NEW GREAT SWAP/SMILEY DEBATE(former "Pop Will .... Fridges For Swap?" thread)

Seriously, I think disney could just add $1 service fee (think like the airlines ok?) to all the values for one year, and fridges paid for -

When disney wants to make money, they raise prices

Oh, I agree with you, don't worry! :) WE of course would be paying for those fridges in higher room rates.

I doubt that they have enough demand now from people willing to pay whatever it is per night for a fridge - ten or twelve dollars I think? But if they put them in all the rooms, and raised rates a few dollars a night, they would be covered in a year.

exactly parkers*momma. I don't get why people want to come in with negativity on a thread when someone is trying to find a solution to a problem. Yes, it is a public message board, but why come upset everyone if you don't even have anything to do with the issue?

Honestly, sometimes I feel the only reason people log in is to spread negativity. Like you mom used to say "If you can't say something nice....." It seems all some people are interested in is scolding for something they deem wrong.*sigh*

Honestly, sometimes I feel the only reason people log in is to spread negativity. Like you mom used to say "If you can't say something nice....." It seems all some people are interested in is scolding for something they deem wrong.*sigh*

I don't see a lot of negativity. REALITY maybe, but NO one has bashed you for starting a swap. No one has said swaps are bad. We have said that we are suprised Disney is basically faciliting these things. They cost Disney money. And it's not just the "rent" on the fridges. Disney has to pay those bell service people, more volume means more people are needed. Time spent delivering fridges is time not spent delivering DME luggage, once again leading to either irrate guests or the need to pay more people to meet the demand..... . That's not "negative" it's just an observation.

The negativity I see is from the folks who thought that they could "control" the direction of a thread and are now unhappy that you can't.

Just out of curiosity I went and looked at some of the swap schedules. Some of those fridges are spending several days a month just hanging around a luggage area. Now I bet that's also where Disney keeps the fridges they rent, I KNOW it's where they keep the TONS of luggage that comes in on DME so those rooms are probably crowded. Remember that at the value resorts they were ALL built before the implementation of DME and probably had dramatically LESS luggage being stored before then they do now.

Er, actually I thought that Sandy, CarolA and I were having an interesting discussion about the cost of placing fridges in all the rooms and what it would mean in terms of room rates. I think that is a positive discussion as it would remove the need for these type of swaps. :)

yeah that. We ended up at a little roach motel in a hick town on the way home from Disney on our first trip. We were surprised to see that it had a fridge after we had been loading our cooler with ice several times a day at Disney.

Perhaps a BETTER question would be

"Why is it that you were willing to pay Disney MORE money for less?"

The truth is that Disney is booking those resorts pretty full. So why should they "add" things that they don't need to sell rooms? From thier point of view it makes sense. From mine?? Not so much.

I have a short trip coming up in Oct.
Hotel options

1. Marriott Courtyard Lake Buena Vista. Two room suite with kitchette... $89 a night
2. Disney value $99.

Hmm..... I went with the Marriott. Disney wasn't providing the value, service etc. However, I am not in the majority on here, they would have gone Pop because "it's Disney and it's got themeing etc" I rent a car either way so transports not really an issue.

As long as they keep the rooms full, they aren't adding things! They don't need to. Hotels add things to get guests to come, not because they love us! (They don't, they love our money!)

Remember too that until recently, not all rooms at WDW resorts had hairdryers, or irons/boards, which are pretty much standard in North American hotel rooms. And moderates only had coffee makers placed a few years ago, which are still not in value resorts.

Plus all those items add labour cost to clean and maintain, and of course we will be paying those costs in higher room rates.

I think the reason the OP was addressing certain issues with this thread is Because it IS getting off topic.

I don't know LISADR, this is the first I've been on a thread she has started but she IS addressing a possible real problem and seeking answers to that problem on what to do with swaps. This thread has gotten WAY OFF TOPIC.

A possible solution for the swaps might be a person to person which is extremely difficult at this time since the swaps are already set but here is an idea. If there are several different swap at one hotel (Pop) and there is a lag on one of the swaps (SWAP #1), maybe one of the other swaps (SWAP#2) would be interested in picking it up and keeping it in their room until the next swapper (FROM SWAP #1) could get there.

DIS was created for many reason...but the main reason was to HELP each us and each other out with tips, discounts, etc. Granted, doing it this way would take a lil time from the vacationer BUT some might be willing to do it to help other dis'ers out and keep the swaps going.

I think it is simple economics for Disney not to provide fridges in their rooms - if you have a fridge - you buy more food off property and spend less at their restaraunts and counters.

So they want you to either pay extra for the fridge, upgrade to a mod or deluxe or spend money on food in the parks. There is a reason they call them value resorts.

I can't imagine the few swaps going on would be enough for them to decide that they want to stop them or buy fridges - I imagine IF they decide to stop them it has more to do with Bell Services complaining about not being tipped or it being too big of a hassle.

Hi Lisa - I stayed at POFQ in June. We used a scooter rented from an off-site source. When we returned it to luggage services, and asked for a receipt, they said they no longer give out receipts for anything other than items they are holding for guests (like luggage or other personal items that guests will pick up). I wanted proof that we left the scooter with them, but they refused.

Also, I was a swap leader (not started by me - I "inherited" it) until recently, when our fridge was lost. Some of my swappers reported that luggage services at the All Star resorts were refusing to give receipts for the fridges.

As for banning fridge swaps, it may be true, but I've heard that rumor ever since they started.

Hi Lisa - I stayed at POFQ in June. We used a scooter rented from an off-site source. When we returned it to luggage services, and asked for a receipt, they said they no longer give out receipts for anything other than items they are holding for guests (like luggage or other personal items that guests will pick up). I wanted proof that we left the scooter with them, but they refused.

Also, I was a swap leader (not started by me - I "inherited" it) until recently, when our fridge was lost. Some of my swappers reported that luggage services at the All Star resorts were refusing to give receipts for the fridges.

As for banning fridge swaps, it may be true, but I've heard that rumor ever since they started.

I think you are the first to respond to the OP!! :woohoo:

"Folks are using them as a free storage site, and that's just not right."

"Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control"

"there was more 'other stuff' in there than luggage. I was quite ticked,"

"Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility."

I am noticing a bit of negativity in regards to swaps. As for myself-yes-I am guilty of responding to snarky remarks that are totally uncalled for. I simply asked a question and a lot of people jumped in feeling the need to defend Disney or down on swaps. But what I don't get is, if it does not affect you beyond you personal opinion-why keep going, and going, and going:confused3

I could keep responding to the posters who feel then need to keep harping, but then it becomes a new thread altogether, and I have little interest in it. So, feel free to post, of course this is a public forum, knock yourselves out. I will simply sift through and get the info I need, and ignore the rest. It rest doesn't interest me anymore and it just gets nastier and nastier:guilty:

To any swap leaders or posters who are also trying to communicate and get info from this thread-I apologize for the static. Sometimes you just gotta tune it out:sad2:

Thank you so much for the info. It is especially good to know, being new to Dis boards, swaps, and being a swap leader that this "rumor" has been going around awhile. It is just that since we just started, everybody in the swap has put $$ into it and I don't want to see them go without.

Thanks again for the info:goodvibes

:idea: Just an idea...:duck:
We could start a co-op for the fridges...
When you sign up for a fridge swap you agree
that you may have to hold another fridge for a day or two.
We could help each other out and serve a go betweens
for each others swaps...
Or atleast ask swappers if they would be willing to help out...
The only problem would be in the slow times if no one has swappers.
In our swap we work very hard to find swappers to fill gaps.
Maybe we could send the Fridge as a package to the next swapper...:lmao:
Will they still hold those for two weeks...

Of Course the Ultimate Solution would be for POP to put Fridges in all the rooms
or atleast lower the Fee.:goodvibes

:idea: Just an idea...:duck:
We could start a co-op for the fridges...
When you sign up for a fridge swap you agree
that you may have to hold another fridge for a day or two.
We could help each other out and serve a go betweens
for each others swaps...
Or atleast ask swappers if they would be willing to help out...
The only problem would be in the slow times if no one has swappers.
In our swap we work very hard to find swappers to fill gaps.
Maybe we could send the Fridge as a package to the next swapper...:lmao:
Will they still hold those for two weeks...

Of Course the Ultimate Solution would be for POP to put Fridges in all the rooms
or atleast lower the Fee.:goodvibes

It's not bad idea, but I would not want to organize that:laughing: I have enough trouble keeping track of my own-lol. But I know there are super organized people out there who could do it no problem. I had though about something similar with filling dates. I have seen people asking if the swap leaders knew of any swaps with open dates, because that swap didn't have their dates available, and I was thinking that if we could communicate between each other we could "refer" people to each other. But again-who's gonna keep track of that master list-:lmao:

Quick question, how long has your swap been going?

I know it has been asked for before...:goodvibes
But if we had a swap board just for swaps...
It would make it easier and it would also please
the anti-swapper people :duck: who are tired of looking at us...

I know it has been asked for before...:goodvibes
But if we had a swap board just for swaps...
It would make it easier and it would also please
the anti-swapper people :duck: who are tired of looking at us...

I have to give you a :worship: for such a great idea, and a :rotfl2: for the rest!

I agree these people should be tipped and taken care of. I had a friend to do her intership down there and said sometimes people take advantage of the employess at WDW. But when Walt Disney was alive he was into customer service at the resorts and the park. For people to leave the items for the next swapper should be a customer service. As is it for me to send a box down there before i get there so i don't have to get charged for it on the airlines. That is customer service to hold it for me be it a few days to a couple of weeks. I know they are there to make money, but if they stop swaps, it may cut back on the people who visit or stay on site.

Both sides need to work together to keep swaps going.

I know they are there to make money, but if they stop swaps, it may cut back on the people who visit or stay on site.

:lmao: That will never happen. For every person who decides to stay off-site, there are probably five more who will fight for the opportunity to stay on-site. I think perks like transportation & EMH far outweigh a fridge swap. If you want a fridge, save the money and rent or pay for a Mod. If the values had the same amenities as the mod and deluxe hotels, Disney wouldn't be able to book as many rooms in mod & deluxe. At the end of the day, it's all about the almighty dollar. You can only hope that Disney will give great customer service while you dish out your last dollar to them.

To the PPs' who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders and swap members what they had heard or their experiences. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Thank you very much:)

Wow!- sorry that I went off-topic. I hope someone can help answer your question. OOPs- I guess I just did it again.

Look at it this way, at least people posting are keeping it on the first page until somebody comes along who can answer your question.

I say lets not get off topic ! As a swapper I hope Disney doesn't stop our swaps. I always tip and had no problems picking up my swap items with LS. I did not ask for or get a receipt. Is this a new thing we are doing !That may be he problem asking them to find the swapitem and then make out a receipt . Just a thought!! I wont comment on the Nay sayers they have the right to their opinion. But this thread should stay on topic !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter