New lens for novice

megmatthbeck

Earning My Ears
Hi All!
I am in need of some expert advice. I have a Nikon 3100 with a kit lens and 35 mm prime. I love the crispness of my prime, but I think it might be more difficult to shoot with in Disney and am looking for a new zoom lens. I really only care about taking pictures of my daughter and I am looking at the Nikon 18-35...but it's pricey and I really want to make sure it's what I want. Are there any less expensive options that might serve my purpose? Should I buy used?

When I opened this thread I was going to recommend the 50mm prime. I use that lens (although Canon now, but used to have Nikon) all the time! I've used it all over Disney with my three kids now, twice. I'm sure a zoom gives more variety in shots, but the 50 has worked for me and I love the results. But I'm a prime person and don't even own any zooms. The zoom you're considering sounds like a good option too, although if I were to buy a zoom for Disney it would be more the 24-70 kind.

That's an idea. Maybe I'll keep practicing with my prime. Do you have settings you usually use at Disney?

What are you looking for in a lens besides the ability to zoom?

I'd also consider the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 for a standard zoom on a crop body.

Hi All! I am in need of some expert advice. I have a Nikon 3100 with a kit lens and 35 mm prime. I love the crispness of my prime, but I think it might be more difficult to shoot with in Disney and am looking for a new zoom lens. I really only care about taking pictures of my daughter and I am looking at the Nikon 18-35...but it's pricey and I really want to make sure it's what I want. Are there any less expensive options that might serve my purpose? Should I buy used?

I have a 35mm f1.4 that has been with me on the last 8 trips. I always have a zoom in bag, but it never makes its way out! You will also love that lens for after dark, it's incredible in low light. Personally, I wouldn't run out and get a new lens.

That's an idea. Maybe I'll keep practicing with my prime. Do you have settings you usually use at Disney?

I'm constantly switching my settings, but like a pp said, primes are great for Disney's low light. So I do keep on a low aperture most of the time, but with that just make sure people are on the same plane so no one is blurry. I think the 50 is perfect for parades, rides, BBB, fireworks, and restaurants. Sometimes it's a bit tight and I have to take a few steps back, but I love that focal length. The two camera investments I made prior to our trip included:

1) a Harry Fong diffuser. In most situations, I'm a natural light photographer and never use a flash. At Disney, I hardly ever take off my flash / speed light! So that diffuser is awesome in giving you that soft light with less shadows in all the restaurants, meet n greets etc. I will tell you you will stand out and all the photopass photogs will want to chat it up with you, but your photos will be awesome. I really had to practice the flash before our first trip.

2) a new bag and I think it's the best for Disney! The Lowepro slingshot I think it's called. It's a sling bag that's super carrying cross body all day. The wrong bag can ruin your day in the park! I always get my camera stuff at B&H online.

I carry both the Nikon 50 f/1.8 and Nikon 24-120 f/4 lenses with me. I spend equal time in the parks with both. I like the ability to reach out just a little further when looking at some of the hidden details of the parks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

It really comes down to what it is you're looking for in the lens. Speaking for myself I love shooting with primes. I enjoy that it makes me think more about composition because I can't zoom in or out and have to physically place myself relative to the subject to frame the shot. In addition primes are a very cost effective to get exacting sharpness in a super fast lens.

You were asking about zooms. The sigma 18-35 f1.8 is a great option at a pretty affordable price point, but other than getting you down to the faster 1.8 aperture from a focal length standpoint your kit lens will cover that same range and your 35 is most likely f1.8 as well.

Have you considered going ultra wide? For our upcoming trip I added the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and cannot wait to get in the parks and shoot with it. There is some light distortion, but nothing that can't be corrected with the lens preset in Lightroom.

I'm also a big fan of the 35 f1.8 and couldn't live without my 50mm prime. For great portrait work on a crop body you could look at the 85mm f1.8, but that might be a little long for use in the parks if you want very much Disney in the background because it will have the same field of view as 128mm on a full frame camera.

I use the Cannon T3i and have the following lenses; Tamron 17-50 2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8 and the Cannon 50 1.8. I found that the 50 put me to close on the dark rides so I have decided to get the Sigma 30 1.4. I have also seen the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and it`s got my attention. It`s a lot more money but I kind of like having the flexibility of the range. Are the pictures as good as the 30 prime?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter