New Member questions

Jeff1805

Earning My Ears
My closing finally went through on 270 OKW and is listed on the Orange County Comptroller's website. So we are finally DVC owners (took long enough). So, as the new kids on the block, I have a few questions:

When purchasing annual passes (we plan to go more than once a year), how is this accomplished? We want the passes to take effect the day we start our vacation (or as close as possible).

When purchasing a meal plan, does it have to be for the same number of nights we are staying at DVC for that trip? I know that is the case in the traditional sense, but not sure if there are any changes with DVC.

Are there ever any specials to DVC members for meal plans, tix, etc? That is, besides the regular dVC discounts?

Any other advice for the newcomers will be greatly appreciated. We are not new to WDW, only to DVC and want to make the most of it.

My closing finally went through on 270 OKW and is listed on the Orange County Comptroller's website. So we are finally DVC owners (took long enough). So, as the new kids on the block, I have a few questions:

When purchasing annual passes (we plan to go more than once a year), how is this accomplished? We want the passes to take effect the day we start our vacation (or as close as possible).

When purchasing a meal plan, does it have to be for the same number of nights we are staying at DVC for that trip? I know that is the case in the traditional sense, but not sure if there are any changes with DVC.

Are there ever any specials to DVC members for meal plans, tix, etc? That is, besides the regular dVC discounts?

Any other advice for the newcomers will be greatly appreciated. We are not new to WDW, only to DVC and want to make the most of it.

You can purchase an AP voucher that becomes an actual annual pass when you start your vacation.

Meal plan must match your reservation and added to the reservation a couple of days before your arrival.

There are some discounts, you can view them on the member website after your account is set up.

:earsboy: Bill

Congratulations! Welcome Home!

We went to Guest Relations at DTD and bought our first APs because we used Chase Rewards but you can call Members Services to purchase and they will give you a # to get your APs at any Guest Relations. They will activate the first time you use them.

Meal plan is the same as a cash stay. Same number of nights, everybody staying in the room. Prices recently went up for the DDP but not for DVC members......yet.

Sadly, not too many discounts. They do offer DVC some special deals occasionally like reduced tickets to the MNSSHP and MVMCP, Cirque de Soleil and last year they did offer us a HUGE PAP deal. It remains to be seen if they repeat the offer.

Have fun with your membership!

Just wanted to chime in about the meal plan. I'm not sure where, or how much, you like to eat, but you might want to consider a Tables in Wonderland Card. It's $100 for a 20% discount at most TS restaurants (and a few CS as well), includes alcohol and is good for a year from activation. We find this saves us more than a meal plan would and doesn't make us feel like we have to order more expensive items or too more food than we normally would just to make it worth while.

Just wanted to chime in about the meal plan. I'm not sure where, or how much, you like to eat, but you might want to consider a Tables in Wonderland Card. It's $100 for a 20% discount at most TS restaurants (and a few CS as well), includes alcohol and is good for a year from activation. We find this saves us more than a meal plan would and doesn't make us feel like we have to order more expensive items or too more food than we normally would just to make it worth while.

BUT, beginning next year there will be changes to the plan that could affect whether or not anyone wants to purchase it. I know just the increase in price alone was trending us to not buy it when we needed it again. Ours is good through October 2013. And the bigger number of black out days also makes it a negative.

Welcome Home! With our most recent AP purchase, I called MS directly and they sent us vouchers. It's a nice deal, particularly if you can make it work for two trips on one AP. There are some DVC discounts on certain nights for some of the special events (MVMCP and MNSSHP).

Regarding the DDP, it is for the length of stay and has to be purchased for each person in the villa and every night of the stay. If you do a split stay in one trip, you can purchase the DDP for only one part of your stay, as long as you have a room change. Some will do that to get the DxDDP for a few days.

I have to second the recommendation for the TIW card. It gives you a 20% discount on food and alcohol at most of the TS restaurants and three CS restaurants at AKV. It works in many of the resort lounges as well. It does have a mandatory 18% gratuity added to the bill, but we usually tip at least that anyway. There are some restricted dates, so you should check out the website before buying it to make sure that you won't be shut out for most of your trip (www.tablesinwonderland.com) .

There are some discounts on things like golf and boat rentals. There is a perk page on the website, once you get access.

You may want to consider an Owner's Locker, which will really change the way you travel to WDW. We keep all kinds of DVC necessities in it from large shampoo to sunscreen, hats, rain ponchos, foil and ziplock bags, tyelnol/ibuprofen and much, much more. There are several threads highlighting the things that people keep in their lockers. There is a DVC discount on the one time membership fee. You have to link from the DVC website to the OL website to get the discount applied to your order.

Enjoy your membership!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter