• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Member Site: Yea! or Blah!

What do you think of the new DVC site?

• Yea! This is what I was expecting, or better!

• Blah! Too much hype. I expected more and feel let down!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, since they first announced the site, it was indicated it would be a work in progress and more and more functions would be added later...so no, I was not disappinted, I expected the debut to be basically a re-format of the information on the other site. I think DVC was first concerned about passwording the site, since by now the old username and password were sure the hands of people that arre not DVC members. By having our individual numbers, they can drop access for us if we sell our contract.

I voted "yea", simply because this is about what I expected. It's nice to not have to look at the Member Handbook that is 2-3 years old.

I certainly wouldn't say that I am thrilled with the site, but I just didn't expect it to have all of the features that people have been begging for in this first revision. The fact that it's getting ANY attention at all is definitely a positive step. But to think that they would have rolled-out on-line reservations and point balances right from the start was unrealistic, IMO.

I voted Yea!

I have tallied it up, but it's pretty much what they said they would do. Anyone who's disappointed, didn't read the flyer.

Now that they've launched the secure log-ins, it's full steam ahead toward new tranansactional capabilities.

Congrats DVC!

Well I voted that I was disappointed, and I read the flyer. I am disappointed because it's the first time I've read when they expect to get account management tools online - and it's late 2005. I was sort of hoping when they said it was a work in progress that they would be actively working on it. Late 2005 really surprises me, it just doesn't seem that hard.

By the way, it's not secure login yet either. Not that it needs to be, with no private transactions occurring. However, it does appear that now would be a good time to collect usernames and passwords, since they don't appear to be using any security yet (not that I would do such a thing!)

Originally posted by rwodonnell
Well I voted that I was disappointed, and I read the flyer. I am disappointed because it's the first time I've read when they expect to get account management tools online - and it's late 2005. I was sort of hoping when they said it was a work in progress that they would be actively working on it. Late 2005 really surprises me, it just doesn't seem that hard.

I don't know, ever get a printout from MS? I'd hate to try to write program to read and use that data in real time, online. Especially on members with add-ons or multiple contracts.

Did those people with multiple contracts and use years (not add-ons) get more than one ID number? Will they need more than one user name?

I did not vote. I am neutral overall. I love the site improvements - its finally got a look and feel equal to WDW site.

But I wish they would have rolled out functional enhancements. If Fredrickson and Caskbill can create such great tools in their spare time, then Disney technology department should be able to do the same and scale that functionality to the demands of the DVC site. Those tools plus real time online reservation capability should have been part of the roll out. It is not as if they need to figure out how to do it. The knowledge already exists.

Possibly they do not have the budget to do this.

The reality is it's almost exactly the same as the old website. The only differences I saw were the points calculator working for 2005, hopefully, the resort comparison grid and a few new members perks/discounts. Two of which would have been, or many already were, on the old website. It's exactly what I expected but I'm sure it's a work in progress. Hopefully things pick up in the near future.

Here is what I wrote on another thread:

BORING!!!!!!!

What is the purpose of having this "brand new" site, when it doesn't offer any new features??

As a web developer by trade, I can't understand why Disney does not offer "REAL" online reservations (Think Expedia/Travelocity) and point account management. Do they think we are too dumb to figure it out?

They can take their new site and put it on the shelf. It is a new fancy package for the old site...in my opinion.

I have personally met some web developers that work at Disney. It doesn't surprise me that they can't get their act together. Their computer department is segmented and they don't pool their resources together. They have some talented people there, but if they would just work together, maybe they could launch a site that isn't just eye-candy, but is actually helpful to its users.

Sorry for venting....I have been waiting for this site, now the sour taste of disappointment has gotten to me.

It's much too soon to judge the new website. They're just getting it up and running. Check back this time next year and decide how you like it.

I really didn't expect online reservations but I was surprised that we can't see our current point balances and existing reservations. That would be a real no brainer to add.

Originally posted by rocketriter
It's much too soon to judge the new website. They're just getting it up and running. Check back this time next year and decide how you like it.
I wish I could work on this sort of time frame in my job.

I was hoping to see my point balance. I would love to be able to book from the site, but e-mailing is fine. I like the paper trail of the transactions...

So, if they could just add my point balance to the website, I'd move my Blah vote to Yea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter