• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEW! Favorite DVC Resorts Poll Inside WDW

New Polls on Favorite DVC Resorts Inside WDW

• Old Key West

• BoardWalk Villas

• Beach Club Villas

• The Villas at Wilderness Lodge

• Saratoga Springs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maistre Gracey said:
Once again, VWL is bringing up the rear. Although it doesn't appeal tp the masses, I believe two things:

1) It is many people's second favorite.

And more importantly-

2) Those of us who love it, have a deeper affection for it than others have for their #1 choice.

Just my opinion... :smokin:

MG
MG....I've always been heartened to see these poll results. Who needs more people wanting to make reservations at our favorite spot? :)

Your second point gets close to my own opinion...that the powerful theming at WL/VWL tends to polarize people. Either they really, really like it or they really don't see any appeal in the darker decor and woodsy feel.

With its strong theming, my guess is that VAKL will end up being viewed similarly as VWL, though having many more owners will help it out in the polls. :)

Granny said:
MG...Your second point gets close to my own opinion...that the powerful theming at WL/VWL tends to polarize people. .... :)

I love the theming at VWL. It's just that the HEAT and HUMIDITY of WDW ruin it for me. I lived in the NW US for 2 years and it just ain't that hot and humid. I've seen snow in August. So I can't buy into it.

Now AKL may be different, as I would expect Africa to make me sweat. All they'll need to add is Tsetse flies and malaria.

OneMoreTry said:
I love the theming at VWL. It's just that the HEAT and HUMIDITY of WDW ruin it for me. I lived in the NW US for 2 years and it just ain't that hot and humid. I've seen snow in August. So I can't buy into it.
We always go in the summer, and admittedly the heat does mess with the theming somewhat. However, if you find a cool spot on the verandah with a cold adult beverage, the theming definitely takes hold! :thumbsup2

Good point about the heat playing into the VAKL theme. I'll pass on the malaria and tse tse flies though! :rolleyes:

Granny said:
Your second point gets close to my own opinion...that the powerful theming at WL/VWL tends to polarize people. Either they really, really like it or they really don't see any appeal in the darker decor and woodsy feel.

I agree. I totally "get" VWL. I love it :love: , even in August. My kids do not share my love. DH thought it was "okay".

My father, who we took with us, loved it as much as I do. He is a collector of native American artifacts. I grew up with vacation=state parks and lakes in my mind (and heart, I suppose). My only on-property Disney vacation as a child was to Fort Wilderness (and tent camping!) It made a huge impression on me.

While the kids are smallish, I can settle for just visiting every now and then. I do love most of the other resorts in their own way, they just aren't WLV. SSR is the one resort everyone in my family ranks as either #1, or #2, so it's a very good home for us.

I'm excited to see AKV. BWV is a great resort, but EPCOT and MGM are our least favorite Disney parks, and are not where we spend the majority of our time, so the proximity issue does not really mean anything to us (if anything, the bus-sharing makes the EPCOT resorts more inconvenient for the way we tour). We all really, really love AK, so I think a resort with proximity to that park would fit our touring style very well.

I love heat. I wish it could always be 90+ degrees. :)
The heat and humidity do not blow the VWL theme for me, especially if you recall how cold they keep the hallways at VWL! :cold:

I am such a nerd :teeth:... I make my family stop talking and walk lightly while in the VWL atrium, just so I can hear the music!
I have been known to stand in the foyer area at WL just listening to the music. They seem to play it louder there, probably as a first impression for new guests.

I have always said that the three resorts that lend themselves to the heaviest theming would be WL, AKL, and The Poly.

..... Two down, one to go! :thumbsup2

MG

"Powerful themeing!" -(thanks Granny!)

I repeat myself, not being members of DVC or even knowing what truly was happening, I watched the VWL go up and thought, "If we were rich, maybe we could be lucky enough to stay there."

Now we get to pay taxes on the place!!!

Bobbi :love:

starbox said:
I agree. I totally "get" VWL. I love it :love: , even in August. My kids do not share my love. DH thought it was "okay".

My father, who we took with us, loved it as much as I do. He is a collector of native American artifacts. I grew up with vacation=state parks and lakes in my mind (and heart, I suppose). My only on-property Disney vacation as a child was to Fort Wilderness (and tent camping!) It made a huge impression on me.

....Snip.

That's it!! You just nailed why I love VWL SO MUCH. Because I also associate vacation with lakes and woods. I never really thought about it before now. That whole summer vacation type of theme, but every time I visit VWL!!!

I wish some day we who are more than enthusiastic about VWL could all plan a meet there. How fun would that be???

Sit around and just take in the theming...... :love:

Muushka said:

I wish some day we who are more than enthusiastic about VWL could all plan a meet there. How fun would that be???

Sit around and just take in the theming...... :love:

OK!

Bobbi

OKW is our home away from home resort of choice. Love the size of the villas and just feel comfortable there. Really enjoy spending time there over the Independence Day. pirate:

However during the F&W festival we like being walking distance from Epcot WS.
Stayed at BW for the 1st time in years last month and a had a great time. :sunny:

I was really surprised to see SSR rated so highly, based on the mixed reviews I've heard here. However, I can't help but wonder how skewed this poll might be, since my guess is that the majority of people who frequent these boards are relatively new members, owners at SSR, and loyal to their home (as most members probably are).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter