• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Expanded Panama Canal Locks Filling with Water

Sorry if this news has already been posted....but it appears that the new expanded Panama Canal locks are being filled with water in preparation for testing. Woohoo! I assume this will give DCL more flexibility for which ships go through the canal for West Coast or Alaska cruises.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article25717330.html
Eventually. It's going to take a while to fill the locks. And then there's testing to be done.

Can the bigger ships even fit into the Alaskan ports? When we cruised a couple week ago it seemed like the Wonder was larger than the other ships.

Can the bigger ships even fit into the Alaskan ports? When we cruised a couple week ago it seemed like the Wonder was larger than the other ships.
Most ships in the Alaska market are the size of the Wonder or smaller. But, some ports can accommodate larger ships, I believe. But not all.

The Celebrity Solstice docks in the same Alaskan ports as the Wonder and is a bigger post-Panamax ship. It's almost the same size as the Dream/Fantasy in total Gross Tonnage, but is not quite as long or wide. It's possible that it's at the far edge of what is reasonable for Alaska, which would make the Dream or Fantasy just a hair too big.

Captain Puckett (retired Panama Canal Pilot who lectures about the canal on the PC cruises) speculated on this year's WBPC that Disney will not put any ship through the new locks. They won't be using locomotives in the new locks, only tub boats. He thinks there is significant additional risk of damage to the ships because of this change. Mind you, this was purely his speculation. But it left everyone who was at his lecture wondering what Disney will do once the new locks open.

When we were on the May 24, 2014 Alaskan cruise onboard the Wonder, we went to the Gold/Platinum reception where we could ask questions of the Captain and Cruise Director. One question was, "When will the Wonder undergo the extensive rehab the Magic did?" and we were told not until the new larger locks were done. The Wonder is the only ship in the Disney fleet that can still fit through the original locks. Once the ducktail was put on the back of the Magic, it can no longer fit through the original PC.

This would indicate that once the new locks are open, DCL will upgrade the Wonder, add the ducktail, and begin using the new locks. Perhaps Captain Puckett was speculating about the Dream/Fantasy, which would be a tighter fit in the new locks than the Magic/Wonder. I can't see DCL not using the new locks with the smaller ships. They will want to upgrade the Wonder to match her sister ship, the Magic. They will want to continue to visit the west coast and Alaska. Therefore they cannot keep themselves confined to the old locks.

I cannot see any of the other ships going to Alaska. The Wonder has the modifications for the colder weather.

pardon my ignorance - will the old locks still be there alongside the old locks?

pardon my ignorance - will the old locks still be there alongside the old locks?

Yes both will run.

The Panama Canal Expansion is the largest project at the Canal since its original construction. The project will create a new lane of traffic along the Canal through the construction of a new set of locks, doubling the waterway’s capacity. The existing locks allow the passage of vessels that can carry up to 5,000 TEUs. After the expansion the Post-Panamax vessels will be able to transit through the Canal, with up to 13,000 TEUs. The Expansion will double the Canal’s capacity, having a direct impact on economies of scale and international maritime trade.
The Program consists of several components:

• New Locks (Third Set of Locks)
• Pacific Access Channel
• Improvement of Navigational Channels (Dredging)
• Improvements to Water Supply
The Panama Canal expansion is based on six years of research, which included more than 100 studies on the economic feasibility, market demand, environmental impact and other technical engineering aspects. Works on the Panama Canal Expansion began on September 2007 at a total cost of US$5.2 billion.

Once the new locks are operational they'll need to do some work on the old locks. The concrete walls of the old locks are crumbling and coming apart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter