New members as of yesterday and wishing for the best!!

Ginar695

Earning My Ears
Hi!
We just became DVC members yesterday aboard the Disney Wonder and are so excited!! Hoping I'll find some valuable information on these boards!! We started with 150 points so hopefully that'll be good for now.....

Welcome home! Did you buy at the Poly or at Aulani, or someplace else?

Bobbi

Ha, I just posted a question about the home resort! That wasn't mentioned at our meeting and I saw it on the boards so I was a bit confused. We live in California and the only resort near our home is the Grand Californian. I'm trying to look through all the posts to see what people based their home resort on before we have to decide. I know we won't want to stay at the Grand Californian all the time since it's pretty much down the street! So we'll have to choose carefully. AS far as doing our homework, I'm a little embarrassed to say the only homework we did was to go to the informational meeting. This was our 2nd Disney Cruise and we were planning another one and thought the DVC sounded like a much better and valuable option since we're true Disney fans and would like to do a vacation a year.

Okay, I'm looking at the sheet they showed us and up at the top it lists Aulani, so I'm assuming that's the one we bought into. We bought direct on the Disney Wonder cruise yesterday. Funny though that they didn't mention that we could choose our home resort....

You really should consider canceling the sale while you still can and do some research before purchasing. If you bought and you don't know your home resort you have a lot to consider before spending $$$$$$$$$.

Ha, I just posted a question about the home resort! That wasn't mentioned at our meeting and I saw it on the boards so I was a bit confused. We live in California and the only resort near our home is the Grand Californian. I'm trying to look through all the posts to see what people based their home resort on before we have to decide. I know we won't want to stay at the Grand Californian all the time since it's pretty much down the street! So we'll have to choose carefully. AS far as doing our homework, I'm a little embarrassed to say the only homework we did was to go to the informational meeting. This was our 2nd Disney Cruise and we were planning another one and thought the DVC sounded like a much better and valuable option since we're true Disney fans and would like to do a vacation a year.
AAHHHHH. So I don't know you but I say the following out of goodness, not spite -- cancel your contract, rescind. You may have gotten caught up in the moment, and if you don't know where you bought, I suspect that's true. Stop. Put the money aside and spend the next 60 days getting "smart" on DVC. regardless of what they told you, DVC is a time share with all the restrictions, obligations, and opportunities that come with that. At $30k buy in, you want to buy right.

Thank you for your comments :) Aulani is the resort my hubby and I had really planned on vacationing at the most and since our daughter is a Disney Castmember we were able to get a good deal, I believe, after looking at some of the pricing. We definitely did not pay $30,000, my hubby would have definitely walked outta there! We paid about half of that for 120 points plus they gave us 120 points from last year as an incentive. We still have 30 days to reconsider so I'll definitely be doing some research before we "actually" sign!

Judging by your initial posts, I strongly urge you to reconsider, or at least take some additional time to research. Then again, its your money, YOLO!

For those who will inevitable come in here to educate this women, as someone whose never been to one of these sessions on DCL are they that uninformative as I'm led to believe by this thread? I mean not even educating as to what a home resort is?

Hi Ginar695,

Welcome home, and welcome to the Disboards! :welcome: You will learn so much from the people here. Go search through the various threads on use year, home resort, and points. Contact DVC to find out how long you have to change your mind. Aulani is a fabulous resort, but you should do your homework...most of us adore our DVC, but it is complex and not for everyone.

Meg

Thank you for your comments :) Aulani is the resort my hubby and I had really planned on vacationing at the most and since our daughter is a Disney Castmember we were able to get a good deal, I believe, after looking at some of the pricing. We definitely did not pay $30,000, my hubby would have definitely walked outta there! We paid about half of that for 120 points plus they gave us 120 points from last year as an incentive. We still have 30 days to reconsider so I'll definitely be doing some research before we "actually" sign!
First of all. Welcome :)!!!

Second, I hate to jump on the "rescind, rescind!" bandwagon, but I couldn't agree more. Even $15000 is far too much money to have any confusion attached with regards to its use. For example, I'm sure you would be surprised to learn that you were actually not given any "incentive" points, those were points you purchased as part of the contract as they are attached to the current use year. You got absolutely nothing for free or as an incentive. It burns me when I hear this being bandied about in the sales meetings and I find it really underhanded and slimy as a sales tactic.

Second, have you looked into the maintenance fees at Aulani?

I am really urging you to take the advice of pretty much everyone else who has posted who recommends that you take some time to educate your family about which path to take here. If you can find an Aulani resale with subsidized maintenance fees, you'll come out way ahead and pay less than you would even with your daughter's discount :).

Take a look at the posts in the DVC Information Center, starting with this one:

• A Comprehensive Introduction to DVC - Perhaps you have wondered whether buying into Disney Vacation Club is actually a good idea for your family. We can't give a definitive answer to that question that fits everyone, but we can supply you with the information you'll need to make an informed decision.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

Thank you so much! Okay, now I'm really going to look at the resale offers and make an informed decision without the interference of pixie dust!!! I know we really want to join but we also really want the most bang for our bucks as well!!

Before we considering a resale, I thought I had read somewhere that with a resale, you cannot stay at all of the resorts that are included in a direct sale? Such as the partner resorts, etc???

To quote a regular: you don't buy DVC to use it as a trade, it is a poor use of points: you buy DVC because you plan on staying at WDW (or Aulani) for many years, and you want access to quality accommodations.

The number one mantra: buy where you want to stay. It is not a guarantee that you will always be able to stay anywhere else.

Before we considering a resale, I thought I had read somewhere that with a resale, you cannot stay at all of the resorts that are included in a direct sale? Such as the partner resorts, etc???

There are some differences, which are explained in the post below. If you purchase resale, you can't use the points for Disney Resort Hotels, Disney Cruise Line, and Adventures by Disney. However, you can use them on all DVC resorts as well as RCI exchanges. Give this thread a read:

• Should I buy direct from DVC or buy resale? - Most people who first hear about DVC hear directly from Disney, and may not even be aware that there is an active resale market where DVC contracts may be purchased - just like you can purchase a new or used home.

Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.

I would strongly recommend against buying to use points for any exchange options. In almost every situation you'll pay far more than you would just OOP for non guaranteed options as well as adding risk and hassle doing so. If Aulani is your ultimate decision, I'd buy a fixed week there even if it's not the unit size or week you normally need for retail. You can save money on resale AND potentially find a contract with subsidized dues. And if HI is your main goal, I'd look at other timeshare options like Marriott, Hilton or Wyndham which will cover HI far better. That way you pick up other locations besides Oahu. You're not going to be successful routinely doing that using DVC to trade. If you signed a contract already, I don't believe you'll have 30 days, I believe it's only 7 days for Hawaii. You must follow the legal process for the cancelation to be valid. I'd suggest you cancel and educate yourself. If you decide later you're first choice was still the best one, you can still do that.

Hi!
We just became DVC members yesterday aboard the Disney Wonder and are so excited!! Hoping I'll find some valuable information on these boards!! We started with 150 points so hopefully that'll be good for now.....

Welcome! As a member for over 15 years I hope you enjoy DVC as much as we have. I am not going to recommend canceling or buying resale, since you never asked. I will say this board can be a great resource BUT doesn't mean it is fool proof. If you do have immediate questions, besides asking here I would contact DVC office and confirm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter