• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Official Segway Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire Figment

<font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend
As many people are aware, the Department of Justice came out, on September 15, 2010, with new final regulations related to the Americans With Disabilities Act. The posting in The Federal Register had six full pages discussing Segways (and that is a lot of small print). These rules take effect on March 15, 2011.

The following has been published on an official Walt Disney Company Web Site:

For safety reasons, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts policy does not allow guests to operate Segways on our property, except in designated areas.

Due to a new Department of Justice rule, a guest may inquire as to why his or her Segway is not permitted. We have performed a safety analysis considering the factors set forth in the Department of Justice rule and determined that unrestricted Segway use is not safe within our environment, enabling our existing policy to remain in effect. Wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) are available for the comfort of our guests.

Thanks for the info!

I am going to make this a sticky so everyone can see it. I am glad Disney is being up front about this and making it clear for CMs! (and us)

Article here details the story about the Aug 31, 2012 ruling:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General...als_Court_Upholds_Disney_s_Ban_on_Segways.htm

Basically, the Federal Appeal Court upheld that Disney did not violate the ADA in banning the use of Segways in their parks. In fact, it found that Disney had done a safety assessment that used the safety considerations written in the ADA to determine Segways in the parks would not be safe.

This covers both WDW and Disneyland Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter