NEW Epcot Tour: World Showcase DestiNations Discovered

I know this sounds crazy, but for the price of this trip, neither of those lunch choices sound that great. Just not my type of food at all.

This may have been covered, but the no photography rule: Backstage photography is never allowed (except on the train tour, I think). I took the Marcelline to Magic Kingdom tour in March, and I would have given almost anything to take pictures inside HM. I previously took the old Undiscovered World Showcase tour (name might not be correct, it's been many years) and because WS doesn't open until 11, and your tour starts before that time, there are frequently golf carts stocking stands or other maintenance type work going on. We were told that's not what Disney wants people to see, so if there were people setting up a kiosk or there was any sort of maintenance going on onstage, we were still not allowed to take a picture. If it was just an empty pavilion, you could take photos no problem.

Thank you KeithNotKieth and Princess Mulan. Both of those dishes sound like something I would be comfortable ordering. Can't wait to go in October.

I think I'm going to wait on this. My schedule that day is a bit much and I don't want to get another park day added on to my ticket so it would effectively cost me twice as much.

Plus I want to wait and see if they do decided to do a pin and if someone with allergies goes on this tour and what their lunch options were.

Is it possible to take this tour if you need an ECV? I can walk a far amount on level ground, but get very short of breath on inclines, let alone stairs. Would I be able to do this with my able bodied DH and DS?

Wasn't there a similar tour offered maybe 8 years ago? I seem to recall being on a tour (it was just me and the cm) and we toured the world show case on foot(not Segway). One thing I remember asking the cm is why they had not replaced a cracked door in the Morocco pavilion. It seemed very unDisney like to me. He said that it was done on purpose by the Moroccan government builders because they believe no one can be more perfect than Allah. Perhaps it is the same tour revived?

There used to be one called Hidden Treasures of World Showcases. Great tour.
Behind scenes and lots of architectural info.
I am always looking for new tours to take. I will wait a little on this. Not too happy about the lunch choice. One of my least favorite restaurants, partially because of dietary restrictions.

Did this tour include Norway since there is so little of it left? Just curious.

This actually sounds interesting and the food appeals to me too.

Thanks for the reviews :) This sparked my interest as soon as I read about it, and it still sounds pretty interesting. We do like Marrakesh, would prefer a 3rd choice but can live with the current 2. DH and I did our first tour, KTTK, in March on our first trip w/o the kids and would like to do another tour when we go back by ourselves in Jan. or Feb. I was thinking Undiscovered FW, but depending on the reviews between now and then I may switch to this.

My opinion, and mine alone, is that the tour is slightly overpriced, even though I paid a discounted rate. I enjoyed the tour and am glad that I tried it. However, I think other tours provide more bang for the buck. Perhaps Disney will drop the price or will offer additional perks (a tour pin, maybe?) in the future. As with all things Disney, your mileage may vary, so please don't let my quibbling about the price dissuade you and your DD from taking the tour. A fellow tour participant, closer to your DD's age, volunteered that she learned a lot on the tour.

I appreciate your opinion and your posting your review. You laid out the facts for others to judge and weigh the merits of this new tour. I don't think a review is helpful if it's not honest or it only highlights the "good" parts, so thank you.

The tour takes place rain or shine, so be sure to bring an umbrella or a poncho. Also, you should bring your own water. Our tour guide did a great job in finding shade and providing plenty of rest stops, so I think you'll be fine in the heat of August.

Great advice:)

Geez no water? At KTTK tour you at least got a bottle of water when you checked in. They also gave you water for the Marceline tour. Just another example of Disney getting cheap.

That topic could be its own thread:upsidedow

I believe there were a couple of options the first one presented was a vegetarian dish that we passed on. The second was a plate that consisted of Roasted Chicken served over vegetables and couscous; which is what we went with. It wasn't bad, but not necessarily my meal of choice either. Dessert wasn't bad either -- I believe it was called Bastille and was a type of pastry covered with almonds and caramel.

Thank you for the thorough meal description. The bolded is how I've always felt about RM - not bad, but not great service or very exciting meal options, (although the evening dancing adds some flare). The food is tasty, but when you have all of Epcot, there are better choices. I think many others feel this way, too since I believe it's one of, if not the easiest, table services to get in to - China might be a close second?

We had only two choices for an entree: a vegetarian option of couscous with mixed vegetables or the same dish with chicken. We all were served bread, mint tea and three types of baklava. The meals were individual, not family style.

That's good to know, thank you. Just curious, did it include an appetizer and about how long were you there?

I know this sounds crazy, but for the price of this trip, neither of those lunch choices sound that great. Just not my type of food at all.
Not crazy at all. I look at it that with the -15% AP rate, it was just under $100. If the tour ends up five hours like advertised and lunch OOP would be about $30 or $35 with tip, then if you subtract that from the $100, the tour is about $13 an hour. But, we use TiW so our meal would have been 20% less…and we would have gone elsewhere, sooooo:rolleyes2

This may have been covered, but the no photography rule: Backstage photography is never allowed (except on the train tour, I think). I took the Marcelline to Magic Kingdom tour in March, and I would have given almost anything to take pictures inside HM. I previously took the old Undiscovered World Showcase tour (name might not be correct, it's been many years) and because WS doesn't open until 11, and your tour starts before that time, there are frequently golf carts stocking stands or other maintenance type work going on. We were told that's not what Disney wants people to see, so if there were people setting up a kiosk or there was any sort of maintenance going on onstage, we were still not allowed to take a picture. If it was just an empty pavilion, you could take photos no problem.

Thank you for further explaining the photography rules:)

Is it possible to take this tour if you need an ECV? I can walk a far amount on level ground, but get very short of breath on inclines, let alone stairs. Would I be able to do this with my able bodied DH and DS?

Good question. I don't know what the HA compliancy for this tour is. You may have to call Reservations to get a definitive answer: 407-939-5277.

Did this tour include Norway since there is so little of it left? Just curious.

This actually sounds interesting and the food appeals to me too.

Just smelling Laila perfume wafting through Norway makes me smile:)

Thanks for the reviews :) This sparked my interest as soon as I read about it, and it still sounds pretty interesting. We do like Marrakesh, would prefer a 3rd choice but can live with the current 2. DH and I did our first tour, KTTK, in March on our first trip w/o the kids and would like to do another tour when we go back by ourselves in Jan. or Feb. I was thinking Undiscovered FW, but depending on the reviews between now and then I may switch to this.

I'll be taking the tour 24 August and will try to post a review while still on vacation:)

I appreciate your opinion and your posting your review. You laid out the facts for others to judge and weigh the merits of this new tour. I don't think a review is helpful if it's not honest or it only highlights the "good" parts, so thank you.

Great advice:)

That topic could be its own thread:upsidedow

Thank you for the thorough meal description. The bolded is how I've always felt about RM - not bad, but not great service or very exciting meal options, (although the evening dancing adds some flare). The food is tasty, but when you have all of Epcot, there are better choices. I think many others feel this way, too since I believe it's one of, if not the easiest, table services to get in to - China might be a close second?

That's good to know, thank you. Just curious, did it include an appetizer and about how long were you there?

Not crazy at all. I look at it that with the -15% AP rate, it was just under $100. If the tour ends up five hours like advertised and lunch OOP would be about $30 or $35 with tip, then if you subtract that from the $100, the tour is about $13 an hour. But, we use TiW so our meal would have been 20% less…and we would have gone elsewhere, sooooo:rolleyes2

Thank you for further explaining the photography rules:)

Good question. I don't know what the HA compliancy for this tour is. You may have to call Reservations to get a definitive answer: 407-939-5277.

Just smelling Laila perfume wafting through Norway makes me smile:)

I'll be taking the tour 24 August and will try to post a review while still on vacation:)

To answer your questions, our lunch did not include an appetizer, and it was less than an hour. We did not feel rushed and had plenty of time for conversation. I would agree with your opinion that World Showcase offers more exciting choices for lunch, but I would guess that it's a good option for the tour because it is easy to get a table, the décor is pretty, and the food would appeal to most diners.

I have not taken the tour as yet (will do on a future solo trip). I have taken many tours, several tours with an ECV, including the very comprehensive Backstage Magic. I would check with reservations, but I would be very surprised if not able to do so.

It is indicated as okay here on WDWMagic, generally exceptionally accurate.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/world-showcase-destinations-discovered.htm

I took this tour earlier this week, Tuesday 6/30. I thought it was just going to be me and the tour guide until I saw Kathy Werling come in. :earseek:

Our tour was hosted by Robert, who is awesome and also conducts the FW tour and other VIP tours, but there seems to be 2 or 3 guides that rotate while the tour is still new. It starts in Guest Relations with the expected history discussion about Walt Disney and origins of EPCOT. From there you work your way down to WS and work your way around to each country starting with Canada and ending inside Mexico. We were taken backstage at Canada, France, and the Outpost to see the illuminations barges. All other experiences are "on stage" and pictures are allowed for those areas. (80% of the tour is on-stage). At each country your are given backstory to the façades and their cultural relevance. Learning more in-depth information about the showcase pavilions is really the draw for this tour. The backstage element is really not a focus like parts of the Keys to the Kingdom, Future World Undiscovered, or Backstage Magic tours. Lunch w/ dessert is included at Marrakesh in the Morocco pavilion.

I like to think of myself as an EPCOT pro myself, but there were MANY facts and callouts that I never knew. One could take this tour without really ruining any of the magic, but it seems to be geared more towards those looking for an in-depth look into the creation, lore, and culture of each of the WS pavilions. I believe Kathy will be posting a blog review soon so that should also provide some more insight and photos! For now, I hope this helps everyone get a better idea.

I agree that I learned lots of new things when we took the tour. I was hoping to remember all of it but I am sure it will come back to me the next time I walk around World Showcase. It was fun taking the tour with you.

I agree that I learned lots of new things when we took the tour. I was hoping to remember all of it but I am sure it will come back to me the next time I walk around World Showcase. It was fun taking the tour with you.
Really enjoyed reading your review and photos. Feel free to post any details that come back to you;)

Has anyone done this tour in the last couple months? Just looking for more reviews....still deciding between this and Undiscovered Futureworld for our Jan. trip!

Gosh I'm always so torn in doing Disney tours. On one hand they SOUND and LOOK amazing, on the other hand, no matter how many times I visit each park, I just want to spend the time in the park and not doing the tours. It's such a conundrum! Last year we did do the snorkeling in the Epcot tank and it was really amazing!! I just want to do everything and there aren't enough hours in the day! :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter