• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new(est) member needs help!

vinny&lynn

Earning My Ears
we're on the fence.

join or not to join.

i will need to take out the loan through disney.

i'm considering buying into bay lake towers site unseen.

what are the current incentives to buy now?

i was referred by a co-worker. any additional incentive for me as a referral
or to my referrer?

any help would be appreciated. i only know what i've read on the various websites.

Seems to me just our opinions here on disboards will not be enough. We can give you solid information but remember most of us here are biased because we love it and bought in!

My fiance and I researched it for 2 years. Finally we took a tour to see the rooms. That did it for me. Many people here bought sight unseen and I may have too...but I really liked to see what I was spending $16k on!

The incentives right now are developer points (if you buy 160 points disney will match 160 points for use by Oct 09) and $1000 off. However, incentives come and go...dont jump in just because of them you will regret it.

Also...this will start a "should you finance an un-needed item" conversation. I will state...that is your own personal opinion.

When it comes down to it:
Do you go to Disney every year or every other year? For 160 points at preferred financing it is 204 a month...can you afford that AND the yearly dues comfortably? Do you prefer only to stay in deluxes? Do you always see yourself going to the Dis?

Call guide...get a points book. Look at what type of villa you would stay in (stuido, 1 bed..etc) and the time of year you would most likley go..etc. Thats how many points you will need. Cut it in half if you go every other year.

One more thing...Points are going up by like 8 a point or something in the middle of Jan for AKV and the buy in for BLT is going up to a minimum of 200 points..

we're on the fence.

join or not to join.

or to my referrer?

any help would be appreciated. i only know what i've read on the various websites.

I'm a Bay Lake owner :banana: and excited about the new DVC resort. My family is younger children so we're excited about proximity to MK and the monorail.

To answer some of your questions -
Current incentives are matching developer points to be used at Saratoga Springs Resort before 10/3/09.

I would finance as little as possible to buy the points, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as referrals, your co-worker will get a referral check upon closing.

Lastly, my advice as far as buying site unseen, is make sure you do your research and that you're in love with BLT. It's a bit more upfront cost with lower monthly fees, but the resale market is flooded with other resorts right now that have points for sale (which could save you some money). However, nobody knows how popular BLT is going to be to reserve at the 11 and 7 month marks.

Good luck deciding................

Let's see, many people have bought site unseen. I however am in the other camp in that I prefer to at least see the models before purchasing. Do you have a trip planned soon so that you could check out the models at SSR for AKV and BLT?

On financing, as another poster mentioned you will see lots of debates on these boards about whether financing should be done. My opinion is that it is up to you and how DVC fits in to your financial picture. I ended up paying cash for my initial buy and one add-on and I financed my other add-on. If you finance, you can make extra payments from the DVC website if you want.

we're on the fence.

join or not to join.

or to my referrer?

Research, ask lots of questions & do so until you are comfortable with the entire scenario; imho DVC should be something that fits a prosepctive buyer's situation & not by a prospective buyer trying to make their situation fit DVC.

Try to stay at DVC resort(s) you're considering before purchasing. Most will advise buy where you love to stay MOST; good advice! why contend with buying where you may not truly want to be?

And where you purchase your points gives you 11 month booking advantage which may be important especially if you are regularly able to plan trips more than 7 months in advance (8 - 11 months before desired check-in date);
at 7 months or less you're up against all other DVC owners attempting to book reservations.

Go over all resort points charts to calculate how many points you'd need based on dates you may like to travel/number of days you like to vacation /type of villa you'd want. This is really the best way to get a clearer idea on number of points you'd need to own.

But do keep in mind, if you plan to travel to WDW every 2-3 years then you can divide that number of points you'd need to purchase by at least half because you can bank points to have double amount to use every 2nd year and by banking & borrowing there would be triple amount to use every 3rd year :

ie, purchase 100 pts then bank 2008 Use Year pts into 2009 Use Year and have 200 points available to use for trip during 2009 Use Year;

or purchase 100 pts & bank 2008 Use Year pts into 2009 Use Year & also borrow upcoming 2010 Use Year points into 2009 Use Year to have 300 points available to use for trip during 2009 Use Year.

In future if you find you'll travel more often or want a larger villa then you can purchase add-on points directly through Disney(25 pt minimum; BLT raises to 100 pt min on 1/15/09) or via the resale market as well.

You can purchase into DVC via resale market as a first time buyer and do so by purchasing a contract with less points than the minimum requirement for a direct first purchase through Disney . However financing, if you needed it, wouldn't be handled by Disney on a resale but either through your resale agent or arranged on your own.

Best wishes and hope you'll soon find the DVC contract that best fits your needs:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter