"New" old Local annual passholder with some questions

OrlandoDisneyFan

Mouseketeer
Greetings....been a while since I've posted here, but the bottom line is that a couple/few years ago my family decided to forgo our Disney annual passes for Universal passes. We are now considering switching back from the "Darkside" as many refer to it here...haha.

So here goes. We have not had annual passes since the new Fastpass+ system has been going on...so I have a few questions.

1) How is the experience with Locals been with the the new FP+ system? Any chance to get a ride or two if you decide to go to the parks a day or two in advance? Or is that crazy talk?

2) If I buy Silver passes tonight online....can I immediately try to make FP+ reservations? Do I have to have the passes in hand versus the vouchers? Once I make a MDX account, of course?

3) Anything else any locals can share would be appreciated. Like I said, it's been a few years since we've been.

Thanks!

Greetings....been a while since I've posted here, but the bottom line is that a couple/few years ago my family decided to forgo our Disney annual passes for Universal passes. We are now considering switching back from the "Darkside" as many refer to it here...haha.

So here goes. We have not had annual passes since the new Fastpass+ system has been going on...so I have a few questions.

1) How is the experience with Locals been with the the new FP+ system? Any chance to get a ride or two if you decide to go to the parks a day or two in advance? Or is that crazy talk?

2) If I buy Silver passes tonight online....can I immediately try to make FP+ reservations? Do I have to have the passes in hand versus the vouchers? Once I make a MDX account, of course?

3) Anything else any locals can share would be appreciated. Like I said, it's been a few years since we've been.

Thanks!
1 yes you can get some good FP the day of for things like FOP more then likely no, 7DMT hard as long as you do not care what time.

2 yes you can book up to 30 days out or 60 if you have a hotel reservation

3 no have fun oh you can only have 7 days worth of FP without an on site hotel stay.

I can get FP for almost anything the week of except for 7DMT and FOP. What's annoying is you can only book 30 days out so a FOP is virtually impossible. I dont think you can book FP if your pass isn't activated.
Knowing that you can return whenever you want makes each trip more relaxing. I often times find myself saying "Oh I'll just check it out next week" if there is something that i've missed.

I can get FP for almost anything the week of except for 7DMT and FOP. What's annoying is you can only book 30 days out so a FOP is virtually impossible. I dont think you can book FP if your pass isn't activated.
Knowing that you can return whenever you want makes each trip more relaxing. I often times find myself saying "Oh I'll just check it out next week" if there is something that i've missed.
you can book FP before your pass is active all you have to do it have it linked in MDE and if you get it from Disney then it will be.

:welcome: back!

Yes it is possible to pick up some FP+'s with short notice. Unless you happen to come upon one that has just been released you won't find ones for FoP, Navi River, and 7DMT. A few of the "second tier favorites, like Peter Pan, Soarin', and the Safari, are, in my experience, challenging but still possible if you can be flexible with the day and time of day.

DW and I are trying just this experiment for our parks visits this winter. Instead of getting up early for rope drop we are trying the FP+ route. I have had success booking about 7-14 days out. In one case, trying to get Peter Pan, I had to try a few times, looking at a couple of different days, before availability popped up in the early afternoon. After a quick confirmation I booked a couple more around that FP.

So we have traded getting up early, waiting at rope drop, then riding our favorites with low waits for busier parking lots, mid day crowds, and FP+ waits. DW appreciates not having to get early and then stand waiting for rope drop.

Over the years our visits to the parks have become more like walks with interesting interruptions along the way. So far the FP+ route has been working. I continue to hone my FP+ booking skills.

The only thing I'll add is that you'll probably note a few more people in the parks during what you might remember as "quieter times".

A few of the "second tier favorites, like Peter Pan, Soarin', and the Safari, are, in my experience, challenging but still possible if you can be flexible with the day and time of day.

I can usually get a Peter Pan a week or two in advance. Only once in the past year have I been able to get a 7DMT at a reasonable time and I'm there several times a month

Thanks for al the helpful replies.

Got the passes purchased and yes was able to start booking FPs right away. Going Saturday and got three of the old favorites in Magic Kingdom lined up and ready to go. First CM I spoke to on the phone said that I would have to have tickets/MBs in hand (not vouchers) before booking FPs. Hung up and called right back (a trick I learned from our Disney Cruise Line days) and next CM not only said it was possible, but stayed on the phone and walked me through the process of making sure passes were linked and booking my first FP !

Been playing with the MDE app all day at work and think it's going to be just fine. We decided to stay at the Contemporary next Saturday night, and I was able to get FPs for Saturday and Sunday that really surprised me....including that new Frozen ride in EPCOT on Sunday morning at 9:30 am and the new Mine Train ride for Saturday night. Lots of refreshing required, but it worked. Now trying to decide where to eat!
:welcome: back!

The only thing I'll add is that you'll probably note a few more people in the parks during what you might remember as "quieter times".

Ha....my expectations are low, but I remember those October/Early December weeknights in the MK about 10 years ago when we felt like we were the only ones in the park! It actually got a little creepy at times!

Thanks again, everyone. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I am really looking forward to this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter