New Look for Magicbands is official!

AGAIN - What do the "NEW" bands do that the old ones did not? Not getting any real DATA on this.
A "Fashion Statement"? Please, enlighten me :).

Exactly the same thing the old ones did. It's a redesign of the technology so it's in a little removable "hockey puck" to give more options than just having a band on your wrist or a band in your bag. It allows them to be thinner or not a band now. It also allows you to take a favorite band and get a new icon (what disney calls the hockey puck with the technology in it) to put into it and keep using it when the battery is dead. Not everyone wants to wear it on their wrist and disney came up with a solution for that problem.

Apologies if this has already been asked, I've not read the whole thread and search didn't help me...

Are the new bands rolled out already? If not, do we know when it is best to set up magicbands for future stays - i.e. if I did it now with an old style, and the new ones rollout before I arrive, what will I receive when I get there? (I'm in the UK, so can only pick up the band on arrival at the resort)

AGAIN - What do the "NEW" bands do that the old ones did not? Not getting any real DATA on this.
Dean, they don't do anything different. Its just a new form factor for the same capabilities.

Apologies if this has already been asked, I've not read the whole thread and search didn't help me...

Are the new bands rolled out already? If not, do we know when it is best to set up magicbands for future stays - i.e. if I did it now with an old style, and the new ones rollout before I arrive, what will I receive when I get there? (I'm in the UK, so can only pick up the band on arrival at the resort)
No they have not been rolled out yet. They will start going out to AP holders this month.

I had a chance to talk to the magicband team during destination d and while still vague, this is the info I got..

1: Annual passholders who customize at the end of december will be surprised when they receive them in the mail in 2017. Sign up at the very end of the month and basically the first shipments of 2017 will be the new band. It will not indicate your getting the new band when you customize them on the website.

2: resort guests will have to wait longer and it was unclear how long that meant. However it sounds like January we'll be seeing the accessories and for purchase MB2.0s on property to buy. It lead me to believe they don't expect them until spring or summer.

3: the last place to get the new bands will be the customize your own band stations in springs and MK. again unknown.

I purchased an annual pass, but I don't plan to activate it until March. I did just notice that I can personalize my AP magic bands and have them mailed now (even though they aren't activated). I want the new bands, though. Since that option appeared, does that mean that the new AP bands are ready? I don't want to submit and have them mailed yet if they aren't the new bands.

Last edited:

I purchased an annual pass, but I don't plan to activate it until March. I did just notice that I can personalize my AP magic bands and have them mailed now (even though they aren't activated). I want the new bands, though. Since that option appeared, does that mean that the new AP bands are ready? I don't want to submit and have them mailed yet if they aren't the new bands.

Until people start posting they got them, I would say you would not get them. Per the magicband team at disney, don't customize until the very end of december or better yet, wait for jan and you should be in the first batch. your not going until march, wait until people start to post they just received them or early/mid feb. The battery does die after a couple years, it's advantageous to wait as long as possible until you need htem. Unlike resort bands, AP bands ship right after you customize them.

Until people start posting they got them, I would say you would not get them. Per the magicband team at disney, don't customize until the very end of december or better yet, wait for jan and you should be in the first batch. your not going until march, wait until people start to post they just received them or early/mid feb. The battery does die after a couple years, it's advantageous to wait as long as possible until you need htem. Unlike resort bands, AP bands ship right after you customize them.
How are they identified as AP bands?
Just because there's an AP on MDX?

Do you think it appears larger than a wristwatch, for example? I guess if it's lightweight like the new design of the MB's then it wouldn't impact life too much. I thought I saw pucks, or read about it anyway, where they were going to have the time on them, so it would be like wearing a watch. I don't wear watches often, but maybe this was designed to fit more like a watch.

Imo, the risk is probably the same or less as the current design.
Why did the y do this?

I don't know what the general consensus is going to be, but I am half and half with everything.

On one had, I love the idea of having one puck. Only one ID to link, etc.

On the other hand, I can see the troubles with this idea, not just in losing the puck. If I have a blue puck and want to buy a Haunted Mansion style band, putting a blue puck in a purple band is just going to look weird.

I do like how they will be selling key chain clips. I'm sure they will have more ideas so you can rock your magicband (can we even still call them that?) without having to wear it on your wrist.
Why did they make this change?

They start going out to AP holders this month.

They did this for people who don't like to wear things on their wrist.

...and to $ell more wristbands. This way you don't have to program a new magic band, just pop in the old puck. Less hassle for the consumer means more sales for Disney.

...and to $ell more wristbands. This way you don't have to program a new magic band, just pop in the old puck. Less hassle for the consumer means more sales for Disney.

I really don't think thats it. It's not as if the new bands will come without the mickeyhead puck. At least at first anyway. They seriously can't win with some people. It costs money to redesign, test, retest, and change the manufacturing process. Not to mention all the existing stock they have that's the old design. I'm sure the profit margin is pretty good once they get rolling but that takes a while, especially since they give so many away to onsite guests.

Has anyone heard if AP holders be able to pick the new bands up at the parks? Will be activating our AP in a few days and did will not have time to order them online.

Has anyone heard if AP holders be able to pick the new bands up at the parks? Will be activating our AP in a few days and did will not have time to order them online.
I wouldn't expect them to be available just yet. We just renewed our AP 3 days ago but didn't get new MBs.

hopefully they are more comfortable, I always have to wear the current ones with the rigid part on the inside of my wrist so it doesn't feel uncomfortable but that makes it a bit tougher to tap on anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter