New kitchen appliances stainless vs. Black

rapunzal

DIS Veteran
Looking to get new appliances for kitchen. Have been looking at Sears.com. Wondering if it is right to mix a stainless steel stove with a black dishwasher and refrigerator. My refridge size is 18.6...not big at all. I really like the Kenmore Elite black fridge. Do you think I should go the color black with all 3 items...getting the kitchen finished over when hubby's ready to do it...with new cabinets and all. Just wondering what you think? If you have the stainless steel ...what do you like and dislike about it. Right now I have a black and white kitchen...all the white gets so dirty with kids. Thanks

Sorry, I am no help at all but I feel your pain. I have been debating a similar question since my dishwasher died 4 months ago. We have all white appliances but I am considering stainless for resale since all the home shows talk about that. I think that I would prefer black though. I have waited so long because I haven't decided if I should replace everything or just replace the dishwasher in white.

Jen :)

I have a stainless look ("satina") whirlpool fridge and I love love love it! I think it's gorgeous, and the satina resists fingerprints. I have a stainless dishwasher , and I love that too.

I think stainless vs. not is really in the eye of the beholder. I just think it looks modern and stylish.

Incidentally, when we were buying our appliances, we went with AJ Madison (www.ajmadison.com.) They had the absolute best prices I found, and free shipping over $1500 (we got both the fridge and the dishwasher, plus another small item, for 1500 and change). Also, no sales tax since I'm not in NY (where their store is located.) For me, they even beat out the Sears Outlet prices for scratch and dents. it took a couple of weeks to get here, but I was really really pleased.

Good luck!!

I have a stainless front fridge with black sides and top - black shows EVERY SPECK of dust. Just something to think about.

I have a stainless front fridge with black sides and top - black shows EVERY SPECK of dust. Just something to think about.

I do to, it's Kenmore. I love the look of the black Stainless. But keeping the Stainless to look nice w/ a child and a dog is a constant battle. It came with the house when we bought it. If I had a choice knowing what I know now, I'd go all black. JMO

We have stainless and sure I see fingerprints near the handles, etc., but they don't bother me much.

I have stainless/black appliances too. Black shows dust/dirt and stainless shows every smug. both are hard to keep clean

I went with black, when we bought new appliances, but I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years, and stainless just takes me back to those days. :)

I've had both. I hated the black from the moment I put them in. They showed dust, fingerprints, always had streaks etc.

I now have stainless and I love it. After I clean them I spray w/pledge and wipe off. I have 2 small children and I never see fingerprints on my appliances.

I have the shiny black. It looked beautiful when it first went in but in scratches easy, dust is always on it and I hate it. Biggest mistake I ever made. Now I also have black dishwasher and that does not show dust and didnt scratch but the surface material is different. I wish Santa would bring me a new refig.

I've had both. I hated the black from the moment I put them in. They showed dust, fingerprints, always had streaks etc.

I now have stainless and I love it. After I clean them I spray w/pledge and wipe off. I have 2 small children and I never see fingerprints on my appliances.

Ooooh! I like the sound of that. I :love: my stainless, but the fridge does get fingerprints around the handles--and wherever my DS10 touches! I don't know that I would like SS if I had really little kids (mine are 10 & 13) or 'nosy' dogs(mine leave it alone).

What product do you use to clean your SSteel? And do you use regular pledge or that multi-surface stuff? I'd like to give it a try. Overall, I think I like the SS better than the black (and it's hands-down nicer than the bisque I used to have!:lmao: )

What do you think about getting a black fridge and dishwasher and a stainless stove...should I keep all stainless ( I am afraid of the stainless scratching and me going crazy trying to keep it in good shape) which brand to recommend?

What product do you use to clean your SSteel? And do you use regular pledge or that multi-surface stuff? I'd like to give it a try. Overall, I think I like the SS better than the black (and it's hands-down nicer than the bisque I used to have!:lmao: )

I just use the regular aresol can of pledge, lemon, orange, whatever I'm in the mood for. On the back of the can it now says it's safe for stainless, leather, granite etc. I will admit I tried it on the granite last week. Didn't like the results. But I LOVE it on stainless.

What do you think about getting a black fridge and dishwasher and a stainless stove...should I keep all stainless ( I am afraid of the stainless scratching and me going crazy trying to keep it in good shape) which brand to recommend?

My stove is the only thing that is scratched, but on stainless it's not so bad (IMO). On my black stove it looked horrible after it was scratched, I cried the day my housekeeper did it.

My stainless dishwasher has no scratches at all. My fridge (satina, stainless look) has a couple of small scratches on the side, not noticeable though. Not sure what caused them. But I can't really notice them.

I love stainless and had it in my last home, with 3 kids it drove me crazy constantly cleaning the fingerprints.

When we had my current home I debated whether I should get stainless again. The sales rep at Sears told me about the new line of Fridgidaire professional series appliances. The stainless is treated so that it doesn't show fingerprints and wipes down with a damp cloth, no chemicals. It's awesome! I hardly ever see fingerprints.

We have a stainless/black stove, microhood & fridge & black DW. The stainless pieces all have black handles so I figure they all blend together. If I had my choice again, I would have picked all white.

The black DW is fine & easy to wipe down. The fridge is clean steel and not hard to clean. However, the black top of the fridge shows dust so easily. It's that bumpy look so really hard to wipe down quickly & get all the crevices.

The stove is a royal PITA. The stainless is not clean steel so it's hard to wipe & the frame around the window is particularly tough because it shows all smudges if I don't carefully wipe completely horizontally. The top is all black as opposed to the black/white speckles on the white stoves. Why couldn't they use the same speckled look?? The black top also shows all dust/specks/any tiny crumb.

Good luck w/your shopping!

We have stainless fridge, dishwasher, oven, microwave and my simple human trash can:) ... the fingerprints and smudges drive me nuts! It was all here ('cept my trash can, and I love that despite the smudges!) when we bought our house. I loved the look, but not the upkeep. Maybe when my kids are older and "less sticky" it will be better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter