New Kiosk @ DAK For Food Allergy Info

Gluten free beer? :scared:

Otherwise this seems like a good idea. Maybe they also figure that it might require less chefs to come out to talk to people too.

There is Gluten Free beer -- I don't know if DIsney has it or not but I know local to me spots that have it - not sure what this comment was about.

Liz

Actually, we all understand how serious it is. But maybe you don't understand how readily available the info is. There's a phone number and plenty of Websites that have info on dining at Disney (at TS, QS and kiosks) with allergies.

I have a severe life threatening allergy to shellfish. Could you please tell me where I can find information on whether or not, for example, the sweet and sour chicken at the Yak and Yeti counter service is fried in the same oil as the fried shrimp served in the main Yak and Yeti restaurant? Am I safe eating the fried fish from Columbia Harbor House, or was in fried in the same grease as the shrimp was? I have no reservations about my safety when I eat at TS restaurants at Disney, but I do tend to shy away from some QS eateries because some employees seem a little unsure about this information, so I just don't take the chance.

I have a severe life threatening allergy to shellfish. Could you please tell me where I can find information on whether or not, for example, the sweet and sour chicken at the Yak and Yeti counter service is fried in the same oil as the fried shrimp served in the main Yak and Yeti restaurant? Am I safe eating the fried fish from Columbia Harbor House, or was in fried in the same grease as the shrimp was? I have no reservations about my safety when I eat at TS restaurants at Disney, but I do tend to shy away from some QS eateries because some employees seem a little unsure about this information, so I just don't take the chance.

With a life threatening allergy if the staff is unsure I sure wouldn't trust random advice from message boards, no matter how well intentioned, what if it is wrong information ??

If I couldn't talk to a chef in your situation I would only do TS where I could speak with a chef

We use counter service often, even with my son having multiple life threatening allergies. We do eat off times. When we get to the register they hand us a book & notify someone in the kitchen who comes and talks to us. They usually have some kind of manager walk his food through.

HTH!

http://allears.net/din/special.htm is a good place to start. It's where I start when I have question regarding my own allergies. I have Crohn's Disease and have had seven surgeries over the past decade and a half. So there are a laundry list of things I can't eat and most of those things could threaten my life. You can also email or call the special diets team at Disney, they are great about answering questions (no detail has ever been too small for them).

Phone: (407) 824-5967
Email: specialdiets@disneyworld.com

The bottom line is watch who you get snippy with because you have absolutely no idea what ANYONE on these boards have been through. And I shouldn't have to tell you if there's shellfish in the Yak and Yeti sauce when Disney can so easily give you an official ingredients list.

We are going in a little over a week. We are most likely going to AK for one am and I want to say it will be August 5th.

Hopefully we will get to try this out.

FYI, my son has a few allergys-dairy, peanut, tree nut and egg whites.

I have contacted special diets and got the generic list of food but it is on 3 links so I have to do what we do at ruby Tuesdays and keep flipping pages.

This kiosk would be so nice. I can remember when we went 5 years ago and I wanted a pretzel from Germany. Now for a non food allergic person that would be easy, go up and order and go on your merry way eating the pretzel. That was not the case for me (well my ds but he was 4 so I was asking for him). The girl at the pretzel cart didn't have a book. I had to go into the restaurant, ask the cm who had to get the manager or the chef or both. Then they spoke with me, left, came back with a print out of the recipe. I want to say a simple 2 minute ordering of a pretzel took 30-45 minutes. My husband was wondering what happened to me as he was holding our spot for wishes.

So for anyone who thinks this is a waste, I think not. It will. It only help people with food allergies bit those with intolerances as well as those who are vegan or follow certain religious diets.

I recently found a BOG lunch menu on the official Disney website that listed the allergens in each item. I was so excited to see this, but could not find anything similar for other restaurant locations. I emailed special diets to see if this information was available online for other counter service restaurants, as I like to be ready to order when I reach the cashier. Unfortunately I received the typical response to speak with the chef at each location. I hope this kiosk is helpful and expands to other parks.

Tammy

Folks, let's keep the conversation civil and refrain from name-calling and making personal attacks.

They make everything in a separate area of the kitchen with no cross contamination for allergies. You just have to get a manager to write up your allergy order. The manager can give you all the answers you need. You simply tell the cashier you have an allergy order and they call for one.

http://allears.net/din/special.htm is a good place to start. It's where I start when I have question regarding my own allergies. I have Crohn's Disease and have had seven surgeries over the past decade and a half. So there are a laundry list of things I can't eat and most of those things could threaten my life. You can also email or call the special diets team at Disney, they are great about answering questions (no detail has ever been too small for them).

Phone: (407) 824-5967
Email: specialdiets@disneyworld.com

The bottom line is watch who you get snippy with because you have absolutely no idea what ANYONE on these boards have been through. And I shouldn't have to tell you if there's shellfish in the Yak and Yeti sauce when Disney can so easily give you an official ingredients list.

Not being snippy with anyone. Simply curious where I can find said websites that state clear allergy information for counter service restaurants. I am familiar with allears.net and as a nurse practitioner, I am quite aware of dietary restrictions. Just curious where I can find the information you said is available online.

They make everything in a separate area of the kitchen with no cross contamination for allergies. You just have to get a manager to write up your allergy order. The manager can give you all the answers you need. You simply tell the cashier you have an allergy order and they call for one.

Thank you for this information.

Actually, we all understand how serious it is. But maybe you don't understand how readily available the info is. There's a phone number and plenty of Websites that have info on dining at Disney (at TS, QS and kiosks) with allergies.

And a great deal of the information that is posted online is out of date. And talking to people on the phone a month or two ahead is not going to handle ingredient changes that happened in the meantime.

And a great deal of the information that is posted online is out of date. And talking to people on the phone a month or two ahead is not going to handle ingredient changes that happened in the meantime.

Yes, but it's a good starting place for the education, so you're not cold-calling with no frame of reference for what to ask for. At least forme, I like to see what's out there and formulate specific questions based on that. I don't think you'll find a single person who would bet their life on info found online. But every one of these websites and threads tells you to call or speak with the specific chef where you're eating.

I suspect that Minniemum and Missyrose's accounts have been hacked, because having known the two of them (over the boards) for some time, I know them as very kind and helpful posters. There are very few things that I have zero tolerance for and scolding people with allergies is one of those things.

Im excited that it will have special snacks.

My hope is that they will have real up to date info about what various locations have. Last fall we had the lists from special diets but found them useless, as the rare items DS could have were often not where they were supposed to be. The only snack we found for him our entire 2 weeks was at babycakes.
I contacted special diets and got a bunch of responses that they didnt know anything I was asking about. No information about preparation at different locations and they told me every CS could serve us... we were turned away and told to go other places when we were there. Considering that I spent dozens of hours researching allergy food alone for that trip I cant believe anybody would think its laziness if I am knowledgeable enough to know a site like allears is useless if you have multiple needs.

I have no food allergies that I know of, but sure seems like a great addition. Hope it expands to the other parks after a successful AK test.

Well that derailed in a hurry! I have an anaphylactic child and I'm used to statements of intolerance, but I didn't expect it here. Disney has always demonstrated leadership in providing a safe environment for guests with food allergies. Travelling with anaphylaxis is scary. We feel important and taken care of at Disney, but I'm sure that it helps Disney's bottom line to be and their policies don't come from pure altruism. I welcome and applaud the change and think it will be useful for getting the most up to date information.

I have no idea why DAK was chosen but if I was to speculate I would say it has more items available that generate concerns (soy, sesame) but of course it is a guess!

My dd has severe food allergies - peanuts, milk and eggs. I'm thrilled that WDW is attentive to guests with food allergies - it's one of the reasons we keep returning. I am frankly surprised to read the negative, ignorant comments concerning food allergies. This kiosk could potentially save a life and you're complaining about it?? I don't understand. And yes, we too do our research but ingredients change.

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

I think it sounds wonderful, especially your additions! What an amazing concept, to actually KNOW what we're putting into our bodies! How awesome would that be, to truly know?

Disney has always been very good about allergies and even about choices; I spent an hour on the phone once with a chef at DisneyLAND, who explained their philosophy of how they make things (for instance, if they are making refried beans, they make them without animal fat b/c that allows vegetarians and vegans, along with those of various religions, to eat the beans, and they taste pretty much the same as they would normally...it allows for the most amount of people to enjoy the food). WDW is even better about it (though I'm not sure that WDW had ever made a raw vegan lasagna like the Chef had the night before I talked with him at Napa Rose).

So this is wonderful, and making additions for those with religious issues about ingredients, along with those of us who haven't eaten meat in 21 years and aren't planning to today (can you say severely ill?), makes us HAPPY!!!!!

I don't know what there is to rub anyone in the wrong way about the kiosk.

And their reason? To serve more people and help them out. Those things bring them more money.

Even if you do research beforehand, you're still going to ask for the ingredient book at Casey's, because in the meantime they could have changed suppliers. That's just how it is. So I ask you, do you want to be in line behind me as I take the few extra minutes to read the ingredients and figure out what I can/can't eat? or would you rather rush by me waiting in line at the special diets kiosk, mock my gimpy intestines, and get your hot dog a little faster?

Exactamundo.

Gluten free beer? :scared:

Redbridge is the brand I've had. Kept my face from going all red like it does sometimes when I drink beer. While I don't know of any gluten problem I have, there was that difference when I drink that brand vs other brands.

And after having a few (not all at once, but without having a gluten-filled beer in the meantime) you get used to the somewhat different taste.

Isn't it weird that you have to worry about gluten in beer? But it's based on what they make it from, I assume. Just like a friend of mine had vodka the other night and ended up being extra sick because it was a brand of vodka that makes it from something with gluten in it. Different brand of vodka = different base for the alcohol = she's not sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter