New job & Cruising...

Tigger98

Mouseketeer
I will be on the Aug 31 Wonder sailing. I am going for a 2nd interview tomorrow. My questions is: Has anyone ever accepted a new job prior to sailing? If so, how did you inform your new employer of the trip?

Thank you so much DISers.

I've never done it but when offered the job I would just inform them that you have a trip already booked and paid for and would need that time off (either paid or unpaid).

Have they asked you yet when you could start? If not, I would ask them when they plan on making a decision and having someone in place. If they ask you when you can start, tell them you need a few weeks to get things in order and have a family trip planned. Since it is a short cruise, it shouldn't be too problematic at all. Most people have to give at least two weeks notice if they have a job already and you're pretty close to that point. If they make the decision next week, you'll be in that two week window if you start as soon as you get back.
Note- I took a new job with a 17 day trip to Italy planned two months later. They had no problems with that as I let them know up front.

If/when you are asked when you can start the new job, mention your vacation plans. Seven years ago when I was hired in my current position in a law firm, I told the interviewers that I had a 7 day (DCL) cruise planned. They hired me, I started work 5 weeks before the cruise, and took days off for the cruise without pay.

Jan

My wife was in the same situation, but a little longer notice period before the cruise. She let them know in the interview that we had it planned and they did not have any problems at all and aprpeciated letting them know. She got the job and we are going in December!

I have started several jobs with vacation plans already in place. Just let the interviewer know that you have a trip already arranged and paid for -- as long as you let them know early and upfront, they usually won't have any problem (now, if you are interviewing to be a mall Santa :santa: and tell them you aren't available for December, THEN you might have a problem!). Don't expect to get paid time off though.

DH started a new job just a month before our July 4 vacation. He informed them up front, took the time without pay, and had no problems. I agree with previous posters. If you tell them up front, I don't think you'll have a problem.

If they give you a hard time, do you really want to work for someone that doesn't let you hang with the Mouse anyway?:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter