main building and food court that I suppose it could have been in the next resort!

If I ever returned, it would definitely be to POFQ. Unless, of course, they add more far rooms to that one, too.

I agree with earlier post. We just stayed at POR a couple of weeks ago in the Alligator Bayou section (had to have room for 5 people). We were in Building 17 which I thought was too far away from the bus stop. Since all the paths are kind of winding in nature they are good for a leisure walk, but not so good when you are in a hurry to get to the bus stop or tired returning from the parks. I haven't stayed at FQ but I know it is much smaller. On the plus side for POR they have a large food court with a lot of variety. On the whole if I stayed at POR I would make sure that I was closer to the main building and bus stop. I believe that is buildings 14 & 15? I also felt a little too secluded being so far away from everything. This could be a plus or minus for you. What ever you choose, have a great time!

French Quarter. It is much smaller than Riverside and you get picked up and dropped off 1st for the buses and I really like the design of the FQ but thats just me

All of these threads about Port Orleans makes me wish our trip was even sooner than October!!!!:wizard: BUT....we have to wait a few more months. I am glad so many families have stayed at POR and liked it. We are staying there for the first time with our kids who will be 10 and 7 at the time of the trip. My DS6 asked me yesterday "When are we going to see Mickey Mouse? I want to eat with him!!"(And yes, we will. We have an ADR at Chef Mickeys again for this trip). October seems so far away, but it will be here sooner than we think, I am sure. Once school starts again, the time will fly!! Thanks for all the positive posts about PO and keep them coming! Gets me all excited to go this time!!!!:banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter