• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Orleans Experts - Where to Stay? What to Do? Where to Eat?

Wendy31

DIS Veteran
I have wanted to visit New Orleans for years & years & years, & DH & I are currently thinking about maybe visiting for our upcoming anniversary. This will be our 18th anniversary, & we also both turn 40 this year :scared1: - he turned 40 in January & I turn 40 in July. Our anniversary is in April (kinda halfway between our birthdays), so, if we work everything out & get to go, this will be an anniversary/40th birthday celebration.

Anyway, New Orleans is about 7 hours away from us, & it will be a short-ish trip - 2 nights. We'd probably arrive in New Orleans around lunchtime/mid-afternoon on a Friday & leave on Sunday after lunch. Also, this trip can't be too expensive.

I'd love to stay in a hotel or inn w/ a wrought iron balcony overlooking the French Quarter. Any reviews for the Hotel Monteleone?

I want to be able to hear some slow, sexy jazz music & soak in the atmosphere.

For restaurants/food, I want some beignets for breakfast, a good, casual restaurant or 2, & a nice restaurant for our anniversary dinner somewhere.

Any other must-do's? Would we have time for a plantation tour?

We visit St. Augustine, FL every year, & they have an "Original Ghostly Walking Tour" of the city at night w/ the tour guides telling "ghost" stories that are based on actual events & stories/legends of the city. Does New Orleans have anything like that?

Thanks for any help & suggestions!!

New Orleans is a great place to visit! Some great things to do are the French Quarter and the Market their where you can sit down and have some Beignets at the famous Cafe Du Monde. And you can not forget about Bouron Street!

The Garden District is a great place to go see and walk around and admire all of the great architecture!

For a great restaurant for your anniversary, check out Commander's Palace and their 25 cent martinis! Most of the big name Chefs that are from New Orleans have been through this place!

Also the Plantations are quite a ways away from New Orleans. Oak Alley is great, and they have a nice restaurant on site their property. The Myrtle Plantation receives the most media attention because of the ghost stories featuring Chloe. However, you will be extremely disappointed because you can only tour the bottom half, as the upper half is for the B&B's.

I am from New Orleans, and I highly recommend the Monteleone. Other great hotels to look into: Le Richelieu and Bienville House.
Also there are many ghost tours, just google online. As far as a nice place for an anniversary dinner ( besides Commanders Palace, which is fabulous) try Herbsaint. If you have anymore questions, feel free to let me now :-)

To me New Orleans IS the French Quarter and Bourbon St. Its a lot of fun and its very unique. I don't think there really is another town like it. To me its almost like Port Royal the famous pirate town that no longer exists, at least that is how I have it in my mind. Be warned though that especially Bourbon St., is not for the faint of heart :rotfl2: lots of strip clubs, stippers hanging out on the street, prostitutes, and just freaks that are dressed..........oddly. :lmao:

But if you don't mind that and can get passed it, it is super cool. Also, don't go thinking its going to smell like roses, everything's pristine, clean, etc., its got a major grungy side, but to me that's part of the charm.

The Hotel Monteleone is nice. It's an old place but well kept.

As for food, there are so many good places that it's hard to narrow it down! I would suggest splurging for a brunch at Brennan's if you want to get the full New Orleans flavor. Someone already mentioned Commander's Palace and Galatoires used to be good too. (It has been a while.) There is a Margaritaville and Hard Rock if you like that type of place and another possibility is Tujague's. I would check some of the review sites to see what appeals most to you.

I will only add to not judge New Orleans only by Bourbon Street. Bourbon is fun but seedy and a bit depraved. You can easily enjoy New Orleans and even the rest of the Quarter without even going to Bourbon if you decide that you don't care for that scene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter