New mugs cant be microwaved

sunset7132

DIS Veteran
Well this stinks . If I'm spending So much money for a mug I'd like to take it home and use it in the microwave. It's no longer a good Souvinier. I'll have to just put it in a box somewhere so no one puts it in the micro by accident and blow the thing up. Don't like this hope they are not in place when you go in November

That is a little disappointing. I have my mugs from last trip and use them to heat up coffee and tea a lot. Was hoping to get some new ones. Guess I will have to look around for microwaveable travel mugs in the shops and not bother with the refillable ones.

I'm wondering if they can't be microwaved ONLY while at Disney due to the RFID chip. You zap the chip, the mug won't work. Once you get home, damaging the chip doesn't really matter, so it might be fine.

I doubt if it is all of Disney's mugs that can't be microwaved, just certain ones. I don't know anything about ceramics, or mugs, so I don't know why some cant be.

But my son bought a Jack Skellington mug about 4 yrs ago that couldn't be microwaved. We noticed it after we bought it home, so I have made a point to look good at all mugs I buy at Disney to make sure they can be put in the microwave. I only find a few here and there that can't be.

I doubt if it is all of Disney's mugs that can't be microwaved, just certain ones. I don't know anything about ceramics, or mugs, so I don't know why some cant be.

But my son bought a Jack Skellington mug about 4 yrs ago that couldn't be microwaved. We noticed it after we bought it home, so I have made a point to look good at all mugs I buy at Disney to make sure they can be put in the microwave. I only find a few here and there that can't be.

I think they're talking about the refillable resort mugs. The mugs are plastic, but they will have RFID chips in them.

What is a RFID chip?

Can we use our mugs from last year?

You can NOT reuse mugs. And just warning you these question usually start a debate.

RFID chips are new and are only good for what ever dates you choose to buy. Its just starting so you will find more info around here.

Geez. They should make the chip removable. We always use the mugs at home in the microwave.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I've cut down on microwaving food in plastic containers since there have been studies indicating that it could contribute to increasing cancer risks. ....just something to consider RFID or not......

I think this might just be due to the RFID chip on the mug. I am not sure why a plastic cup would be used in a microwave anyway, I have never heard of this before :laughing:

Huh. I didn't know the current refillable plastic mugs were microwaveable. Just assumed they weren't sine it is never a good idea (even when possible) to put plastic in microwaves (for health reasons).

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I was wondering the same thingas some PPs..I never knew the refillable mugs were microwaveable. See how oblivious I am to some things! Haha. But I'm with others....we don't microwave plastic so it never would have occurred to me. But to each their own.

Lol I don't even own a microwave so its a non issue here but I didn't know the old ones were either!

When the RFID chips become active, re-using old mugs will not be possible. So it will end the debate regarding whether you should re-use them or not.

And yes, they cannot be microwaved because of the RFID chip. Don't know if that is because the chip won't work, or because microwaving the chip could cause damage to the mug or the microwave. I have no idea if they're metal or have metal in them or what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter