New MB's???

I mean I have a $20 Donald Duck magicband but no way I would spend $48 on a magicband.

I don't remember how much my Kylo Ren band was... but when my LED ring is Red instead of green and it makes a lightsaber sound instead of the normal ding. So... yeah. I'm cool. :D

No...there's no defense of that either.

The mad world of consumerism run amok

Just saying what is "sad one a whole new level" can depend on the person saying it (pointing 3 fingers back at themselves), compared to the person buying it.

I have never resided in a glass house...if I do something silly or stupid...you won't need to inform me.

As far as the "designer" magic bands...that does seem silly. (Just my opinion) It's a room key and a park ticket (both already highly overpriced)...not a fashion statement.

But whatever..disers gonna dis...

Even if the "puck" remains the same size, it could easily be housed in bands that are narrower than the current bands, such that the puck is the only point where it's that wide. And I'm SURE that Disney will be making customized items to house the puck - bracelets/bangles, lanyards, and I'm sure some other items that I'm not creative enough to think of. :D

Enter the Rodhe Puck Earing....just press your dangling earlobe to the mickey head.....

Wearables in general don't sell as well as their partner the smart phone. When I'm out I see apple watches and fitbits all over. I don't think they are going anywhere I just think nobody knows how to perfect them to the point people will really go crazy for them. Come on Bob wears an Apple Watch with a Mickey face ;) (so do I)

I'd use Apple Pay if my bank was part of the program but it isn't.

I used to wear a Fitbit and an Apple Watch but then my Fitbit took a dive. I know you'll think I'm crazy but I wore an Apple Watch magicband and Fitbit in January at Disney.

Let's just say I like my tech toys...

I have a calculator watch I would sell you.......

Enter the Rodhe Puck Earing....just press your dangling earlobe to the mickey head.....

I'm not taking the bait on this one,dude...

...oh, why not?

"Wouldn't the mean it would cost a billion dollars,have a "research staff" of 300, and have major mechanical flaws that can't be fixed?"

...oh, why not?

"Wouldn't the mean it would cost a billion dollars,have a "research staff" of 300, and have major mechanical flaws that can't be fixed?"
Haters gonna hate.

They don't take research trips of 300 more like a couple dozen. I wouldn't necessarily blame the yeti all on him either but I'm going to far now save this for another thread.

Haters gonna hate.

They don't take research trips of 300 more like a couple dozen. I wouldn't necessarily blame the yeti all on him either but I'm going to far now save this for another thread.

There was a circa 2005 travel channel special about parks that was about 50% about Everest...and they showed pictures of dippy dog backpacking in Nepal with his entourage...I believe there were rumors in the halls of the weboards about the cost and the repeated junkets...

I remember thinking at that time: "gee...couldn't have looked that up in the library, huh?"

So it's been brewing for a longtime. The avatar budget concerns are validation...no matter how you slice it.

Back on topic (blame Dave...he obviously messed with me On this one ;) )

...oh, why not?

Hahaha--- what an awesome response! You left out that it turns your earlobe green....

I have a theory on why Disney may go with this approach over the traditional band. The obvious reason to me is that they'll be able to sell so many different bands to guest it won't be funny. You get your "puck" and a starter band (some generic color) but then they'll offer the special theme, characters, etc magic bands that all you have to do is pop the puck out and stick it in a new band. You can rock Mickey one day and Stitch the other, all without messing with MDE.

And my conspiracy theory on why they are doing it is (puts on flame suit on) is because it will help limit people from creating phantom MDE accounts to get more FPs. They probably won't sell new transmitters in the stores.....only the bands, lanyards, keychains or whatever they come up with to hold the "puck". If you happen to misplace your transmitter you'll have to get it somewhere else. No unlinked bands means no phantom MDE accounts. It won't stop the practice completely but it will make it harder to do.

I have a theory on why Disney may go with this approach over the traditional band. The obvious reason to me is that they'll be able to sell so many different bands to guest it won't be funny. You get your "puck" and a starter band (some generic color) but then they'll offer the special theme, characters, etc magic bands that all you have to do is pop the puck out and stick it in a new band. You can rock Mickey one day and Stitch the other, all without messing with MDE.

And my conspiracy theory on why they are doing it is (puts on flame suit on) is because it will help limit people from creating phantom MDE accounts to get more FPs. They probably won't sell new transmitters in the stores.....only the bands, lanyards, keychains or whatever they come up with to hold the "puck". If you happen to misplace your transmitter you'll have to get it somewhere else. No unlinked bands means no phantom MDE accounts. It won't stop the practice completely but it will make it harder to do.

Wait...how do you even do that? Your ticket is linked to the MB,and I don't think 2 MBs could link to the same unique ticket. (I'm not planning to do it, I just want to know how it works)

Wait...how do you even do that? Your ticket is linked to the MB,and I don't think 2 MBs could link to the same unique ticket. (I'm not planning to do it, I just want to know how it works)

Incorrect...every magic band ever printed/received that was assigned to you can be "active" on your account if you set it as such...it's one of the little "flaws" in the system.

Incorrect...every magic band ever printed/received that was assigned to you can be "active" on your account if you set it as such...it's one of the little "flaws" in the system.

Huh. Thanks. Interesting loophole. But I'd see it as basically an upsell in a way. A magic band is too much money to spend to for just extra fp's...I can't really see a lot of people taking advantage of the "flaw" even if they knew about it.

Wait...the system needs to assign it to you in the first place so you can use it, so why wouldn't it simultaneously disable your previous fastpass? I would think that's a super easy loophole to fix...

Huh. Thanks. Interesting loophole. But I'd see it as basically an upsell in a way. A magic band is too much money to spend to for just extra fp's...I can't really see a lot of people taking advantage of the "flaw" even if they knew about it.

Wait...the system needs to assign it to you in the first place so you can use it, so why wouldn't it simultaneously disable your previous fastpass? I would think that's a super easy loophole to fix...
What they do is create a "phantom" MDE account using a random email (not their main account with tickets and what not linked to it). They then buy unlinked magic bands in the stores. They then link those bands to their phantom MDE account and as long as they are in the park they can get FPs at the kiosks. What this means to everyone else who tends to use the system like it was designed is a lack of FP availability for rides when they get into the parks. You can pre book your 3 FPs however many days out (depending on where you are staying) on your normal account and then get 3 more once you walk into the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter